Canada No. 1

Luv2play

To be honest I would rather live in a southern coastal American city if it wasn't for the gun portability laws and private health insurance costs and policies. I have enjoyed very much my travels to the US but for now, more favourable living conditions here make me call Canada home. Plus Cannabis is legal nationwide and my hiring hobby is not considered completely illegal here! ?

Edited by lonely_john

I think your comments contain certain exaggerations. For instance, awful climate for 7 to 8 months does apply to Labrador (I worked there as a student one year) but not to Southern Ontario or Quebec, where 90 percent of the population of those provinces live.

We aren’t shovelling snow 6 months of the year. This winter we had exactly 3 storms that required that (3 mornings). I have been eating my evening meal in my back yard gazebo since early April ( including this evening where I am currently writing this). The weather has been hitting highs of around 70F most days this month and during a week in late March.

On the other hand we have extremely pleasant summers and only a few days when we are driven to air conditioning. Many parts of the US are becoming insufferable in the summer without retreating indoors. And climate change is occurring faster than many anticipated. Canada will at least be spared for a few decades longer.

I remember when I spent my winters in Florida talking to people from the Northern US states who said, like you, they wouldn’t go back to live in the North. This included Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo and other cities that experience much the same climate as major Canadian cities.

Having lived in Europe ( Geneva specifically) and spent time on four continents, I have experienced beautiful natural and man made surroundings in many places. But for living in a tolerant, well educated, civilized and peaceful country, I’ll take Canada any day.

When I lived in Boston, I told myself that the weather wasn't that bad. Let's face it, since you can't change the weather, you do what you can to cope, including kidding yourself that it's "not that bad."

Now that I live in Las Vegas, I fully concede that Boston has some of the worst sh*thole weather on the planet: winter speaks for itself, spring is nonexistent (rainy & cold until it switches over to hot & humid almost overnight), and summer is impressively humid (not Miami, but pretty bad - average summer humidity is 75%). The 8-9 weeks of beautiful fall weather aren't nearly enough to make up for the other 44 weeks of suckitude. As much as I love Boston - the culture, the history, and most of all the people - I could never move back.

Are Canadian winters milder than they were during my 3 winters there more than 50 years ago? Sure. But I'll bet my bottom dollar that but for a few exceptions (Vancouver, Victoria) Canadian winter still massively sucks. The last time I was in Toronto (Jan 2004) it was -10°F & -50°F wind chill. Maybe in a hundred years, Canadian winters really won't be that bad (if climate change is that severe, yikes), but for the time being, no thanks.

some of the worst sh*thole weather on the planet: winter speaks for itself, spring is nonexistent (rainy & cold until it switches over to hot & humid almost overnight), and summer is impressively humid (not Miami, but pretty bad - average summer humidity is 75%).

Honey you just gave the general description of the weather in most Canadian cities. ?

However, I must agree with @Luv2play that Climate change already "changed" our weather.

At least in Toronto, our winters are considerably warmer than 10 years ago.

There are fewer rainy days during spring and summers are way hotter and humid.

I don't know if there have been weather changes in other Canadian cities.

Edited by lonely_john

I don’t know why everyone complains about the cold weather in Toronto. I love it. I moved from Hong Kong and do not miss the tropical humidity. The winter weather is tolerable if you don’t have to venture out too much. Fortunately, there are a lot of creature comforts so it is not that bad. People learn to cope and adjust. I don’t think I would be anywhere else. (I’m in nyc now, but plan on living back eventually). Easier to make money in the states and spend in Canada.

I don’t know why everyone complains about the cold weather in Toronto. I love it. I moved from Hong Kong and do not miss the tropical humidity. The winter weather is tolerable if you don’t have to venture out too much. Fortunately, there are a lot of creature comforts so it is not that bad. People learn to cope and adjust. I don’t think I would be anywhere else. (I’m in nyc now, but plan on living back eventually). Easier to make money in the states and spend in Canada.

Yes, Toronto is great now. It used to be as bad as the rest of the country.

But the majority of Canadian cities (especially in the Maritimes) have the weather that @BSR outlined up there.

• 9 months later...

I am starting to think of my retirement, and where to live. Recently, I decided to put the "where live" issue in a hold, because of climate change. As the Canadian friends notice, we are in a transition and destinations that look not so appealing now may jump to the paradise category in a few years.

Out of all the graphics available around showing global warming, my favorite is this one recently published by the WaPo (I think is behind a pay wall, sorry):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/13/heres-how-hot-earth-has-been-since-you-were-born/

I remember those gone cold mornings from my childhood.

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, Luv2play said:

Canada No. 1

Let's celebrate with a beer, eh!

A 25-year-old Canadian man had his driver’s license a measly 20 minutes before he was pulled over by police, who caught him drinking a beer in “celebration” of passing his driver’s test.

The Brampton man had just gotten his G2 license — the second-level permit drivers in Canada receive before getting a full Class G license — when the Ontario Provincial Police caught him weaving in and out of traffic and speeding down a highway.

“In celebration, the driver cracked a beer and decided to drive back to Brampton on Highway 10,” Ian Michel with Caledon OPP alleged, according to the Caledon Enterprise.

The driver “flew past an unmarked police vehicle,” Michel said.

According to police, the car was operating about 30 mph over the speed limit.

Police also said the driver was weaving in and out of traffic in a “careless manner” before he was pulled over.

“I can’t even begin to understand why someone would think that drinking a beer in their vehicle while driving is a smart idea, let alone a novice driver who should be well-versed on the rules of the road,” Michel said.

After pulling the driver over they discovered an open beer inside the vehicle.

The driver allegedly registered a blood alcohol concentration above zero — breaking a law that states new drivers must have no alcohol in their system.

The offending driver’s license was suspended for 30 days.

He was charged with stunt driving, careless driving, novice driver with BAC above zero, driving with open liquor and several other offenses, police said.

“These are not simple errors in judgment, they are choices being made that put the lives of other drivers and pedestrians at risk,” Michel said. “Simply put drivers like this kill people and don’t belong on our roads.”

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

On 4/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, sniper said:

When I was in Boston we used to say "Spring is the nicest day of the year." You don't even really get 8 good weeks of fall because it rains quite a bit.

I grew up in Massachusetts, and strongly disagree.

While spring is somewhat short, it is beautiful on the sunny ☀️ days 

4 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Unless you are someone who likes people who look like you.

Many gay men couple end up looking/dressing alike, so there's something to be said for homogeneousity

I know a gay couple who live near me who are  interracial ( black and white). They spend the winter in Los Angeles and summer in Canada and have been doing so for years (one is a trust fund baby). They would not fit in in Japan.  

It’s interesting that the weather seems to be getting more extreme in North America even in the time since this thread started over two years ago. Take this weekend. Extremely cold weather throughout most of North America except here in the North East and the southeast and south west coasts. But then Florida has recently had tornadoes in January.
In Ontario Canada it’s currently about 0 C  or 32 F but much colder in Vancouver and all of the mid west down to Texas. We were supposed to get a lot of snow tonight but it’s too warm now for that to happen here. I haven’t had to shovel any snow so far this winter. We have a few inches on the ground but with winter tires you just drive over it.