Greatest Real Estate Finds

MysticMenace

1 hour ago, JoeMendoza said:

if that 3500 acres can be "thoughtfully" subdivided, subject to Cal's notoriously strict coastal ordinances, that price could be manageable.....

though I see it's been for sale for six months, so there must be some other reasons people aren't rushing in to buy.....

Edited by azdr0710

• 1 month later...

Boston parking spot costs $375K, as expensive as an American home

At least it’s heated.

This $375,000 parking spot in Boston is as expensive as most US houses — and is more than 10 times more expensive per square foot.

The heated spot is in Boston’s Columbus neighborhood near the Prudential Center. It sits under the Residences at 201 West Brookline, built as a church in 1900 and converted into a luxury condominium building in 2018.

US houses typically list for slightly more than what this spot is asking, about $380,000 in August, according to Realtor.com monthly housing data.

And assuming the spot is a standard 9-by-18 size, that makes it $2,314.81 per square foot — 11.5 times the $184.28 median listing price per square foot in the nation in August, according to Realtor.com.

Boston real estate is more expensive than the national average — but even for Boston prices, this spot is pricey. Median home listings in Boston typically cost $659,000 in August — or $398.93 per square foot, according to Realtor.com.

Listing agent Tracy Campion did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The heated spot is in Boston's Columbus neighborhood near the Prudential Center. The heated spot is in Boston’s Columbus neighborhood near the Prudential Center.  

• 4 weeks later...

‘All the Queens Houses’: Woodside architect’s book captures borough’s ‘domestic treasures’ in photos

About a decade ago, a curious architect-photographer from Queens, who had a “thing” for unusual dwellings — and understood that someone’s abode is, indeed, their castle — embarked on an adventure that turned into a wonderful obsession.

While biking and walking around his beloved borough — where each neighborhood offers its own unique flavor, and one can see myriad styles reflected in homes that are as diverse as the folks who dwell inside them — Rafael Herrin-Ferri discovered, and started taking photos of, Queens’ surprisingly remarkable “domestic treasures.”

The result? An impressive collection featuring thousands of captivating photographs that chronicled his amazing odyssey.

“All the Queens Houses: An Architectural Portrait Of New York’s Largest and Most Diverse Borough” was on display at The Architectural League of New York’s office gallery in Manhattan in 2017. The exhibition showcased almost 300 snapshots of local “castles” taken across 34 neighborhoods.

Then, a must-see photography book followed.

all-the-queens_cover_vorab2-800x1200.jpg

“As I started to get to know the ‘World’s Borough,’ I was delighted to discover how unorthodox the housing stock was. Regardless of socio-economic status, almost every street of every Queens neighborhood has some highly idiosyncratic residential structure exhibiting great personal, cultural and, in many cases, religious pride. And it became my mission to discover them all,” Herrin-Ferri said.

The book is now available in stores, as well as online on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

This is more than your typical photo book, according to its author, who points out that there are 175 short interpretive texts (i.e. extended captions) that detail the history of the houses and situate them in the context of Queens, and includes the architectural history at times.

ATQH_05_Ozone-Park-1200x900.jpgA home in Ozone Park. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri) ATQH_01_Jackson-Heights-1200x900.jpgA home in Jackson Heights. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri)

Readers can also find a scholarly introductory essay by New School professor and celebrated urbanist Joseph Heathcott, as well as a foreword by Herrin-Ferri.

In order to access every block of the borough without a car of his own, the roving architect — who lives on the Sunnyside and Woodside border, just east of the Celtic Park Garden Apartment complex — would rely on his trusty folding bike, which he’d take on the subway or the Long Island Rail Road or pop into the trunk of a cab or Zipcar. Neighborhoods that were more accessible by subway were explored on foot or skateboard.

“I have always been interested in exploring unknown landscapes. When I was younger, they were mostly natural; now they are more urban. I especially like to get a complete picture of the cities in which I live,” the Spanish-born artist said, noting that before moving to New York in 2003, he “thoroughly explored” the cities of San Francisco and Barcelona, Spain.

As the project progressed, weather was foremost on Herrin-Ferri’s mind, since he would spend chunks of his free time taking photos on cloudy days, when there was a chance that it could start raining.

“February and March were the best months for stable cloud cover, [which is] best for capturing true colors and architectural detail; minimal street tree foliage [so there were] no leaves blocking façades; and no holiday decorations, save Valentine’s Day – not a big one for Queens,” he recalled.

But if the sun came out — after a long subway ride to his destination — he’d have to go back home, disappointed.

