WEHT Basketballer?

gallahadesquire

• 2 months later...

Yeah it kind of seemed from his last posts that he had found his happily ever after guy and it wouldn't surprise me if he decided not to come back as this "phase" of his life was over.  I had tried to PM him when it was unclear if the forum would survive, because I thought he might want to copy off some of what he wrote about his family, but got no response.  

Edited by sniper

28 minutes ago, sniper said:

Yeah it kind of seemed from his last posts that he had found his happily ever after guy and it wouldn't surprise me if he decided not to come back as this "phase" of his life was over.  

It would surprise me. I don't see a guy posting so much about himself here without forming some online friendships. To then just walk away from them indicates a selfishness that I didn't see in @BasketBaller.

• 4 months later...

Well, hello my friends. I'm so sorry to have vanished like that, and yes, finding my "gentleman friend" was a factor. Let me start by saying the boys are well and there's a lot to tell, which I'll try to do. 

Last summer I contracted Covid and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. No ventilator, but I was on oxygen for days. This is not very characteristic of me, but I had a hard time recovering both physically and emotionally, and I'm afraid I withdrew from many things I just couldn't motivate myself. In the fall of 2020 I also began to be unsteady on my feet, and scarier still began to have trouble speaking, I just couldn't find the words I was trying to say. Eventually Older Brother took me to the emergency room, where they suspected a stroke. Another hospital stay, this time 10 days while they ruled out many causes, and by the second day I couldn't walk  at all or really even stand up unassisted. Finally they figured out I have pernicious anemia, an inability of the body to to process vitamin B12, without which you can't form red blood cells properly. So shots and physical therapy for months and dealing with many effects. I used a walker for a couple of months and now use a cane. There were two more ER visits when my blood pressure spiked, but I wasn't admitted either time. At first I couldn't get up the stairs, so I slept on an air mattress in the den. The boys were great but quite freaked out. Navy Twin is in Pensacola at flight school (he finally chose aviation). I have very little stamina and can't stand up for very long, but it's not as bad as it was.

There has been progress but it's extremely slow and sometimes discouraging. But I'm trying to be optimistic, and my friend has been a rock of support. I'll try to catch you up with that adventure, and at this point I guess I can just call him my lover.

So once again, I'm touched by your concern and I wish I had handled all of this better, but I didn't. I'll try to stick around this time.

Edited by BasketBaller

1 hour ago, BasketBaller said:

Well, hello my friends. I'm so sorry to have vanished like that, and yes, finding my "gentleman friend" was a factor. Let me start by saying the boys are well and there's a lot to tell, which I'll try to do. 

Last summer I contracted Covid and had a lengthy stay in the hospital. No ventilator, but I was on oxygen for days. This is not very characteristic of me, but I had a hard time recovering both physically and emotionally, and I'm afraid I withdrew from many things I just couldn't motivate myself. In the fall of 2020 I also began to be unsteady on my feet, and scarier still began to have trouble speaking, I just couldn't find the words I was trying to say. Eventually Older Brother took me to the emergency room, where they suspected a stroke. Another hospital stay, this time 10 days while they ruled out many causes, and by the second day I couldn't walk  at all or really even stand up unassisted. Finally they figured out I have pernicious anemia, an inability of the body to to process vitamin B12, without which you can't form red blood cells properly. So shots and physical therapy for months and dealing with many effects. I used a walker for a couple of months and now use a cane. There were two more ER visits when my blood pressure spiked, but I wasn't admitted either time. At first I couldn't get up the stairs, so I slept on an air mattress in the den. The boys were great but quite freaked out. Navy Twin is in Pensacola at flight school (he finally chose aviation). I have very little stamina and can't stand up for very long, but it's not as bad as it was.

There has been progress but it's extremely slow and sometimes discouraging. But I'm trying to be optimistic, and my friend has been a rock of support. I'll try to coatch you up with that adventure, and at this point I guess I can just call him my lover.

Soonce again, I'm touched by your concern and I wish I had handled all of this better, but I didn't. I'll try to stick around this time.

The effects of B12 deficiency can be pernicious hence the name pernicious anemia.  Usually it is rather easy to diagnose when there are the blood manifestations but if the neurologic events happen first, it can be very difficult to diagnose.  Thinking of it as a possibility and then a simple blood test are needed but the thinking of it when there are no overt anemia findings or enlargement of the red blood cells, makes it the major obstacle to diagnosis.  When you first started mentioning your symptoms I thought perhaps you had Cvid related neurologic issues which are very difficult to overcome.  Hopefully with the B12 injections and time, most if not all of the symptoms should abate.  So do your therapy and take you injections and keep allowing others to support you and you should be able to walk out of this on the other side.   

Edited by purplekow

By the way. B12 can be a late complication of gastric bypass surgery and so if there are any readers out there who have had this surgery, be sure to have you blood checked regularly and specifically a B12 level should you develop tingling in the feet or a any signs that your nerves are not functioning as they should.  

