Welcome Back! Conversion Complete, Rebuild Underway

RadioRob
This topic is 1023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

15 hours ago, RadioRob said:

I get it. I can technically rename the button in the language file if it really bothers everyone.  But it would not actually change what happens on the back end. As far as the public is concerned, the post is “deleted” when hidden. No one actually sees it anymore except for the moderating team. 

My guess was if someone was harassing others and deleting the posts as a way to avoid moderation, I could see why this setting was the way it is. 

I was not subject to the explanation on why things were done like this. I simply carried the action over. 

Now I understand.  I was thinking that I sometimes say things that I am very embarrassed at saying, never harassing or of that nature, just things that I would be embarrassed to find that anyone heard came out of my lips or fingers.  So I always thought they went into the ether once erased/deleted.  Now the kids know things never go away.  So thanks for the explanation.

Sorry if this has been answered already - I've looked but don't see anything. There was an option to "watch" a thread and when someone posted to that thread a notification would be sent to anyone who was "watching". Will that be coming back or has it been replaced with something else or is it just gone. And if it's gone then what are "notifications" for? Thanks

2 hours ago, sf westcoaster said:

How do I search for a member?  

I was able to search for a member by first clicking in the Search window.  A set of options popped up. I clicked on "More options..." which is toward the top, then clicked on "Members" and entered the member name in the search window.  

Guest MikeThomas

A big thanks to @RadioRob for all of his hard work.  

An observation... not a complaint.  I haven’t been getting any notifications since the migration.  Perhaps things I follow were cleared.  I’ve checked my notification settings and everything looks good.  Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:59 PM, RadioRob said:

I get it. I can technically rename the button in the language file if it really bothers everyone.  But it would not actually change what happens on the back end. As far as the public is concerned, the post is “deleted” when hidden. No one actually sees it anymore except for the moderating team. 

My guess was if someone was harassing others and deleting the posts as a way to avoid moderation, I could see why this setting was the way it is. 

I was not subject to the explanation on why things were done like this. I simply carried the action over. 

actually a year ago January i was in a very dangerous situation in another country where i could not get the mods (not this site) to delete or hide a post for 24hours. so it does happen unexpectedly. 

i've noticed twitter tweets are embedded again, which is so much better than cut and paste. Thank you. 

Edited by tassojunior

On 5/23/2021 at 1:06 PM, alexslaveboy said:

@RadioRob

I am so thankful to you for all that you are doing!!🙏🙏🙏

Is the migration complete?

I noticed a few of my recent threads were still missing and some of my mailbox conversations as well 

Just wondering if it's just me or a conversion thing 

I am however so glad that we are up and running and love the format ❤

The migration is complete.  Some threads from the 2-3 days before the migration appear to be improperly linked to other threads from a prior conversion Daddy did when he moved from vBulletin to Xenforo.  

I'm working to see if I can manually fix this, but I'm not sure if it's going to be possible without a BUNCH of effort.  (I'm still looking into it however.)

17 hours ago, Autumnal said:

Sorry if this has been answered already - I've looked but don't see anything. There was an option to "watch" a thread and when someone posted to that thread a notification would be sent to anyone who was "watching". Will that be coming back or has it been replaced with something else or is it just gone. And if it's gone then what are "notifications" for? Thanks

Notifications can be configured at:

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/options/

You can choose what you receive notifications for and if it's via the notification system or if it's via email.  Notifications will work for anything generated through Invision.  Meaning old notifications won't carry over, but as you get replies and send messages you'll start getting notifications for anything "new".  

On 5/23/2021 at 1:18 PM, Lookin said:

Second, I tried inserting an image whose URL began with https.  It was rejected because it didn't begin with http.  I know the old XenForo site would accept an https image and I'm pretty sure the other Invision site I post on will do the same.  Is that an option that will be available for this site too?

I'm using the Microsoft Edge Browser and I'm able to insert images by right clicking and selecting "copy image" and then "paste."  I hope I'm not over-simplifying your issue, I'm not all that tech savvy, and I have not tried the link insertions for the more risqué images.

Edited by sync

On 5/23/2021 at 1:18 PM, Lookin said:

Thanks so much not only for the conversion but, most of all, for the preservation of hysterical - make that historical - content!  It's been interesting to get a hint of how websites work, and a pleasure to know we have a web-tamer in our very midst!

A couple of questions on formatting and images:

First, I tried to use the HTML code for strikethrough - [s][/s] - above, but it didn't work.  Another Invision board I post on has trouble with HTML codes too but instead it has some formatting icons at the top of the editing window, including strikethrough, text size, text color, left, right, centering and a handful of others.  Will those formatting icons eventually be turned on for this site too?  Or is there a trick that allows HTML codes to be used instead?  (I think the other Invision site had a gear-wheel icon in the editing window that allowed some codes to be used.)

