Summer Travel 2021: The Latest?

Snbrd
This topic is 1117 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A year ago we assumed that the the sudden shutdown was "temporary" and we hoped the warm weather would eradicate the last vestiges of the coronavirus. We earnestly wondered about and discussed foreign travel. Now, as vaccinations roll out, we can justifiably hope that it is a possibility. I'm interested in what folks here think might happen or have heard from at least semi-reliable sources.

A friend in the UK tells me that UK and EU citizens with proof of vaccine can travel to Greece this summer. He says it's reasonable to expect that they will soon add US. There is no such mention on the US Embassy website at present.

Is it folly to make even preliminary plans? The though of it takes the sting out of New England weather.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you google "Greece Open to Tourists Vaccine" you'll find lots of stories on how Greece is opening to tourists, including Americans, on May 14 with proof of vaccination. (The EU could try to change this). Croatia has been open. Mexico has stayed open for flying. The UK is at 44% vaccination and will be open soon too most likely. British Air is lobbying the UK government for vaccine passport travel now.

I'm grabbing what cancellable bargain tix to Europe I can now through the UK but avoiding flights through France, Italy or Germany as too risky and not jumping at Spain or Portugal flights, although both have plenty of reason to open by summer. Amsterdam flights are anyone's guess.

Croatia and Mexico are both amazing if all else fails but I feel good about BA flights soon to the UK. I'm getting really jealous seeing all the Croatia/Montenegro Dalmation Coast pics friends are posting on social media. '"At the birth of the planet the most beautiful encounter between land and sea must have been on the Montenegrin coast"....Lord Bryon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMjZNZh8Hn5uZGplDFyW0HU7tQ1WsNGp0Vsg&usqp=CAURESTRICTED-leadAsset-DubrovnikMontenegrotheDalmatianCoast-medium.png

and if you have someone to take, the Maldives is re-opened and there are super deals on reward flights there.

Edited by tassojunior

I think I'd avoid traveling outside of the US for the time being. I have tickets to a concert in Toronto in September that got postponed from last year. We'll see if it's safe to travel at that time. I am hopeful it will be with the rate of vaccinations increasing rapidly. The US is doing fairly well with vaccination actually, but Canada is lagging significantly behind. Hopefully by mid-Summer the picture will be clearer about if I can travel to Toronto.

If you google "Greece Open to Tourists Vaccine" you'll find lots of stories on how Greece is opening to tourists, including Americans, on May 14 with proof of vaccination. (The EU could try to change this). Croatia has been open. Mexico has stayed open for flying. The UK is at 44% vaccination and will be open soon too most likely. British Air is lobbying the UK government for vaccine passport travel now.

I'm grabbing what cancellable bargain tix to Europe I can now through the UK but avoiding flights through France, Italy or Germany as too risky and not jumping at Spain or Portugal flights, although both have plenty of reason to open by summer. Amsterdam flights are anyone's guess.

Croatia and Mexico are both amazing if all else fails but I feel good about BA flights soon to the UK. I getting really jealous seeing all the Croatia/Montenegro Dalmation Coast pics friends are posting on social media. '"At the birth of the planet the most beautiful encounter between land and sea must have been on the Montenegrin coast"....Lord Bryon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMjZNZh8Hn5uZGplDFyW0HU7tQ1WsNGp0Vsg&usqp=CAURESTRICTED-leadAsset-DubrovnikMontenegrotheDalmatianCoast-medium.png

Absolutely agree about Croatia and Mexico

I getting really jealous seeing all the Croatia/Montenegro Dalmation Coast pics friends are posting on social media. '"At the birth of the planet the most beautiful encounter between land and sea must have been on the Montenegrin coast"....Lord Bryon

Such true words!!! Breathtaking part of our planet! I hope to visit again someday...healthy and preferably without a mask!

In the meantime, I am traveling close to home and cherish each opportunity.

A client in San Diego wants to take me sailing - I will probably go there in mid-June. I have two shows planned for July - Seattle and Pittsburgh. I know that none of them are sure things but I don't see any reason, just now, why I won't do all three.

