Requesting proof of vaccination

jazzfan
This topic is 944 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As always, appreciate the advice of this group in advance. As more and more are getting vaccinated, I'm more comfortable dipping my toe into the massage world. However, as a way of ensuring that a masseur is vaccinated, I have asked for a pic of the vaccination card with the only the first name showing. I have also asked for another ID (driver license, passport, something.....) showing the same first name. In the two instances that I've asked for matching documents, masseurs have not provided both. Am I asking too much? I'm trying to protect myself obviously. Opinions please.

As always, appreciate the advice of this group in advance. As more and more are getting vaccinated, I'm more comfortable dipping my toe into the massage world. However, as a way of ensuring that a masseur is vaccinated, I have asked for a pic of the vaccination card with the only the first name showing. I have also asked for another ID (driver license, passport, something.....) showing the same first name. In the two instances that I've asked for matching documents, masseurs have not provided both. Am I asking too much? I'm trying to protect myself obviously. Opinions please.

The problem is these CDC cards are so basic that just about anybody can counterfeit them blank and keep them for themselves or sell them to others. Much easier to fake than a driver's license.

You are probably asking too much. I wouldnt go so far as to ask for pictures of vaccination cards or IDs. If you feel strongly about this, ask if they are vaccinated and if they will bring their card with them. That is about as far as I think you can reasonably expect a stranger to go.

As @7829V said - plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I got J&J one shot three weeks ago.

among the paper I got was a scan QR to CDC

I signed up for texts asking how I felt etc

texts started daily. The twice a week. The once a week

I am sure I am ID’ed by govco

how I prove this to someone else is another matter

I am sure I am ID’ed by govco

how I prove this to someone else is another matter

my clinic was run by Safeway/Albertsons and I can go in any Safeway (as I did) to get a duplicate CDC card. In a serious matter I would go to a Safeway and ask for a letter or a printout of my vaccines. those CDC cards are ridiculous and I'm sure people have boxes of them. Haven't checked eBay.

Did you do your research on the vaccine?

If so, you should know it only protects the people who have the vaccine from the most severe Covid symptoms.

The vaccine does not prevent the transmission. As a matter of fact, it increases the rate that someone will be contagious and asymptomatic, Since again, all that it does is relieve the symptoms, not mitigate the risk of catching or transmitting Covid.

In other words, whether or not the Masseur is vaccinated has no effect on your own health.

If so, you should know it only protects the people who have the vaccine from the most severe Covid symptoms.

The vaccine does not prevent the transmission. As a matter of fact, it increases the rate that someone will be contagious and asymptomatic, Since again, all that it does is relieve the symptoms, not mitigate the risk of catching or transmitting Covid.

In other words, whether or not the Masseur is vaccinated has no effect on your own health.

this is misleading information. whether or not the vaccine prevents the transmission is not yet fully understood, as of today's currently posted CDC guidelines. also, whether or not the masseur is vaccinated certainly does have an effect. two or more people who are fully vaccinated can be together in a room without worry. however, if one or more is not vaccinated, there is a chance (however slight) that the virus can still be transmitted, even if you have been fully vaccinated. as no vaccine is 100% effective.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int/israeli-studies-find-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-reduces-transmission-idUSKBN2AJ08J

this is misleading information. whether or not the vaccine prevents the transmission is not yet fully understood, as of today's currently posted CDC guidelines. also, whether or not the masseur is vaccinated certainly does have an effect. two or more people who are fully vaccinated can be together in a room without worry. however, if one or more is not vaccinated, there is a chance (however slight) that the virus can still be transmitted, even if you have been fully vaccinated. as no vaccine is 100% effective.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int/israeli-studies-find-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-reduces-transmission-idUSKBN2AJ08J

• 4 months later...

I wanted to bump this and see what others think about this. I haven't gotten a massage in a while and was considering doing so. While reaching out to one, I asked about vaccination status of the masseur, and he said he wasn't comfortable answering. I didn't push, but I didn't move forward with scheduling. 

