Can we get to $10k?

JEC
This topic is 1095 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Forum Members,

We have raised $8200, amazing! 72 amazing donors have contributed.

There are 8235 members here, and 2224 have accessed the forum in the last 30 days.

Do you value this site?

Do you want it to be here in the future?

Please consider a donation :cool:

You can donate here (suggested donation, one session): https://tinyurl.com/ha4j2pts

More about the fundraiser here: https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/memorializing-daddys-legacy.164005/

Thanks gents,

Jack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just posted this update in another thread, but I think it would be relevant here as well:

In case anyone is interested, we're using donations collected from the community here to 'keep the lights on', at this point. Without Bill around to do it, and until the state assigns an executor or administrator, non-payment of some of the bills that come due would result in termination of the account. So, for example, if the power is shut off to his apartment in Las Vegas, where his computers are located, the daily backups would stop. But more importantly, as far as we have been able to determine, this site was being managed from those computers. So it's important to maintain access to the apartment, and to keep those lights and Internet service on.

We're trying to stay on top of it, but any notices that are sent would likely go to Bill's commercial mail box, and those can't be forwarded, unlike actual US Mail post boxes. We're also still waiting to receive the death certificate.

Good questions @builder boy. I know $10k sounds like a lot of money (and it is). The costs here are estimates: The WA team will have to travel to LV a few times ($1000/trip). They have paid his burial expenses ($1500). They are paying 2 months rent + utilities (at least) on Daddy's apartment to "keep the lights on" ($2000-2500). They are paying the site monthly hosting fees ($100/month). There are many unknowns ahead, including and especially if any legal advice is needed ($0000s). There may be costs associated with moving the current site or creating a new copy of the site if for some reason they cannot based on the computer access they have (passwords etc). If I had to guess, $10k will not be nearly enough. After this fundraiser is complete, I'm handing the baton off to someone else in the community who is willing to step up.

What @JEC said. I think we have a possible legal referral in the works, but won't know for certain until we've actually consummated it. One of the roadblocks we're trying to get around is that we don't have power of attorney to directly handle Bill's financial issues, so we're relying on the desire of businesses to accept payment from whoever is willing to cover a debt.

Now that we have access to Bill's account at the hosting company, we know that it costs $115/month, and we can keep that up to date. But time is slipping past, and more bills will come due over time.

Good questions @builder boy. I know $10k sounds like a lot of money (and it is). The costs here are estimates: The WA team will have to travel to LV a few times ($1000/trip). They have paid his burial expenses ($1500). They are paying 2 months rent + utilities (at least) on Daddy's apartment to "keep the lights on" ($2000-2500). They are paying the site monthly hosting fees ($100/month). There are many unknowns ahead, including and especially if any legal advice is needed ($0000s). There may be costs associated with moving the current site or creating a new copy of the site if for some reason they cannot based on the computer access they have (passwords etc). If I had to guess, $10k will not be nearly enough. After this fundraiser is complete, I'm handing the baton off to someone else in the community who is willing to step up.

Thank you for transparency!!!

And just a question so please don’t read anything into this, paying Daddy’s Funeral Expenses, and two months rent, is that something that is prudent to running this site and expenses ?

That being said I will donate as the site is invaluable.....

And just a question so please don’t read anything into this, paying Daddy’s Funeral Expenses, and two months rent, is that something that is prudent to running this site and expenses ?

You tell me.

We only got the keys to Bill's apartment because the hospital accepted Deb as his medical decision-maker. Because we paid for the cremation, we are able to obtain a death certificate. It also means we become credible to be named Administrator, if no kin are located. The site is an asset of Bill's estate, and the Administrator is empowered to deal with the assets. It has to be handed off to another person or legal entity, so it would be possible to transfer ownership to either someone here, or an entity comprised of people here or their associates.

But until that can happen, the site must be preserved. This site is ONLY accessible from a computer in Bill's apartment. It cannot be logged into remotely except from his computer, because of the security safeguards that he set up. That computer is also what performs the daily backups. Having the death certificate enables us to cut the red tape and make things happen.

We are incurring these expenses in order to honor Bill's legacy by preserving the sites and handing them off to people who have an interest in their existence, rather than to someone seeking to profit from them.

And as regards to the question just raised by @LookingAround, I suppose it would be possible to scrape much of the content of this site, and port it to another one. Is that what the community here wants to do? Or is there value to this place, enough to want to preserve it?

If I had a brain in my head, which I obviously do not, I would not touch this thread with a ten-foot pole. I started posting on this site during the final two years of Hooboys tenure. It can be seen, on any of my posts, that I contributed to Bill (Daddy) for several years. Now with that background out of the way I would like to state that frankly I would prefer to see this site die AND a new one, using the raw materials available here – started.

I would like to state that frankly I would prefer to see this site die AND a new one, using the raw materials available here – started.

It is an interesting thought. What would be the benefit of starting a new site? Anybody can start a site ...

Everyone could move over at the same time and therefore GUARANTEE continued interaction. Otherwise, there is no guarantee this site as-is will continue no matter how much money is thrown at it.

Starting a new site! Maybe not a good idea.

Creating a new site with a new name likely would result in the loss of most or at least many current forum members.

Changing the site is almost equivalent to changing one's telephone number.

Those forum members that use the forum frequently, might learn the name of the new site. However, many forum members do not access this site frequently and would come to the site after it had been ended and then learn it had been terminated.

Most forum members of this site joined the site over many years.

If this site is closed and a new site is formed with a new name, how will current forum members know how to access the new site?

Edited by coriolis888