Get your paper here!!! Get your paper.

purplekow
This topic is 1100 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you watch movies from the forties and fifties it is no unusual to have a background street scene in which there is a newspaper salesman yelling from a risk to get the papers. Sometimes, if it pertains to the story, you will see a newspaper close up, spinning into view and then allowing the barring headline to be read.

I started reading my local newspapers, The Long Island Press, The NY Daily News and the New York Post when I was about 8 or nine years old. The Kitty Genovese story was particularly compelling. The involved a young woman being murdered and dozens of people hearing her cries for help and yet none called the police or tried to intervene. I eventually switched to the NYTimes for news but stayed with the others for sports. entertainment and such. I was having the NYT weekends (FSS) delivered to my home and then with the pandemic, the service became erratic, and I stopped my subscription.

So my question is, Are there on the forum any avid newspaper readers who actually get a newspaper? For those newspaper readers out there, at what age did you start reading the newspaper?

Just as an aside, at about 17 I taught my dog to fetch the newspaper from the lawn, where the delivery person always seemed to toss it. kismet was a great dog and she seemed anxious to do it. She always came right back with the paper and never chewed it up. I have not trusted any of my other dogs to go out without me and return despite this track record.

The involved a young woman being murdered and dozens of people hearing her cries for help and yet none called the police or tried to intervene.

The Genovese story has undergone quite a bit of revisionism in the past few years. Contrary to the original Post story, several individuals actually did respond to Kitty’s screams that night, coming to her aid and calling the police. Many others who heard the screams thought it was a lovers' quarrel or a drunken brawl. And calling 911 was not available in those days and people were often hesitant to involve themselves with the cops who were not always seen as the Good Guys. The "bystander effect" is a real phenomenon but not totally accurate in the Genovese case.

More to your point, I no longer get the physical newspaper as delivery of the local The Courier-Journal became problematic. I am a faithful online reader of The Courier-Journal, The New York Times, and in recent months The Washington Post, which has become my favorite source of news and commentary.

The Genovese story has undergone quite a bit of revisionism in the past few years. Contrary to the original Post story, several individuals actually did respond to Kitty’s screams that night, coming to her aid and calling the police. Many others who heard the screams thought it was a lovers' quarrel or a drunken brawl. And calling 911 was not available in those days and people were often hesitant to involve themselves with the cops who were not always seen as the Good Guys. The "bystander effect" is a real phenomenon but not totally accurate in the Genovese case.

More to your point, I no longer get the physical newspaper as delivery of the local The Courier-Journal became problematic. I am a faithful online reader of The Courier-Journal, The New York Times, and in recent months The Washington Post, which has become my favorite source of news and commentary.

So you gave in to temptation?

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/new-york-times-or-washington-post.161335/post-2014476

. . . at about 17 I taught my dog to fetch the newspaper from the lawn, where the delivery person always seemed to toss it. kismet was a great dog and she seemed anxious to do it. She always came right back with the paper and never chewed it up.

I tried that one summer with mixed results. The dog was good about bringing in the paper, but soon got fixated on Snoopy's adventures with the Red Baron.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.qecq_0HJpO2mNEJ_cB5FJQHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Once he realized he wasn't getting a Fokker Triplane, things settled down for a while. Then the local supermarket started running weekly coupons for Snausages® and the big eyes were more than I could bear.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.7KHhefYFyk39Gb5Rp7r0SQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

That's when I switched to the Evening News with Walter Cronkite. But I had to make sure the closing credits for Lassie were over before I could change the channel. default_rolleyes.gif

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.4IRuzIhV_VwEiXihpfYAowHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Edited by Lookin

My father brought the New York Daily News home after work every day, so from the time I could read it and understand the stories, I would at least glance at the front page. (I remember the photo of Truman on the front page the day after the 1948 election.) But I didn't become a regular reader till I moved to Philadelphia when I was 21 and started reading the Inquirer and the Bulletin. From then on I always preferred to read the local paper wherever I lived rather than watch TV news. In Palm Springs I have The Desert Sun and the LA Times delivered every morning, and always read them. I figure that if there is anything interesting in one of the national papers, like the NYT or WaPo, someone on this site will point me to it.