ATQH_03_Elmhurst_1-740x1200.jpgA home in Elmhurst. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri) ATQH_03_Elmhurst_2-1200x956.jpgA home in Elmhurst. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri)

Looking back on those chilly photo sessions, the author recalled those frustrating times when his camera and phone batteries would suddenly get depleted, and he felt as if his fingers were frozen.

“Nevertheless, these were among the best times surveying, and the times when the ‘mission’ had even more meaning,” he said. “For the most part, the people I encountered and who questioned what I was doing, were very supportive, even complimentary at times.”

ATQH_04_Howard-Beach-1200x800.jpgA home in Howard Beach. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri) ATQH_06_Wave-Crest-1200x900.jpgA home in Wave Crest. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri) ATQH_03_Forest-Hills_1-1200x900.jpgA home in Forest Hills. (Photo courtesy of Rafael Herrin-Ferri)

But on a couple of occasions, his actions were misinterpreted and things got a little “hairy,” he recalled.

“One time, a guy following me in his car had called the cops. On another occasion, a homeowner, who also happened to be a security guard, restrained me, physically,” Herrin-Ferri said. “In both, I was lucky enough to be able to convince them of my artistic intentions, and they let me go.”

“All in all, it was an incredible adventure into one of the most interesting built environments I have ever seen,” he added.

The lover of eclectic homes spoke about his favorite Queens neighborhood: Corona. Herrin-Ferri explained that he liked the area for “its intricate street patterns and eclectic mix of housing types that have a high concentration of ‘living balconies,’” i.e. furnished balconies that double as exterior living and dining areas.

And his favorite architectural styles? “Painted Tudors, polychromatic brick ‘Fedders’ buildings and Janus-faced, two-family structures,” Herrin-Ferri said.

What makes Queens really special?

“Its tremendous diversity is reflected not only in its food, garments and religion, but in a wide range of residential structures that this global community calls home,” Herrin-Ferri said. “Many of these — at the small end of the spectrum — are in what appears to be a slow transformation, as the ‘World’s Borough’ continually re-defines its identity with wave after wave of immigrants.”

He pointed to “the somewhat austere northern European architectural styles employed by the original developers (English, German, Dutch),” which have been altered “to suit a global demographic that values bold colors, patterns and exterior spaces (no empty balconies in this borough).”

“Apart from the physical structures themselves, I also believe the urban fabric of Queens is quite unique. Queens is a patchwork of small town centers and villages that grew together, but the village charm is still there,” Herrin-Ferri said. “Winding roads and shifting grid patterns are a nightmare to navigate by car but lend the borough a great human scale that is wonderful to walk, bike and live in.”

The Woodside creative, whose family lives up in Ithaca and in Valencia, Spain, said he has several friends sprinkled throughout the borough, but mostly concentrated in western Queens.

Herrin-Ferri said he finished surveying the borough in 2020, and was able to work on the book during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“What started more in the tradition of urban exploration, or rambling, led to a meticulous system of surveying that allowed me to complete the project in under 10 years … or my lifetime, perhaps,” Herrin-Ferri said.

He said the pandemic allowed him to focus on his book.

“It has been a blessing in disguise, for the most part. It allowed me to hunker down and finish this book project, [which was] seven years in the making, have a more flexible work schedule, and spend some quality time with my family during weekdays,” Herrin-Ferri said. “If we can ever put this pandemic behind us, I hope it teaches us to strike a better work-life balance. But I do dearly miss jumping on the train and the daily interaction with my fellow New Yorkers in Queens and beyond, without masks. That part has been horrible.”

Prior to this massive project, the multi-talented artist’s work was on display at a local abstract art exhibit at Bliss on Bliss Art Projects in Sunnyside, along with fellow collage artists from the Philippines. Surprisingly, that “abstract and informal interest” is part of what Herrin-Ferri refers to as his “aesthetic criteria for photographing houses,” and has ignited much of his passion for all things architecture.

Edited by samhexum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Medieval castle with watchtower and drawbridge on sale for $2.3M

A Medieval-inspired castles lists for $2.3 million.

Where’s Shrek when you need him?

A faux-Medieval castle — complete with trap doors, a dungeon and a secret underground grotto featuring a jacuzzi — could be yours for $2.3 million.

Entering the fortress requires visitors to traverse two gates, two watchtowers, a moat, a drawbridge and, last but not least, an actual portcullis.

The kingly residence was built not during the Middle Ages in Europe — but in 1990, in suburban Detroit.

A local businessman began construction on the castle for himself and his two children in the mid-1980s. Although he sold it in 2015, he lived in the castle through 2019.