For cheap ($49 flights) domestic non-west-coast travel Florida is pretty much wide open. All the strip clubs in FtL are booming. South Florida has been wide-open since September and in Clearwater/StPete you never could tell there was a covid. (Surprisingly FL's covid #'s are about the same as severe-lockdown places). I wonder how many Montreal guys are in FtL this winter. Phillippe Soulier's been making a killing at Johnson's etc LINK

116015571_3137228653060933_5585409846607829350_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=SHyjNYOSQR0AX83IOBG&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a58ac67570ce3fbf26c98e9c9340b59c&oe=60767C3C

Edited by tassojunior

Once I had my first vaccine dose, I booked my postponed trip to London. I'm not typically an optimistic person, but my "40th birthday" was worth being optimistic. Thankfully the person I was hiring was available for the dates I wanted. Depending on the virus, I may not be comfortable going to a show or eating inside a restaurant but who cares? I can cook and he's super hot and an awesome person. Plus, there's nothing I love more than introducing people to great movies, music and tv shows among other fun indoor activities.

I think I'd avoid traveling outside of the US for the time being. I have tickets to a concert in Toronto in September that got postponed from last year. We'll see if it's safe to travel at that time. I am hopeful it will be with the rate of vaccinations increasing rapidly. The US is doing fairly well with vaccination actually, but Canada is lagging significantly behind. Hopefully by mid-Summer the picture will be clearer about if I can travel to Toronto.

I live in Ontario, Canada and vaccinations for seniors are just getting going. They did all the long term residences first with the limited supply of vaccines that were available from Feb to now. Those over 80 are now getting appointments and these are from next week for first shots and mid July for second shots.

If supplies increase by May these second shots will probably be moved up. For those of us over 70 we expect to get first shots in May but again if supplies increase that could be a bit earlier.

I would think by next September everyone who wants a shot will have had one at least by then. We have 4 approved vaccines as of today, including AstraZeneca and J&J. But no deliveries of the latter. The Astra Zeneca has now been approved for everyone over 18.

The overall rates of infection are still substantially below US levels despite the slow rollout of vaccines. This is because people are more compliant with social distancing and wearing masks. And of course fewer percentage deaths and cases.

For cheap ($49 flights) domestic non-west-coast travel Florida is pretty much wide open. All the strip clubs in FtL are booming. South Florida has been wide-open since September and in Clearwater/StPete you never could tell there was a covid. (Surprisingly FL's covid #'s are about the same as severe-lockdown places). I wonder how many Montreal guys are in FtL this winter. Phillippe Soulier's been making a killing at Johnson's etc LINK

116015571_3137228653060933_5585409846607829350_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=SHyjNYOSQR0AX83IOBG&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a58ac67570ce3fbf26c98e9c9340b59c&oe=60767C3C

They're gorgeous... i've never been to Johnson's. I presume this is where Reno Gold got his start? :)

They're gorgeous... i've never been to Johnson's. I presume this is where Reno Gold got his start? :)

That's "Phillippe Soulier" on the left. 6'5. An internet sensation.

I'm pretty sure Reno Gold got his start about kindergarten. ?

Here's Reno Gold shooting at Johnson's and Reno + Phillippe

Edited by tassojunior

The overall rates of infection are still substantially below US levels despite the slow rollout of vaccines. This is because people are more compliant with social distancing and wearing masks. And of course fewer percentage deaths and cases.

Thanks! This is good information. I definitely knew that Canada was much better at preventing the widespread infections of COVID, but that they were a bit behind with vaccines. Hopefully by September things will be better in both regards and I'll be able to visit Canada. I have some friends and family in Toronto actually so I'd love to see them and might consider going if the situation is safe even if the concert ends up cancelled.

Thanks! This is good information. I definitely knew that Canada was much better at preventing the widespread infections of COVID, but that they were a bit behind with vaccines. Hopefully by September things will be better in both regards and I'll be able to visit Canada. I have some friends and family in Toronto actually so I'd love to see them and might consider going if the situation is safe even if the concert ends up cancelled.

I would like to be able to go to Toronto by then as well, even if the borders are not open to non-essential travel. The outlook on that is pretty murky at this point.

Thanks! This is good information. I definitely knew that Canada was much better at preventing the widespread infections of COVID, but that they were a bit behind with vaccines....

A bit? Quite an understatement. Any country, including Canada, would be wise to let anyone in with proof of immunization. There have been no reports still of any transmissions from vaccinated people.