Replacing Xenforo with Invision Community

RadioRob
This topic is 1049 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was just trying to see the existing content, forums and threads. I kinda feel like an idiot here, seeing that others like it, but I can't make head nor tail of the new format. Is the concept of different forums (like Gallery, Spa, etc) still there, and if so how do I get to it?

The main test board address is:

https://www.companyofmen.org/beta/

On that page, you will see a list of all of the forums. The DEFAULT view looks like cards... so as you scroll down on that page, you will see a list of all of the different forums such as the Deli, Spa, etc.

A direct link to the Deli for example:

https://www.companyofmen.org/beta/forum/8-the-deli/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it - and given the EOS for Xenforo, it makes sense to move to Invision. @RadioRob - please let us know if you need UAT folks for what you'd like to see on the conversion MVP to the new package. but at the least if the same basic functionalities that exist in Xenforo can tranfer over to Invision, then should be a fairly reasonable lift and shift (except for possibly the data migration)

Thank you again for your efforts. I recognize everyone's reactions to change fall along a spectrum. However, as an encouragement to any who might be nervous, I was immediately able to find the formatting that was most similar to what is current. Once I did that, it was no different except the print was larger and I think the member profiles may be preferable in the Beta site. So, with just a little time and some of the instructions @RadioRob has already included, I think most members can adjust quickly.

I agree with @Benjamin_Nicholas assertion that less is more, in general, but if the platform the current forum is on is growing obsolete and difficult to support, then there may be little choice. Just a few weeks ago, we weren't sure the forum would even be accessible or survive. Thanks to @RadioRob it has. So far he has done nothing but steer us to safer waters. For my part, I can accept his recommendation and appreciate the consideration of allowing us to explore and test it as opposed to forcing it on folks. Very considerate.

By the way... if the majority of folks don't like the stock images I picked, feel free to recommend replacements. I'm by no means tied to selections made. They're just quick "what could go here" type selections. I literally went to the stock image picker and searched for things like "deli", "spa", etc.

The main test board address is:

https://www.companyofmen.org/beta/

On that page, you will see a list of all of the forums. The DEFAULT view looks like cards... so as you scroll down on that page, you will see a list of all of the different forums such as the Deli, Spa, etc.

A direct link to the Deli for example:

https://www.companyofmen.org/beta/forum/8-the-deli/

Very weird. I don't see anything when I scroll down that page, and the direct link to the deli gives "Sorry, there is a problem / We could not locate the item you are trying to view. / Error code: 2F176/1". I've tried on both Chrome and Edge, and I've tried logging out of my account & back in again.

Very weird. I don't see anything when I scroll down that page, and the direct link to the deli gives "Sorry, there is a problem / We could not locate the item you are trying to view. / Error code: 2F176/1". I've tried on both Chrome and Edge, and I've tried logging out of my account & back in again.

Same here, but here's the rub, when I log out the forum content is visible. Now I think about it, the card view of the site was visible before I logged in, but not afterwards. At the time I had put it down to operator error in navigating the forum. (I love the opera house photo for the Asia/Africa/Australia forum [for obvious reasons, but it is a great shot], and had a laugh at the sausage image for the Deli, entirely appropriate on a number of levels.)

Same here, but here's the rub, when I log out the forum content is visible. Now I think about it, the card view of the site was visible before I logged in, but not afterwards. At the time I had put it down to operator error in navigating the forum. (I love the opera house photo for the Asia/Africa/Australia forum [for obvious reasons, but it is a great shot], and had a laugh at the sausage image for the Deli, entirely appropriate on a number of levels.)

Huh. Same for me, when I log out I can see content. Something messed up with a handful of accounts? What do @mike carey and I have in common? :-)

I found the problem

Huh. Same for me, when I log out I can see content. Something messed up with a handful of accounts? What do @mike carey and I have in common? :)

That was the hint I needed. As I suspected, it was a permission problem. I ran a query for all members (non-banned), and took that result to reset permissions for anyone who might have been effected. I've also noted this for when I convert the site again later when we do the actual conversion so it does not happen again.

Our Xenforo license is expired. As a result, I can't download security updates/patches.

To me, this is the only point that matters. If this site doesn't get security updates, it becomes vulnerable to hacks. And there is a lot of "personal" data on this site, so there is an interest in keeping it as secure as possible.

The other stuff doesn't really matter. Users will adjust.

I found the problem

That was the hint I needed. As I suspected, it was a permission problem. I ran a query for all members (non-banned), and took that result to reset permissions for anyone who might have been effected. I've also noted this for when I convert the site again later when we do the actual conversion so it does not happen again.

Yay! Brilliant, thanks Rob!

I ran a query for all members (non-banned),

By the way, and apologizing in advance for derailing the thread, what do you all think about a general pardon to all members banned before Daddy's passing? I do not even know who they are, or how many, but I think it would be a nice gesture. Keeping the record, but offering a second chance.

By the way, and apologizing in advance for derailing the thread, what do you all think about a general pardon to all members banned before Daddy's passing? I do not even know who they are, or how many, but I think it would be a nice gesture. Keeping the record, but offering a second chance.

That will need to be something discussed by the moderator team. I'll pose the question in the moderator forum.

Change does not stop. We do die.

And if we cannot adjust to change, you will stand still as the world goes on without you. People who are very set in their ways and want things to always remain the same lose out on life and turn people away with that mentality. As I grow older, I always try to remind myself of this and I believe it keeps me younger in thought.

And if we cannot adjust to change, you will stand still as the world goes on without you. People who are very set in their ways and want things to always remain the same lose out on life and turn people away with that mentality. As I grow older, I always try to remind myself of this and I believe it keeps me younger in thought.

This always makes me think of the story of the Zax. I'll leave to you all to figure out what that is. ;)

Not sure I agree, Some Former Members have been vocal about not liking some members here, not just Daddy.

This topic is 1049 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.