New Yorker subscription pricing?

This topic is 1128 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember that the New Yorker used to cost about a dollar an issue by subscription. When it came up for renewal in December, they were asking for some $180, so I decided to let my subscription lapse. Then I got a renewal offer via the mail "please come back" for $45/year (50 issues), so I renewed. Do they think their subscribers won't notice these price increases? It seems weird to quadruple the price. I can't recall any other magazine playing these games with me. Is this just "shake the guy and see what comes out"?

Unlock-Scams-Using-Street-Smarts-2.jpg

I remember that the New Yorker used to cost about a dollar an issue by subscription. When it came up for renewal in December, they were asking for some $180, so I decided to let my subscription lapse. Then I got a renewal offer via the mail "please come back" for $45/year (50 issues), so I renewed. Do they think their subscribers won't notice these price increases? It seems weird to quadruple the price. I can't recall any other magazine playing these games with me. Is this just "shake the guy and see what comes out"?

Wonderful magazine, worth the money

The New Yorker knows they're good... And they charge for it. I admire that.

It's quite a bit like a sub to the NYT. Sure, you can find deals now and then (or go fully digital), but if you want that experience of newsprint smudging your fingers while you read it on a daily basis, it's going to cost you.

I just see it as the price of reading what is still one of the most informative newspapers in the world.

What's highway robbery are subs to things like The Robb Report and daily Variety.

Here's an article on this subject from a few years ago, @Unicorn:

The Magazine Sub Game: How Does the New Yorker Play It? - About Editing and Writing (jacklimpert.com)

If you keep scrolling at the end of the article, you'll see that subscriber comments about the variable rates are still coming as of 2021.

Thanks for the reference. Pretty interesting. It looks like they have a strange MO. With all of their ads, you'd think most of their revenue comes from ads, not from subscription fees?

"Jack says

December 31, 2018 at 11:21 am

I’ve been paying for the international subscription for many years – sure, it costs a lot more, but they have to mail it to me. This year, they wanted $199 for another year, while offering new subscribers the “old” $169 rate (they also offer a 12 week reduced rate and a free bag, but I expect some kind of gimmick). Pretty hacked off that they wanted to charge me $30 more for being loyal to them. I’ve cancelled the auto-renewal so that kind of backfired on them, I guess. Was actually more annoyed that when I went to cancel online, they suddenly offered me a $30 reduction to stay, so they know exactly what they’re doing, just trying to get extra money from everyone who trusts them to act decently."

I just see it as the price of reading what is still one of the most informative newspapers in the world.

Pardon my kvetching...again. I mentioned this before on a thread about newspaper subscriptions. I love the NY Times and pay through the nose for 7 day delivery. The problem is the delivery is unreliable. The papers have contracted out delivery and they pay poorly. My last delivery guy (who we tipped generously and faithfully) told us there were multiple unfilled routes because the pay was so low. It's crazy how much advertising revenue has migrated to Facebook, Google, etc. But if the industry can't get the paper to our homes they won't survive.

I've been reading The New Yorker since my junior year of high school; I have been meaning to write David Remnick, the editor, to thank him for the outstanding political reporting during the Trump years; this quality of writing and reporting costs money, and I am happy to support this kind of journalism. On the other hand, I have subscribed to the Wall Street Journal for over 30 years, and when it renews this summer, I will cancel my subscription with a letter indicating my reason: I believe Fox News has greatly contributed to the political polarization we now have in this country, and I cannot support that with my subscription dollars.