Doing Taxes

Lucky
This topic is 1073 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had never filed with Turbo Tax until this year and was glad I tried because the first time they require your 2019 gross as an ID for IRS and I discovered my 2019 federal had never been received (tiny refund). My DC had been received and cashed and I mailed them at the same time. Luckily I had copies'

I assume because of the post office pandemic problems this was a big issue last year. Good to check and make sure last year's returns were received. (I used Priority this year and already got delivery confirmations).

It is very difficult to make the calculations and fill out the forms while someone is sitting on any part of your anatomy.

Sounds like the voice of experience?

HA! I DID!!!

After I posted above that I would do my taxes on Monday, the Yankee game went into rain delay. So, I had some time and read the LA Times online. There I found this article:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-05-08/file-taxes-free-online

Based on that, I went to the Credit Karma link. Last year I paid TaxAct about $200 to do my taxes, so a free one seemed great*.

I filled out all of the forms and ended up paying minor taxes due. Then the Yankee game came back on!

Sometimes things just work out!

*The catch with Credit Karma is that you allow them to use your information so I expect to get hit up with advertisements. They claim you have a choice in this, but the choice seemed to me to be agree or don't use them!

Edited by Lucky

make sure to use Priority Mail ($7) to track. otherwise your chances of receipt by IRS are not great.

I was told by an enrolled agent that in case of a dispute, you had to have had it sent *certified* + return receipt with signature for proof that it had been delivered. Mere tracking information would not have been sufficient in a court case.