Any Tchaikovsky fans here?

kingsley88
This topic is 934 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just noticed from following Matthew Bourne on insta that it's Pyotr Tchaikovsky's birthday today! I'm grateful to have seen all three of his ballets (Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and Sleeping Beauty) here in NYC throughout the past X years of living here and am simply moved by his music.

Anyways, just wondering if there are other Tchaikovsky fans here in this forum.

[MEDIA=instagram]COkFi0vgnm1[/MEDIA]

Just noticed from following Matthew Bourne on insta that it's Pyotr Tchaikovsky's birthday today! I'm grateful to have seen all three of his ballets (Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and Sleeping Beauty) here in NYC throughout the past X years of living here and am simply moved by his music.

Anyways, just wondering if there are other Tchaikovsky fans here in this forum.

[MEDIA=instagram]COkFi0vgnm1[/MEDIA]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love anything by Tchaikovsky. Brahms too. But Tchaikovsky’s music always keeps me engaged more. I read somewhere that Brahms and Tchaikovsky didn’t care for each others music, but they are my two favorite composers. Love their symphonies especially the last three of Tchaikovsky , and the first two of Brahms. The first piano concertos of each. And probably the two greatest violin concertos of all time. Not to mention the other chamber music, and Tchaikovsky’s ballet suites.

Tchaikovsky lived a tortured life as a closet homosexual in 19th century Russia. That’s why his music can be so melancholic and gloomy. 

Sure Tchaikovsky can come across as a bit maudlin.... and his work is often overplayed, but...

I recently re-watched the film version of E.M. Forster's "Maurice" which uses Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony effectively as a strategy of disclosure for Clive as he woos Maurice, and through the lush music provides evidence of the ways that music, like literature, can take part in individual and social formations.

And it tugs (just a bit) at the heart strings.....