“It was a give and take between what really could happen — and a dream for a homeowner where money was no object. He wanted to have a home that was something he dreamed about as a kid,” listing agent Michael Kuligowski told Realtor.com, adding: “To live in the house would be like living in a kind of childhood dream for someone who grew up idolizing the Knights of the Round Table and living in the Renaissance era.”

The castle is situated on over six acres of land. The castle is situated on more than six acres of land. Courtesy of Realtor.com A functional portcullis located at the entrance of LeBlanc Castle At the entrance of LeBlanc Castle is a functional portcullis. Courtesy of Realtor.com A Knight in a suit of armor stands as a decoration at the entrance. A decorative suit of armor flanks the entryway. Courtesy of Realtor.com The grand foyer. The grand foyer. Courtesy of Realtor.com

Spanning almost 10,800 square feet, the castle features a total of 26 rooms with custom finishes and hidden surprises.

“The trap doors, hidden passageways and hallways are just fun and unique. They wow your friends and your family,” said Kuligowski of the home’s more idiosyncratic attributes. “Pushing a bookcase and then realizing it it leads to a room. When it’s closed, you’d never know there was a room behind it.”

“Even the door hinges are very Victorian-style and there are details around the home that are undoubtedly castle-like and timeless,” he continued. “It was custom-designed to be a 15th-century-style English castle.”

The grand staircase. The grand staircase. Courtesy of Realtor.com One of five bedrooms. One of five bedrooms. Courtesy of Realtor.com One of seven bathrooms. One of seven bathrooms. Courtesy of Realtor.com The underground garage. A unique garage with lights meant to communicate an “under the stars” theme. Courtesy of Realtor.com

Made up of five bedrooms and seven bathrooms, the castle is situated on more than six acres land.

Still, it will take a special someone with a truly unrelenting thirst for adventure to want this place. First listed in September, the property has yet to find a buyer.

“The frame is built with 60 tons of steel and construction took over 6 years utilizing artisans from all over the world. The castle is 60 feet tall, or taller than a 4 story building,” the listing states.

A sitting area. A sitting area. Courtesy of Realtor.com The pub space. The pub space. Courtesy of Realtor.com Another bedroom with golden wallpaper. Another bedroom with golden wallpaper. Courtesy of Realtor.com The castle is made up of 10,790 square feet. The castle spans 10,790 square feet. Courtesy of Realtor.com

“It features a moat, waterfall, drawbridge, portcullis, elevator, 5 fireplaces, 6 new furnaces, secret rooms, hidden doors, hidden passageways, hidden staircase, wine cellar, Tudor style pub, and a few more surprises,” the listing adds.

What’s more, the primary suite features a custom-made bed that was assembled in the room itself and therefore impossible to remove.

The full bar comes with 12-foot ceilings and unique details in the walls.

“They plastered over [a stone wall] and then put some straw in it in the same style they would have done 500 years ago, when they would essentially do mud walls with straw as a bonding agent,” Kuligowski explained.

The castle is the largest home in the upscale gated community.

“This is the biggest lot, but also the first lot that was developed, so it’s in the very back of a neighborhood,” he clarified. “There are homes with different architectural styles but mostly Colonials.”

In describing the ideal buyer, Kuligowski said: “Someone that grew up loving fairy-tales or stories would really fit this house.”

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:54 AM, samhexum said:

A faux-Medieval castle — complete with trap doors, a dungeon and a secret underground grotto featuring a jacuzzi — could be yours for $2.3 million.

Entering the fortress requires visitors to traverse two gates, two watchtowers, a moat, a drawbridge and, last but not least, an actual portcullis.

The kingly residence was built not during the Middle Ages in Europe — but in 1990, in suburban Detroit.

A local businessman began construction on the castle for himself and his two children in the mid-1980s. Although he sold it in 2015, he lived in the castle through 2019.

“It was a give and take between what really could happen — and a dream for a homeowner where money was no object. He wanted to have a home that was something he dreamed about as a kid,” listing agent Michael Kuligowski told Realtor.com, adding: “To live in the house would be like living in a kind of childhood dream for someone who grew up idolizing the Knights of the Round Table and living in the Renaissance era.”

The castle is situated on over six acres of land. The castle is situated on more than six acres of land. Courtesy of Realtor.com A functional portcullis located at the entrance of LeBlanc Castle At the entrance of LeBlanc Castle is a functional portcullis. Courtesy of Realtor.com A Knight in a suit of armor stands as a decoration at the entrance. A decorative suit of armor flanks the entryway. Courtesy of Realtor.com The grand foyer. The grand foyer. Courtesy of Realtor.com

Spanning almost 10,800 square feet, the castle features a total of 26 rooms with custom finishes and hidden surprises.