Second, I tried inserting an image whose URL began with https.  It was rejected because it didn't begin with http.  I know the old XenForo site would accept an https image and I'm pretty sure the other Invision site I post on will do the same.  Is that an option that will be available for this site too?

These certainly aren't urgent needs but, if it's just an issue of flicking a few switches or my learning a few new tricks, it would be great to have those options.

Thanks again!  🤙

Strikethrough is still available.  This is an example. 

You can't use old legacy BBcode anymore.  Those are the ones that are wrapped in [ ]'s.  

The editor shows strikethrough as an available option in the menu when you are using a laptop/desktop/tablet.  If you are using a mobile device, strikethrough does not show up by default.  I can add it, but we would have to remove something else displayed instead to make room.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 4.20.46 PM.png

Regarding Images, they must contain HTTPS not HTTP.  The reason for this is because if you embed a not-secure image, it would cause users who browse the page to get a security warning because some items are secure and some are not.  Daddy's site does not make use of SSL (meaning HTTPS).  To improve our security, I am using a full user-to-browser encryption.  This is the same type of security used to secure the communication between you and your bank.  

5 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Strikethrough is still available.  This is an example. 

You can't use old legacy BBcode anymore.  Those are the ones that are wrapped in [ ]'s.  

The editor shows strikethrough as an available option in the menu when you are using a laptop/desktop/tablet.  If you are using a mobile device, strikethrough does not show up by default.  I can add it, but we would have to remove something else displayed instead to make room.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 4.20.46 PM.png

Thanks.  For some reason, my editing window shows only a subset of the formatting icons shown in your editing window.  Your window shows all the formatting options I'm used to seeing in the other Invision site I use.

Not sure why I've got fewer options, even as I type this post.  Your window has eighteen icons, and mine has only ten.  Strikethrough, text size, text color, and the three alignment icons don't appear on my screen.

I'll just hang on for awhile and hope they return.  Sometimes things resolve themselves in the still of the night.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Lookin said:

Thanks.  For some reason, my editing window shows only a subset of the formatting icons shown in your editing window.  Your window shows all the formatting options I'm used to seeing in the other Invision site I use.

Not sure why I've got fewer options, even as I type this post.  Your window has eighteen icons, and mine has only ten.  Strikethrough, text size, text color, and the three alignment icons don't appear on my screen.

I'll just hang on for awhile and hope they return.  Sometimes things resolve themselves in the still of the night.

spacer.png

Are you browsing from your phone or from a laptop/desktop?

15 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Not sure why I've got fewer options, even as I type this post.  Your window has eighteen icons, and mine has only ten.  Strikethrough, text size, text color, and the three alignment icons don't appear on my screen

I'm using a MacBook Pro as well. Those icons were hidden until I widened my window to the whole screen. For some reason, it's hiding rather than wrapping them if there is not enough room across.

9 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

Can you post a screenshot of what your reply window looks like?

Here it is:

1839574237_Daddyseditingwindow.thumb.png.8cab752db7f07c6e8f2927d1cc04b60b.png

And here's the editing window from the Gay Guides site.  It looks pretty close to the one you have, with strikethrough, text size, text color, etc.

358472926_GayGuideseditingwindow.thumb.png.9365c0ce991b5e26cbe91bfdd6df2e00.png

That would explain it. The open source editor Invision uses tries to prevent wrapping because it takes even more real estate away from replying and from the stuff users are reading. 

Making the window bigger would indeed make more options appear. 

Got it!  I made the window as wide as I could and got no change.  Just more white space.

What did work was just now hitting the text-size button in my Safari browser.  For some reason, going to a larger text size in the same size window brings in the missing icons.  Going to a smaller text size drops them out.  On the Gay Guides site, it makes no difference.  Go figure.

Many thanks to you and @Orinfor your help!  🤙  I'm back in business.

Edited by Lookin

8 minutes ago, Lookin said:

Got it!  I made the window as wide as I could and got no change.  Just more white space.

What did work was just now hitting the text-size button in my Safari browser.  For some reason, going to a larger text size in the same size window brings in the missing icons.  Going to a smaller text size drops them out.  On the Gay Guides site, it makes no difference.  Go figure.

Many thanks to you and @Orinfor your help!  🤙  I'm back in business.

Gotta love fickle browsers!!  I’m glad you were able to get it squared away!

This topic is 1023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.