Travisironsx in Houston

bordeauxfan
This topic is 748 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, mike carey said:

I guess here the rule should be not to wear white before Labour Day. (It's the first Monday in October in some states here.)

Haha - I wondered if in Australia that means that nobody wears white during the summer.  I could live anywhere because I rarely ever wear white anyway - I'm way too clumsy an eater to wear anything that could show stains so easily.  :)

3 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

Haha - I wondered if in Australia that means that nobody wears white during the summer.  I could live anywhere because I rarely ever wear white anyway - I'm way too clumsy an eater to wear anything that could show stains so easily.  :)

Australians were lots of white in their summer, which is our winter. I always associate Aussi men with summer sports like tennis and they look great in their whites.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:34 AM, mike carey said:

I guess here the rule should be not to wear white before Labour Day. (It's the first Monday in October in some states here.)

23 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

The complimentary rule to not wearing white after Labor Day is not to wear white before Memorial Day, i.e. the ceremonial start of summer.

@mike carey, what Australian holiday would mark the end of summer? 

5 minutes ago, rvwnsd said:

@mike carey, what Australian holiday would mark the end of summer? 

There is really no holiday that is considered to mark either the beginning or the end of summer here, I was just playing with the fact that our Labour Day is at the start of October (well, it is in NSW, SA and the ACT, other states and territories have it in March (first or second Monday) or May (link to May Day). Australia Day (26 Jan) is seen as the end of the summer holidays, and return to school, to serious government processes and serious business, but that is not the end of summer. The switch between football and cricket seasons is probably a better proxy for season change.

Melbourne Cup Day, first Tuesday in November is sometimes considered the start of the summer 'silly season' when much of the country 'turns off' until Australia Day. Canberra has a couple of quirky 'rules' (popular currency only, nothing official) to mark seasons. Heaters should not be turned on until Anzac Day (25 April) because doing so would be soft in our relatively cold climate, and tomato seedlings should not be planted before Melbourne Cup Day because of the risk of frost.

In northern Australia, summer and winter are not significant as seasons, the big distinction is between the wet and dry seasons. From an indigenous perspective in the Top End (of the Northern Territory) there are six seasons. https://www.experiencethewild.com.au/?p=Birding-Info-Weather-Seasons (Europeans are called Balanda by first Australians there. It is derived from Hollander.)

• 8 months later...