Good News for Europe Travel

tassojunior
This topic is 1009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not everywhere. We've had no cases for about six months other than those that could be traced to people in quarantine hotels. Same in New Zealand, and we will finally be able to travel to and from there starting Monday without quarantine. Despite our relative success in containing the virus, our vaccine roll-out has been excruciatingly slow. Some might say 'botched'. We won't see our borders open for some time, and our vaccination rates will be a bigger factor in the decision than those for potential arrivals. Businesses and those who used to travel widely will soon become restive, but most people are very happy to keep the borders closed and the virus out. As a big country with a wide variety of places to travel we are taking to the skies (and to the road) domestically in increasing numbers. Qantas expects to exceed pre-covid levels of flying within the country in the coming months. All that said, it's widely recognised that we can't live in a gilded cage forever and we'll have to accept the higher risk that comes from more open travel sooner rather than later. I'll be over the moon if I can make it to the DC forum lunch in January, but I ain't buying tickets just yet.

I think it’s hard for non Australians to understand that we have opted for a policy of elimination not containment in respect to the virus. Being an island continent, and a high, but not perfect, agreement between the federal and state governments on strategy has been a success. Our contact tracing has been exemplary. I don’t think the Australian government will put our current situation at risk with opening of the borders in the foreseeable future. I’m a very frustrated traveller but I do see their point. I do wish they would get their act together on the vaccine rollout.

I think it’s hard for non Australians to understand that we have opted for a policy of elimination not containment in respect to the virus. Being an island continent, and a high, but not perfect, agreement between the federal and state governments on strategy has been a success. Our contact tracing has been exemplary. I don’t think the Australian government will put our current situation at risk with opening of the borders in the foreseeable future. I’m a very frustrated traveller but I do see their point. I do wish they would get their act together on the vaccine rollout.

Australia has done an exemplary job of dealing with COVID. Lessons to be learned by many others.

Good point

Good point.

Similarly, I think it's hard for non-USA to understand our value of "Liberty" and "Give me Liberty or give me Death". Like Abraham Lincoln said, the Love of Liberty is what unites most Americans, even if we all have different definitions of what Liberty is.

I am thankful that some international travel is still open to USA citizens, even if it means a few more deaths. Complete safety would come at the cost of personal Liberty, and no thank you.

Australia has done an exemplary job of dealing with COVID. Lessons to be learned by many others.

And they make no exceptions to their policy and wish the US was just as strict. A good friend of mine has a lot of family In Australia and his mother died last month. fortunately his sisters and her grandson who is a doctor were with her. He found out she only had a few days left and was told he wouldn't be able to attend her funeral unless it was at least two weeks after he arrived. They bus you straight to a hotel for 14 days upon arrival.

It sucked he wasn't able to attend his mom's funeral but this is how they kept the death rate so low.

• 2 weeks later...

And they make no exceptions to their policy and wish the US was just as strict. A good friend of mine has a lot of family In Australia and his mother died last month. fortunately his sisters and her grandson who is a doctor were with her. He found out she only had a few days left and was told he wouldn't be able to attend her funeral unless it was at least two weeks after he arrived. They bus you straight to a hotel for 14 days upon arrival.

It sucked he wasn't able to attend his mom's funeral but this is how they kept the death rate so low.

That, plus I'm sure a low percentage of Karens complaining about wearing masks because breathing in CO2 that gets trapped in there would kill them.

Greece Re-Opened to travel from the US yesterday as planned and the EU is coming out with a "digital vaccine certificate".(?)

Coincidentally (and happily for me) United is starting up a 1st-time Washington-to-Athens nonstop. Combined with the new non-stop to Dubrovnik, Croatia from Newark, this makes for a very tempting summer open-jaw of the most beautiful islands. Now to find the connections from Greece to Dubrovnik or Montenegro without going through Zagreb.

Edited by tassojunior

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Changing planes at Heathrow is complicated.

but Walgreens is offering both types of tests for free and quick.

Even before COVID, I always tried to avoid HTR. Such an annoying and stressful transit experience, even traveling in business. The only airports I use for Europe travel now are CDG, FRA and MUN. Far more efficient, if sometimes a bit pricier. BA even made me pay a $125 fee to preselect a seat in business class.

1 hour ago, Pensant said:

Even before COVID, I always tried to avoid HTR. Such an annoying and stressful transit experience, even traveling in business. The only airports I use for Europe travel now are CDG, FRA and MUN. Far more efficient, if sometimes a bit pricier. BA even made me pay a $125 fee to preselect a seat in business class.

I like LHR but it's gigantic. And it's departure fees to the US are horrible. I avoid CDG; confused, pop-up strikes, and unfriendly. FRA is also big and expensive while MUC is ok. I wish BER had more direct flights. Zurich is a wonderful airport but Swiss is often expensive. 

I've found Amsterdam, Brussels and Vienna to be the best alternatives for direct flights from the US and transfers to Europe if Swiss costs much more or doesn't work trip-wise. I know AMS and ZHR have great lounges, haven't tried VIE or BRU. 

And ZRH is a 10-minute Uber ride to Paragonya Sauna which is a great place for a few-hour Layover.   

Edited by tassojunior

Today Biden says news on the re-opening of travel from Europe is coming "within days" (i guess next week). 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-15/biden-says-his-covid-team-is-weighing-lifting-europe-travel-ban

Shares of Air France-KLM, Deutsche Lufthansa AG and IAG SA gained in Europe after Biden said his Covid-19 advisers are weighing when to lift the prohibitions, while U.S. airline stocks also rose in pre-market trading. German Chancellor Angela Merkel raised the issue in a White House meeting on Thursday.It’s in process now,” Biden said at a news conference with Merkel following their meeting. “I’m waiting to hear from our folks, our Covid team, as to when that should be done.”

He said to expect an answer “within the next several days.”

6 hours ago, tassojunior said:

The present "easy, instant" tests are a PITA

Or just get an in-person rapid test.  Any hotel that wants American tourists will have a testing setup. 

On 5/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, tassojunior said:

Combined with the new non-stop to Dubrovnik, Croatia from Newark

If you are considering Croatia, the Sheraton Dubrovnik has cheap rapid testing on-site.  And its pretty nice for a Sheraton, not run-down like most.

11 minutes ago, MscleLovr said:

My understanding @cany10011 is that foreign nationals can obtain a digital EU vaccine passport only if they are legally registered as resident in the EU (and of course have received one of the 4 vaccines authorised by the EU regulatory agency).

Where are you resident?

Thanks. Canadian living in NYC (Resident).