New Yorker Profile of Josh Thomas

mike carey
This topic is 1095 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I wasn't sure where to post this, but decided here in the 'Uncategorised' part of the Comedy and Tragedy Forum, because despite it focussing significantly on two of Josh's television series, it ranges far wider than that exploring his treatment of his homosexuality in Please Like Me and his slow realisation that he was on the autism spectrum even as he was filming Everything's Gonna be Okay, a series that features autistic characters. The article itself is great in the way that longer form New Yorker pieces so often are. As Josh himself notes in the twitter thread it was a long time coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Josh! Both his TV shows are excellent and he also introduced many of us to Hannah Gadsby who was in Please Like Me, which is a wonderful bonus.

He's apparently pretty active on either scruff or grindr (can't remember which) in LA, a friend of mine who knew who he was but hadn't seen his shows chatted with him. Although my instagram indicates he's in Melbourne currently, so not right now.

I'd been thinking about this clip from Q&A (from 2014), a weekly panel show on the ABC, but only just thought to actually look for it. In it a conservative member of Parliament (some would say, with considerable justification 'idiosyncratic') from the deep north of Queensland is asked a question about his attitude towards homosexuality (he once famously claimed that there were no homosexuals in his electorate). He rambles on for a while before Josh cuts him off to take him to task on the issue. 'There's an app called Grindr, I'll put it on your phone.' It's very much Josh being Josh.