Michelin restaurant list for NYC

cany10011

Michelin restaurant list for NYC

Does it bother anyone else that the OP didn't bother to ensure his link works? :confused:

Why would I be bothered by the lack of alphabetization of a list of restuarants I won't be able to dine in?

Is it just a co-inky-dink that this was today's strip?

2097046.gif

Actually, it was from a couple of days ago, but the site won't let me edit the word 'today's'.

( Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console. )

Edited by samhexum

is out....https://blog.opentable.com/2021/nyc-michelin-stars/?ref=9472&cmpid=em_Email&2021&utm_source=mg&utm_medium=email

Does it bother anyone else that they didn't bother to alphabetize their list??

I can understand why phonebooks are alphabetized but it's not as if the number of Michelin starred restaurants is particularly long, even in New York City.

I don't know the reason; is it perhaps based on seniority, i.e. the longest they have been on the list gets top billing?

I can understand why phonebooks are alphabetized but it's not as if the number of Michelin starred restaurants is particularly long, even in New York City.

I don't know the reason; is it perhaps based on seniority, i.e. the longest they have been on the list gets top billing?

i have no idea... was just wondering if the august members on this forum knew any better.

Let's ask Benjamin Nicholas if he considers this list accurate since he's obviously been to more of these places than me, a New Yorker. That man sure gets around this town.

Sidenote: I don't aim to hit Michelin spots. If it happens, it happens.

Some of my most favorite meals in Manhattan- and the boroughs- are from very small eateries, pre-Michelin stars (or none at all).

This new list has the same names as always, so I'm not sure if that's a testament to consistency or list laziness. I don't see how Peter Luger made one star, as it's been a dusty, boring, overpriced relic for awhile now. Gramercy Tavern is worth the splurge (and the star).

Of the three star spots, only Le Bernardin is a wow over and over again. I love their food.

Masa pisses me off. Their pricing is just bragging rights for the yacht rock crowd.

Some of my most favorite meals in Manhattan- and the boroughs- are from very small eateries, pre-Michelin stars (or none at all).

This new list has the same names as always, so I'm not sure if that's a testament to consistency or list laziness. I don't see how Peter Luger made one star, as it's been a dusty, boring, overpriced relic for awhile now. Gramercy Tavern is worth the splurge (and the star).

Of the three star spots, only Le Bernardin is a wow over and over again. I love their food.

Masa pisses me off. Their pricing is just bragging rights for the yacht rock crowd.

This post resonates with me. Some of the best meals I've had in Manhattan were in small. out of the way restaurants, where I was taken by locals.

This post resonates with me. Some of the best meals I've had in Manhattan were in small. out of the way restaurants, where I was taken by locals.

There was a charming tiny 12-seat restaurant with a fireplace and gorgeous flower arrangements in the east village - 9th Street Market. It was one of my all time favorite spots in the late 90s. Sadly it is no longer there. Lots of great asian /japanese restaurants now on the list. Trying Kochi tomorrow. A lot great spots are run by alums of the 2 or 3 star places. Those are the fun ones to go to as the prices are still reasonable and they try hard to impress.

There was a charming tiny 12-seat restaurant with a fireplace and gorgeous flower arrangements in the east village - 9th Street Market. It was one of my all time favorite spots in the late 90s. Sadly it is no longer there. Lots of great asian /japanese restaurants now on the list. Trying Kochi tomorrow. A lot great spots are run by alums of the 2 or 3 star places. Those are the fun ones to go to as the prices are still reasonable and they try hard to impress.

Does it bother anyone else that they didn't bother to alphabetize their list??

Does it bother anyone else that the OP didn't bother to ensure his link works? :confused:

Why would I be bothered by the lack of alphabetization of a list of restuarants I won't be able to dine in?

maybe...it's not meant to be alphabetized...maybe, they have some super-secret sub-ranking of the groups by longevity or clout...or by how ridiculously expensive the menus are...

LIVING

The 2021 Michelin star restaurant ratings are utter BS

By Steve Cuozzo

The Michelin Red Guide, the only restaurant “bible” published by a tire company, needs to be retired.

Its New York City book — which released its star ratings online Thursday — has meant near zilch to anyone except Michelin-mad foreigners and ego-inflated chefs since it launched its hilariously error-strewn first edition in 2005.

The 2021 book is all that, and worse. Announced eight months later than the customary September or October release, its star ratings for 68 eateries are as out of date as a Howard Johnson’s paper placemat menu — and about as useful.

Michelin should have waited until this coming fall to bless Big Apple diners with its imperious, anonymously compiled twinklers. Instead, it plunged ahead with star rankings that might not reflect reality after the most tumultuous restaurant-industry upheaval in history.

Michelin’s three-star winners are exactly the same as in the 2020 guide, which came out in pre-pandemic October 2019. The two-star roster is mostly the same as in 2020.

The three-star galaxy consists of exactly the same five Manhattan places: Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, Masa, Per Se and Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare.

But of course, Eleven Madison Park will be a completely different restaurant than it was when Michelin last visited when it reopens on June 10 with an all-vegan menu after a 15-month shutdown.

Even without 180-degree concept reversals, no restaurant in town has been reopened long enough to properly critique as they grapple with unprecedented upheavals to the dining scene.

Take with a grain of sel Michelin’s claim that some inspections were done since recent indoor reopenings. One-star

Bâtard wasn’t likely among them: It reopened exactly two days ago on May 5. Certain other important places on which the guide bestows stars actually remain closed — among them, the Modern, Le Jardinier, the Clocktower, Le Coucou and Blanca.

The restaurant world hasn’t been normal since March 13, 2020. Most places served only outdoors, if at all, until two months ago. The tire-testers likely couldn’t have experienced many menus since February of 2020. Often chaotic and improvised outdoor service doesn’t count.

Among those back in business, few can be their former selves after mass staff turnovers, ever-changing state and city rules, and the loss of many customers to the Hamptons and beyond.

Since the March 2020 shutdown, major publications have held off on giving star ratings for a simple reason: It’s unfair both to readers and restaurants to subject places to unforgiving micro-scrutiny when chefs and employees are doing their best just to get by in extreme circumstances.

But to Michelin, all’s fair in a pandemic. Bon appétit!

I have to agree that awarding stars to both old and new recipients for a dining experience that has been largely absent for the last 14 months is meaningless. Michelin should have just announced that they would wait until 2022 to restart the process.

I can’t see the situation being any different in France. I wonder what they have done there.