I have a great photo of my grandmother and three of her grown children, including my father (my mother was also included in the shot) standing outside the Royal York Hotel in Toronto in 1938, dressed in all their finery, about to head off to the church for my uncle’s wedding. Standing beside them looking up at them was this young newspaper lad with a baseball cap on and holding newspapers in his arms. You don’t see that anymore outside hotel entrances.

I have a great photo of my grandmother and three of her grown children, including my father (my mother was also included in the shot) standing outside the Royal York Hotel in Toronto in 1938, dressed in all their finery, about to head off to the church for my uncle’s wedding. Standing beside them looking up at them was this young newspaper lad with a baseball cap on and holding newspapers in his arms. You don’t see that anymore outside hotel entrances.

No, that lad is probably selling the Heavenly Times now.

My father brought the New York Daily News home after work every day, so from the time I could read it and understand the stories, I would at least glance at the front page. (I remember the photo of Truman on the front page the day after the 1948 election.) But I didn't become a regular reader till I moved to Philadelphia when I was 21 and started reading the Inquirer and the Bulletin. From then on I always preferred to read the local paper wherever I lived rather than watch TV news. In Palm Springs I have The Desert Sun and the LA Times delivered every morning, and always read them. I figure that if there is anything interesting in one of the national papers, like the NYT or WaPo, someone on this site will point me to it.

The Bulletin was available in the afternoon and was a staple in my house while growing up. The Inquirer was printed overnight and available in the morning. As cheap as they were at the time, neighbors who had both delivered were thought to be "affluent."

My favorite issue was Thanksgiving Day. The paper that day had to weigh at least 5-pounds and had all the glossy, full-color Christmas advertisements from department and toy stores.

I get the local newspapers (Las Vegas Review-Journal and Las Vegas Sun), USA Today, and Wall Street Journal delivered daily.

I started reading newspapers in my early 30s when my supervisor began bringing his newspaper from home and letting me read it during my lunch break.

I look forward to reading the daily newspapers, but only while I'm out eating in restaurant by myself. On days I don't leave the house, I don't read the paper.

The Kitty Genovese story was also pretty much a crock, much of it made up by NY Times reporter Abe Rosenthal, eager to make a name for himself as a young hot shot. He went on to become executive editor of the paper (his kid is now editor of the editorial pages).http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/10/a-call-for-help

The Kitty Genovese story was particularly compelling. The involved a young woman being murdered and dozens of people hearing her cries for help and yet none called the police or tried to intervene.

My best friend and I once ate lunch at the restaurant below her apartment. Not because of anything to do with the case, but because we were seeing a movie across the street, and because I got airline miles for eating there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHz-ARQBJH0c4M9Lp4muBnVKwhm52kdRf_B4dx2pqLSMGztUdvAQL2TyRFj56D8wiFf4Y&usqp=CAUYMC2RN3O2UI4NQIK3DEUPSNZZU.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/82-70+Austin+St,+Jamaica,+NY+11415/@40.709539,-73.8298802,3a,75y,221.02h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1se1IQq9kqV-ScjF9Wy7Ym6g!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=e1IQq9kqV-ScjF9Wy7Ym6g&cb_client=search.gws-prod.gps&w=86&h=86&yaw=221.0221&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c260bcb3238e25:0xd4fd82e5ee34433a!8m2!3d40.709375!4d-73.830072

Edited by samhexum

My parents subscribed to The Philadelphia Inquirer and took the Sunday New York Times. I got the Los Angeles Times for years, but let it lapse. I still occasionally get the Sunday Times for the crossword which, like my father, I complete in ink.

When I was younger, I loved the upper class WASP wedding announcements in the Times. Today, I’m a digital subscriber of the WSJ.

Are there on the forum any avid newspaper readers who actually get a newspaper?

Get The Buffalo News on Sundays here.

I no longer get the physical newspaper as delivery of the local The Courier-Journal became problematic. I am a faithful online reader of The Courier-Journal, The New York Times, and in recent months The Washington Post, which has become my favorite source of news and commentary.