38 minutes ago, IYH99 said:

I wanted to bump this and see what others think about this. I haven't gotten a massage in a while and was considering doing so. While reaching out to one, I asked about vaccination status of the masseur, and he said he wasn't comfortable answering. I didn't push, but I didn't move forward with scheduling. 

I've asked clients for their vaccination proof and offered mine and it hasn't been a problem - in California we have a WEBPAGE that verifies your vaccination and sends you a validation that lasts for 24 hours. Either way, are masseurs wearing masks these days?

48 minutes ago, IYH99 said:

And I think that is the crux of the situation here.  You're welcome to ask and he's welcome not to answer.  While he's not required to provide a response, you can make a decision as to if you want to see him or not.  I think this played out exactly like it should have.  

2 hours ago, IYH99 said:

I'd bet that the masseur was probably not vaxed.  When browsing rentmasseur and masseurfinder, the first thing mentioned in many ads is that "I'm fully vaxed" with some even including the date and vax type.  So now if you asked them for proof, I wonder if the conversation would remain friendly.

10 minutes ago, Redwine56 said:

I'd bet that the masseur was probably not vaxed.  When browsing rentmasseur and masseurfinder, the first thing mentioned in many ads is that "I'm fully vaxed" with some even including the date and vax type.  So now if you asked them for proof, I wonder if the conversation would remain friendly.

The only friendly response is, “yes I’m fully vaxxed”. 

I am no longer terribly concerned if the masseur is inoculated or not. I am . . . and also recently caught COVID.* Seems like the greater risk would be to the unvaccinated masseur. That’s his risk to assess/mitigate. I’m not sure if his vaccination status will protect me as much.

*My evidence is only anecdotal, but breakthrough infections seem much more likely with Delta than older data would suggest. Went to a gathering pre-renewed indoor masking mandates/suggestions. Infected vaccinated person was present (tested positive after the event). Almost 20 percent of the attendees tested positive within three to five days. Fortunately, we were all vaccinated and the symptoms were basically common cold symptoms. 

I think that you have no good way of knowing if a masseur has been vaccinated.   If you are so very concerned, you should avoid massages for the time being. 

We all have out comfort zones.   I've decided to pass up a one-man  concert by Lee Roy Reams honoring Jerry Herman in a theater next week.  Ordinarily, I'd jump at this, but prudence and caution dictate otherwise.   The New-York Historical Society has just announced its fall lecture series.  I go ALL THE TIME, but not this year.  I just don't feel comfortable in a 400-seat auditorium, even if everyone is vaccinated and masked.

OTOH, I continue to get massages, both at home and in spas.  It all depends how much you want to do the activity.   You could say to me, "Why won't you go to a theater, but you still get massages?   That makes no sense."    Maybe it doesn't.   It's all comfort level and assessing the risk-reward ratios.

You've gotten lots of advice on  transmission of the virus, some of it conflicting.   You have to decide just how far you want to go.   As Redwine said above, if you require so much  documentation from your masseurs, will the conversation still be friendly?    You're a client, not the TSA.

Either they disclose their vax status up front or it's no deal. I'm not even interested in having he conversation anymore.

My dentist told me up front he was vaccinated. My barista wears an 'Vaxed' button on her apron. I shouldn't have to be an government agent to figure out my risk for a completely optional recreational activity.

"I don't want to disclose it" is your answer and mine replay is "Have a nice day" *block*.  I have no patiences for these people anymore.

Guest davebk

I'm vaccinated and was in the very early round.  Initially I offered that info to providers to put their minds at ease.

At this point with the constant back and forth and "us vs them" bullshit going on with vaccinations or masks, the demonizing those who are or who are not, I'm done talking about it.  I wouldn't answer the question if asked, and I don't ask the question of others.  And it makes me no difference in hiring whether the person is or is not.