Welcome Back! Conversion Complete, Rebuild Underway

RadioRob
This topic is 1029 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

9 minutes ago, EVdude said:

Is there anyway to get this on an iPhone, rather than hidden in the menu?

Yes.  Click on the mega menu button first, then click on the mailbox icon.  In my screenshot below, it's the three lines to the right of the logo. Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 3.57.36 PM.png

For mobile devices, you have the extra step because there is not enough screen "real estate" to have the extra buttons on the main display.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 4.02.00 PM.png

1 hour ago, RadioRob said:

Yes.  Click on the mega menu button first, then click on the mailbox icon.  In my screenshot below, it's the three lines to the right of the logo. Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 3.57.36 PM.png

For mobile devices, you have the extra step because there is not enough screen "real estate" to have the extra buttons on the main display.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 4.02.00 PM.png

Ah, duh! Thanks. I will miss the instant gratification of seeing emails and notifications on the home page. Stellar conversion. Appreciate all of your efforts. 

35 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

does the site now host images? it seems to.

Yes and no.  

Yes - You CAN attach files.  
No - Our server itself is not hosting them.  We're using a file storage company called Wasabi to host images.  This provides us with 1TB of storage and no bandwidth limits.  It basically uploads the images there and automatically embeds the link into the post for you.  

56 minutes ago, latbear4blk said:

@RadioRob, you have managed a quick and successful server transfer, now you are running a sweet software and interface switch, AND you are mentoring us through the learning curve. I cannot help it, I must kiss your ass.

tenor.gif

I know it's a bit much but I guess I will have to offer to eat it then.   😘.   :p

25 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

what is the new time limit for "edit" ? seems very short.

It's set to the default value of 5 minutes.  This value is set per member group, so I can change it pretty easily.  

I'm open to some suggestions on what to change it to.  

It's set to the default value of 5 minutes.  This value is set per member group, so I can change it pretty easily.  

I'm open to some suggestions on what to change it to.  

5-minutes is a bizarre edit limit.@stevenkesslar can't read many of his in 5 minutes to catch an error to edit. (not that he ever makes any). 

i don't think this new site has a "delete" function any more. 

Edited by tassojunior

6 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

5-minutes is a bizarre edit limit.@stevenkesslar can't read many of his in 5 minutes to catch an error to edit. (not that he ever makes any). 

The old site did not have a “delete” function. It simply hid the post. Admins/mods could always see the posts deleted by someone. That logic was applied here as well. 

2 hours ago, RadioRob said:

The old site did not have a “delete” function. It simply hid the post. Admins/mods could always see the posts deleted by someone. That logic was applied here as well. 

That seems a bit odd (I guess).  There may be a very legitimate reason why someone does not want anyone at all to see a post that was mistakenly entered.  The poster may not want a post merely hidden but rather deleted altogether.  But maybe that is just me.

9 minutes ago, TruthBTold said:

That seems a bit odd (I guess).  There may be a very legitimate reason why someone does not want anyone at all to see a post that was mistakenly entered.  The poster may not want a post merely hidden but rather deleted altogether.  But maybe that is just me.

I get it. I can technically rename the button in the language file if it really bothers everyone.  But it would not actually change what happens on the back end. As far as the public is concerned, the post is “deleted” when hidden. No one actually sees it anymore except for the moderating team. 

My guess was if someone was harassing others and deleting the posts as a way to avoid moderation, I could see why this setting was the way it is. 

I was not subject to the explanation on why things were done like this. I simply carried the action over. 

4 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Given that I have not gotten any feedback on suggested times, I've arbitrarily set the limit to 60 minutes.  Any member can edit their content for the first 60 minutes from the time it was first created.  

Given that I have not gotten any feedback on suggested times, I've arbitrarily set the limit to 60 minutes.  Any member can edit their content for the first 60 minutes from the time it was first created.  

Why not after 60 minutes? There wasn't a time limit previously.

9 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Personally I appreciated that there was no time limit to edit things. I have not been shy here about the fact that I have issues with vision and dyslexia.  I can read things five times and not catch errors in “speling” or the problem with grammar or “the words of order”.   Plus I have my keyboard set for two languages and at times they fight and produce bizarre results.   

I guess I will have to be more careful and not worry about looking somewhat foolish in the eyes of the “grammar and spelling police” if I don’t catch things in time.   So just my two cents on the issue.  Thanks. 

Otherwise so far so good with the new design.  Kudos!

PS: As you can see I had to edit this and who knows if I fought everything!🙂

Edited by whipped guy

One more question.  I am having trouble using the search function to locate posts of various members that I might have missed.  When I put in the members name and time frame it asks for a tag as well.  Not sure what to type, but  using the members screen name as a tag does not seem to locate anything.  Perhaps search is not totally functioning as of yet, or I am doing something incorrectly.  Thanks! 

@RadioRob

I am so thankful to you for all that you are doing!!🙏🙏🙏

Is the migration complete?

I noticed a few of my recent threads were still missing and some of my mailbox conversations as well 

Just wondering if it's just me or a conversion thing 

I am however so glad that we are up and running and love the format ❤

Thanks so much not only for the conversion but, most of all, for the preservation of hysterical - make that historical - content!  It's been interesting to get a hint of how websites work, and a pleasure to know we have a web-tamer in our very midst!

A couple of questions on formatting and images:

First, I tried to use the HTML code for strikethrough - [s][/s] - above, but it didn't work.  Another Invision board I post on has trouble with HTML codes too but instead it has some formatting icons at the top of the editing window, including strikethrough, text size, text color, left, right, centering and a handful of others.  Will those formatting icons eventually be turned on for this site too?  Or is there a trick that allows HTML codes to be used instead?  (I think the other Invision site had a gear-wheel icon in the editing window that allowed some codes to be used.)

Second, I tried inserting an image whose URL began with https.  It was rejected because it didn't begin with http.  I know the old XenForo site would accept an https image and I'm pretty sure the other Invision site I post on will do the same.  Is that an option that will be available for this site too?

These certainly aren't urgent needs but, if it's just an issue of flicking a few switches or my learning a few new tricks, it would be great to have those options.

Thanks again!  🤙

Edited by Lookin

This topic is 1029 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.