Short Stories

JEC
This topic is 1078 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have to admit, I'm not an avid reader of literature. I read a lot online, and have to read a lot for work. Plus, I just finished my Masters (2.5 years of LOTS of reading) and I am always on the move. So I really don't have that "snuggle up with a book" gene. But, I do buy "The Best American Short Stories" every year, usually coinciding with a vacation. I find short stories fit my appetite for literature, the work is still first rate, they are just.....short. Recommend this series to all who like me have a short attention span and otherwise find it hard to dig into a 3-400 page book. Cheers, Jack

There are times when I just have to be blatantly self-promotional. If you like to read short stories, and you're not that particular about whether they were formally published, there are several websites where you can read lots of them. One of those is my Wordpress blog, which has about 120 of my own stories. The preponderance of them are political, in one way or another, and I have a tendency towards stories in which a group of people accomplishes something, as opposed to some singular hero. So, click over if you're interested, or not.

I have to admit, I'm not an avid reader of literature. I read a lot online, and have to read a lot for work. Plus, I just finished my Masters (2.5 years of LOTS of reading) and I am always on the move. So I really don't have that "snuggle up with a book" gene. But, I do buy "The Best American Short Stories" every year, usually coinciding with a vacation. I find short stories fit my appetite for literature, the work is still first rate, they are just.....short. Recommend this series to all who like me have a short attention span and otherwise find it hard to dig into a 3-400 page book. Cheers, Jack

a good friend of mine told me once that he thought men particularly like short stories; I agree

There are times when I just have to be blatantly self-promotional. If you like to read short stories, and you're not that particular about whether they were formally published, there are several websites where you can read lots of them. One of those is my Wordpress blog, which has about 120 of my own stories. The preponderance of them are political, in one way or another, and I have a tendency towards stories in which a group of people accomplishes something, as opposed to some singular hero. So, click over if you're interested, or not.

Thanks @Orin I will check your site out, thanks!

I have to agree with you that when I was working, short stories did the trick for me in satiating my appetite for literature. Now that I am retired I can read full length novels but these days I’m more into nonfiction.

One of the books I’m currently reading is vol 5 of The Letters of Hemingway edited by Cambridge Press. It takes me weeks to get through each volume and they appear about every two years. Now I am reading his letters in the 1932 to 34 period when he was mostly in Key West, Cuba, Spain and his first trip to Africa.

All this time he was working on short stories and full length works simultaneously. It’s a fascinating insight into the workings of an artist who incorporated his life experiences into his art.

I have to agree with you that when I was working, short stories did the trick for me in satiating my appetite for literature. Now that I am retired I can read full length novels but these days I’m more into nonfiction.

One of the books I’m currently reading is vol 5 of The Letters of Hemingway edited by Cambridge Press. It takes me weeks to get through each volume and they appear about every two years. Now I am reading his letters in the 1932 to 34 period when he was mostly in Key West, Cuba, Spain and his first trip to Africa.

All this time he was working on short stories and full length works simultaneously. It’s a fascinating insight into the workings of an artist who incorporated his life experiences into his art.

I watched the first part of the Hemingway documentary on our PBS station last night. Well done interesting film by Ken Burns.

The film mentioned his well known short story Indian Camp as one example how his writing stood out from the rest in those times.