“The trap doors, hidden passageways and hallways are just fun and unique. They wow your friends and your family,” said Kuligowski of the home’s more idiosyncratic attributes. “Pushing a bookcase and then realizing it it leads to a room. When it’s closed, you’d never know there was a room behind it.”

“Even the door hinges are very Victorian-style and there are details around the home that are undoubtedly castle-like and timeless,” he continued. “It was custom-designed to be a 15th-century-style English castle.”

The grand staircase. The grand staircase. Courtesy of Realtor.com One of five bedrooms. One of five bedrooms. Courtesy of Realtor.com One of seven bathrooms. One of seven bathrooms. Courtesy of Realtor.com The underground garage. A unique garage with lights meant to communicate an “under the stars” theme. Courtesy of Realtor.com

Made up of five bedrooms and seven bathrooms, the castle is situated on more than six acres land.

Still, it will take a special someone with a truly unrelenting thirst for adventure to want this place. First listed in September, the property has yet to find a buyer.

“The frame is built with 60 tons of steel and construction took over 6 years utilizing artisans from all over the world. The castle is 60 feet tall, or taller than a 4 story building,” the listing states.

A sitting area. A sitting area. Courtesy of Realtor.com The pub space. The pub space. Courtesy of Realtor.com Another bedroom with golden wallpaper. Another bedroom with golden wallpaper. Courtesy of Realtor.com The castle is made up of 10,790 square feet. The castle spans 10,790 square feet. Courtesy of Realtor.com

“It features a moat, waterfall, drawbridge, portcullis, elevator, 5 fireplaces, 6 new furnaces, secret rooms, hidden doors, hidden passageways, hidden staircase, wine cellar, Tudor style pub, and a few more surprises,” the listing adds.

What’s more, the primary suite features a custom-made bed that was assembled in the room itself and therefore impossible to remove.

“They plastered over [a stone wall] and then put some straw in it in the same style they would have done 500 years ago, when they would essentially do mud walls with straw as a bonding agent,” Kuligowski explained.

“This is the biggest lot, but also the first lot that was developed, so it’s in the very back of a neighborhood,” he clarified. “There are homes with different architectural styles but mostly Colonials.”

In describing the ideal buyer, Kuligowski said: “Someone that grew up loving fairy-tales or stories would really fit this house.”

What a steal!

In Toronto, that kind of money would get you a 1500 sq. ft. renovated 19th century working class townhouse in a central area.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:54 AM, samhexum said:

Does a staff (Butler, 3 Maids, 2 cooks, 2 gardeners) come with full price? Make an offer, I guess.

Escape from NYC with your very own private island, just 30 minutes away

https://nypost.com/2022/01/17/escape-nyc-with-your-very-own-private-island-30-minutes-away/

The Mediterranean-style estate is listed for $4.9 million.

You can now buy your very own private island just 30 minutes from Manhattan — if you have $4.9 million to burn.

Located in the upscale New Rochelle community known as Premium Point, the Mediterranean-style waterfront estate on Oak Island spans a colossal 7,800 square feet on nearly three-quarters of an acre of property.

Modeled after an Italian villa, it boasts six bedrooms, six bathrooms and a pool, as well as access to a private beach and boathouse, not to mention 24/7 security.

For easy accessibility, the island is connected to the mainland by a 50-foot-long concrete bridge, erected when the house was constructed in 1917.

The current owners have updated the residence to include a two-story addition complete with wine room and terrace with a built-in fireplace overlooking the water.

The estate offers views of Long Island Sound and Premium Mill Pond and is one of some 60 islands that dot the shores of Westchester County.

“You’re on the cusp of New Rochelle, which is bustling, but also the quaint village of Larchmont,” Margaret Grasso of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices told Realtor.com. “You have the best of both worlds.”

The exclusive gated yachting community of Premium Point, founded in 1882, hearkens back to the Gilded Age. Back then, New Rochelle was known as “Queen City of the Sound” and a popular summer destination for the wealthy. 

The home at 20 Premium Point is also a relative bargain. In 2010, an estate in the community designed by Stanford White, with landscaping by Fredrick Olmstead, hit the market for $12 million. Known as “All Views,” it was built in 1890 by banker and avid yachtsman C. Oliver Iselin. 

Other notable Premium Point residents over the years have included artist Norman Rockwell, J.P. Morgan, Revlon founder Charles Revson, LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault, Nigerian billionaire and diplomat Antonio Deinde Fernandez and former Yankees manager Joe Torre.

The community has had its share of scandal. In 2005, several owners reportedly sued the community’s board over maintenance fees, which at the time cost as much as $30,000, alleging the board made “secret agreements” with select owners.