I didn't become a regular reader till I moved to Philadelphia when I was 21 and started reading the Inquirer and the Bulletin. From then on I always preferred to read the local paper wherever I lived rather than watch TV news.

I read the Sunday Boston Globe and the weekdays Lowell Sun.

I get the local newspapers (Las Vegas Review-Journal and Las Vegas Sun), USA Today, and Wall Street Journal delivered daily. I started reading newspapers in my early 30s when my supervisor began bringing his newspaper from home and letting me read it during my lunch break. I look forward to reading the daily newspapers, but only while I'm out eating in restaurant by myself. On days I don't leave the house, I don't read the paper.

My parents subscribed to The Philadelphia Inquirer and took the Sunday New York Times. I got the Los Angeles Times for years, but let it lapse. I still occasionally get the Sunday Times for the crossword which, like my father, I complete in ink.

Gannett’s Asbury Park Press, the third-largest daily newspaper in New Jersey, sparked outrage over the weekend when it published a photo caption of “a f–king hot nurse” administering a COVID vaccine.

The offensive caption also called the unidentified nurse “a total JAP” — short for Jewish American Princess, a slur — adding racism to the already profane and misogynistic text.

The photo was credited to Gustavo Martinez Contreras, accompanying a Saturday story under his byline about efforts to bring the vaccine to people of color on the Jersey Shore.

The caption was eventually changed and the photo was taken down entirely in later versions of the story, according to David Wildstein of New Jersey Globe, who first broke the story about the caption.

“This is beyond the pale and disgusting,” tweeted state Sen. Vin Gopal (D-Long Branch) while the photo was still live. “Asbury Park Press needs to provide an explanation and apology ASAP on why and how this was posted.”

In a Monday statement, Asbury Park Press executive editor Paul D’Ambrosio said the caption was fixed on Sunday as soon as editors at the paper learned of the issue.

“The words in the caption were totally unacceptable and in no way reflect the principles and practices of the staff of the Press and Gannett,” D’Ambrosio said. “The Press and Gannett have a long history of fighting for inclusiveness, diversity and women’s rights.”

“We took immediate and significant action once we became aware of the issue, and we changed our online procedures to ensure such an event never happens again,” D’Ambrosio added.

Later Monday, however, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy blasted the caption after learning of it, according to the New Jersey Globe.

“I frankly didn’t believe it,” Murphy said at a press conference on COVID on Monday, the Globe reported. “I then read it with my own eyes and it is unfathomable that someone could have written that, even privately, never mind that it was published.”

Murphy also suggested that someone’s job should be at stake.

“I would think, with all due respect, someone has to pay a price for that. That’s completely, incredibly offensive,” Murphy said. “Even the apology missed the point.”

Martinez Contreras didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Missed it, so went back to daily home delivery of the local suburban paper. It’s a lot thinner these days, and it came with digital edition so I get four or five emails a day. I just delete those.

It‘s my quiet time to sit and read it. If I don’t get to it, then I read two days the next day.

When I was younger, I loved the upper class WASP wedding announcements in the Times. Today, I’m a digital subscriber of the WSJ.

Yeah, I remember those, even if I only read the NYTimes sporadically in those days. The wedding announcements were a profile in one upmanship on the social ladder in East coast and Mid West Society. Mostly couples from New York, Boston, Chicago and Philadelphia. The real Social Register crowd and some wannabes.

I only attended one such event in the mid 1970’s on Long Island, straight out of Gatsby. The estate had its own helicopter pad, which wasn’t that usual then. Sit down dinner under lawn canopies for 300. And a live band for dancing into the wee hours.

The marriage lasted about 7 years.

Gannett’s Asbury Park Press, the third-largest daily newspaper in New Jersey, sparked outrage over the weekend when it published a photo caption of “a f–king hot nurse” administering a COVID vaccine.

The offensive caption also called the unidentified nurse “a total JAP” — short for Jewish American Princess, a slur — adding racism to the already profane and misogynistic text.

The photo was credited to Gustavo Martinez Contreras, accompanying a Saturday story under his byline about efforts to bring the vaccine to people of color on the Jersey Shore.