On 11/4/2021 at 4:30 PM, purplekow said:

... if the neurologic events happen first, it can be very difficult to diagnose....

Very difficult? Yikes! Just a glance at a basic blood count (CBC) will show a macrocytic anemia, the differential diagnosis of which isn't miles long. And have you ever, ever referred a patient to a neurologist for any reason whatsoever and NOT had them check a B12 level before the patient even steps through the front door? It's about as basic as it gets. This reminds me of the time I was doing a urology consultation in which the referring physician sent this 325# man to urology clinic because he was urinating often. Had the referrer even checked a urinalysis or fingerstick blood sugar, he would have noted the patient had 4+ glucose in the urine and a blood sugar of 400. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that time the referrer really pissed me off. I'd be pissed if a 3rd year medical student couldn't figure out something so simple. 

And nice to have you back, BB. I hope you're doing well now.

Edited by Unicorn

12 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Very difficult? Yikes! Just a glance at a basic blood count (CBC) will show a macrocytic anemia, the differential diagnosis of which isn't miles long. And have you ever, ever referred a patient to a neurologist for any reason whatsoever and NOT had them check a B12 level before the patient even steps through the front door? It's about as basic as it gets. This reminds me of the time I was doing a urology consultation in which the referring physician sent this 325# man to urology clinic because he was urinating often. Had the referrer even checked a urinalysis or fingerstick blood sugar, he would have noted the patient had 4+ glucose in the urine and a blood sugar of 400. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that time the referrer really pissed me off. I'd be pissed if a 3rd year medical student couldn't figure out something so simple. 

And nice to have you back, BB. I hope you're doing well now.

Please note I qualified the statement saying it was usually easy to diagnosis with simple blood tests.  Hubris concerning any diagnosis having a situation which makes it hard to diagnose leads to common conditions being missed all the time, or so I have heard.  As presented here by Baskerballer whose situation is the reason this topic was brought up, he was in the hospital for 10 days and CT was done to rule out stroke and then the diagnosis of B12 deficiency was made.   Sounds like they needed more than a glance at a simple blood test.  

If you are sending a patient in consultation to a neurologist and THEY have to check the B12 level then it may have been  easy to consider and you did not think of it or there was some complicating issues that make the neurologic manifestations difficult to attribute to B12.   When the macrocytic anemia is there, the differential diagnosis is small, when it is not there, as can happen in a mixed picture of iron deficiency anemia and B12 deficiency seen in patients after gastric bypass surgery for example or in a patient taking folate, it can become difficult to attribute neurologic findings to B12.  

Edited by purplekow

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, all. a couple of you have reached out and I realize that I again, had vanished mostly, for which I apologize. I also have noted that in another thread, someone theorized that my posts had been a "creative writing exercise," which I assure you they were not. Posting here was deeply therapeutic to me as I struggled with some personal issues, and I'm grateful for the welcome you gave me. I'm sorry if anyone didn't believe me, but I don't know what I can do about that without compromising my sons' privacy so there you are. 

Now let's see. Older Brother is still on Capitol Hill and loves it. He was not there during the 1/6 riots, I'm glad to say. His girlfriend graduated from GW law school this spring, and I think they are thick as thieves. No marriage plans yet, but I think she wants to get a career established first.

Navy Twin has graduated from flight school in Pensacola, and will be piloting Hawkeyes, a plane I had not known, but it's an "Information Gathering" vessel. As he says, "I won't be bombing anything, but I'll be choosing the targets." Okay. Despite my continued mobility issues, I was able to get to Florida for his winging, a brief but moving ceremony, and my parents came along-- so proud. He and his girlfriend will get married this fall at the Naval Academy Chapel, and I couldn't be happier, I really love her.

DePaul Twin finished his 5 year BA-MA program and is working, for now, at a tech firm in Chicago, which he loves, although I think this is a "starter job," Still happily single, and he's become the family social director, planning our regular Zoom meet-ups.

And me? Well, better, but the progress is slow. I use a cane, and have some cognitive problems, but, not as bad as at first, and improving. And my friend? (We both still resist "boyfriend" but frankly, that's what he is). That is very, very good. He was so patient with my medical issues, so attentive, and so kind. The boys and their gf's have all met him and like him a lot. 

If I were to describe my ideal man, I'd have said taller than me, on the lean side, mostly smooth, blond or redhead, blue eyes. He checks none of those boxes. He's a bit shorter than me with a solid muscular build, brown hair and eyes, and a pretty furry chest. And so that's now my ideal man. He does have the broad shoulders I used to post about as major turn-ons, though. And we're pretty sexually compatible, as I once posted, although he took some getting used to-- be's a big one downstairs! But he's sensitive and patient and we have a great time. On about our third time together, we were holding each other after sex and he murmured something I didn't catch. I asked what he had said, and he said, "I wish I didn't hurt you." I think that was the moment I fell in love. 

Anyway, hi everybody, you have meant a lot to me, and I'll try to be more present.