The caption was eventually changed and the photo was taken down entirely in later versions of the story, according to David Wildstein of New Jersey Globe, who first broke the story about the caption.

“This is beyond the pale and disgusting,” tweeted state Sen. Vin Gopal (D-Long Branch) while the photo was still live. “Asbury Park Press needs to provide an explanation and apology ASAP on why and how this was posted.”

In a Monday statement, Asbury Park Press executive editor Paul D’Ambrosio said the caption was fixed on Sunday as soon as editors at the paper learned of the issue.

“The words in the caption were totally unacceptable and in no way reflect the principles and practices of the staff of the Press and Gannett,” D’Ambrosio said. “The Press and Gannett have a long history of fighting for inclusiveness, diversity and women’s rights.”

“We took immediate and significant action once we became aware of the issue, and we changed our online procedures to ensure such an event never happens again,” D’Ambrosio added.

Later Monday, however, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy blasted the caption after learning of it, according to the New Jersey Globe.

“I frankly didn’t believe it,” Murphy said at a press conference on COVID on Monday, the Globe reported. “I then read it with my own eyes and it is unfathomable that someone could have written that, even privately, never mind that it was published.”

Murphy also suggested that someone’s job should be at stake.

“I would think, with all due respect, someone has to pay a price for that. That’s completely, incredibly offensive,” Murphy said. “Even the apology missed the point.”

Martinez Contreras didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Foolish Gustavo should have been aware that his outrageous words would ignite a cascade of two minute hates.

Foolish Gustavo should have been aware that his outrageous words would ignite a cascade of two minute hates.

The photojournalist behind the “f—king hot nurse” caption in the Asbury Park Press no longer has a job with Gannett-owned daily, which has promised to start requiring two sets of eyes on every story.

“The reporter in question is no longer with the company,” APP executive editor Paul D’Ambrosio wrote in a column on Tuesday in an effort to explain the caption, which caused an uproar for describing an unidentified nurse giving as COVID-19 vaccine as a “f—king hot nurse” and “real JAP”– an acronym for Jewish American Princess.

D’Ambrosio said he accepted “full responsibility” for the error and that journalists will no longer be allowed to self publish as a result.

“On Monday, I instructed our staff to always put two sets of eyes on each piece of content, including stories and photos. No photo and caption will be published without another staffer looking it over, regardless of the time of day.”

The photo was credited to Gustavo Martinez Contreras and accompanied a Saturday story under his byline about efforts to bring the vaccine to people of color on the Jersey Shore town of Lakewood.

Martinez Contreras went by the Twitter handle NewsGus, which on Tuesday carried the notice “Account suspended,” and the note “Twitter suspends accounts which violate Twitter rules.”

In his column, D’Ambrosio said stories and pictures ordinarily get reviewed ahead of time, but that in order encourage breaking news journalists were also allowed to post directly to the Web site and app. The photo caption “was on the last of 22 photos and no second set of eyes have reviewed the images. The late hour and the self-publication led the story to blend in with the dozens of other stories on the site without the proper safety checks.”

“The words in the caption were totally unacceptable and in no way reflect the principles and practices of the staff of the Press and Gannett,” D’Ambrosio wrote. He said at first, he thought the system had been hacked. “In reality, it was a reporter who admitted that he did a ‘stupid, stupid, thing.'”

The caption in the Garden State’s third-largest newspaper caused such an uproar even Gov. Phil Murphy weighed in during a press conference in Trenton on Monday. The gov also said he, too, was initially skeptical in an era of fake news. “I then read it with my own eyes and it is unfathomable that someone could have written that, even privately, never mind that it was published.”

The caption went live on the APP Web site on Saturday evening and remained up hours until Sunday evening according to the New Jersey Globe, which broke the story.

Martinez Contreras did not return calls seeking comment but D’Ambrosio in his column Tuesday said that the reporter issued an apology. It said: “I’ve prided myself as a man who has been an advocate and supporter of women’s rights and cultural sensitivity but this caption shows that I have plenty of work to do to address my own issues to make sure that my words and actions always treat others with respect.”