The expansive patio with an entertainment lounge and el-fresco dining space. The expansive patio with an entertainment lounge and an al fresco dining space. realtor.com The pool and hot tub. The expansive pool and hot tub are surrounded by a lush landscape. realtor.com A entertainment living room with wall-wall arched colonial windows. An entertainment-centered living room with wall-to-wall arched colonial windows. realtor.com The formal living room. The formal living room. realtor.com The family room. The family room. realtor.com $4.9M Private Island in New York Is the ‘Ultimate Staycation’ The private island is just 30 minutes from Manhattan. realtor.com The kitchen with two islands. The kitchen featuring two islands. realtor.com The formal dining room. The formal dining room.   The primary bedroom with a terrace and a wood-burning fireplace. The primary bedroom with a terrace and a wood-burning fireplace. realtor.com The expansive terrace off the primary bedroom. The expansive terrace off of the primary bedroom. realtor.com The primary bathroom with a sinking tub. The primary bathroom with a sinking tub.  

The property spans almost 7,800 square feet.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:21 PM, samhexum said:

Boston parking spot costs $375K, as expensive as an American home

At least it’s heated.

This $375,000 parking spot in Boston is as expensive as most US houses — and is more than 10 times more expensive per square foot.

The heated spot is in Boston’s Columbus neighborhood near the Prudential Center. It sits under the Residences at 201 West Brookline, built as a church in 1900 and converted into a luxury condominium building in 2018.

US houses typically list for slightly more than what this spot is asking, about $380,000 in August, according to Realtor.com monthly housing data.

And assuming the spot is a standard 9-by-18 size, that makes it $2,314.81 per square foot — 11.5 times the $184.28 median listing price per square foot in the nation in August, according to Realtor.com.

Boston real estate is more expensive than the national average — but even for Boston prices, this spot is pricey. Median home listings in Boston typically cost $659,000 in August — or $398.93 per square foot, according to Realtor.com.

Listing agent Tracy Campion did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The heated spot is in Boston's Columbus neighborhood near the Prudential Center. The heated spot is in Boston’s Columbus neighborhood near the Prudential Center.  

I once lived in an apartment house in Manhattan in which the parking spaces in the basement were sold separately from the apartments. In retrospect, I realized that I had made a mistake in not buying a parking space when I bought the apartment, because the lack of a space made the apartment less attractive when it was time to sell it (though I still sold it for four times what I had paid for it--Manhattan real estate was crazy).

10 hours ago, samhexum said:

Escape from NYC with your very own private island, just 30 minutes away

https://nypost.com/2022/01/17/escape-nyc-with-your-very-own-private-island-30-minutes-away/

The Mediterranean-style estate is listed for $4.9 million.

You can now buy your very own private island just 30 minutes from Manhattan — if you have $4.9 million to burn.

Located in the upscale New Rochelle community known as Premium Point, the Mediterranean-style waterfront estate on Oak Island spans a colossal 7,800 square feet on nearly three-quarters of an acre of property.

Modeled after an Italian villa, it boasts six bedrooms, six bathrooms and a pool, as well as access to a private beach and boathouse, not to mention 24/7 security.

For easy accessibility, the island is connected to the mainland by a 50-foot-long concrete bridge, erected when the house was constructed in 1917.

The current owners have updated the residence to include a two-story addition complete with wine room and terrace with a built-in fireplace overlooking the water.

The estate offers views of Long Island Sound and Premium Mill Pond and is one of some 60 islands that dot the shores of Westchester County.

“You’re on the cusp of New Rochelle, which is bustling, but also the quaint village of Larchmont,” Margaret Grasso of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices told Realtor.com. “You have the best of both worlds.”

The exclusive gated yachting community of Premium Point, founded in 1882, hearkens back to the Gilded Age. Back then, New Rochelle was known as “Queen City of the Sound” and a popular summer destination for the wealthy. 

The home at 20 Premium Point is also a relative bargain. In 2010, an estate in the community designed by Stanford White, with landscaping by Fredrick Olmstead, hit the market for $12 million. Known as “All Views,” it was built in 1890 by banker and avid yachtsman C. Oliver Iselin. 

Other notable Premium Point residents over the years have included artist Norman Rockwell, J.P. Morgan, Revlon founder Charles Revson, LVMH chairman Bernard Arnault, Nigerian billionaire and diplomat Antonio Deinde Fernandez and former Yankees manager Joe Torre.

The community has had its share of scandal. In 2005, several owners reportedly sued the community’s board over maintenance fees, which at the time cost as much as $30,000, alleging the board made “secret agreements” with select owners.

The expansive patio with an entertainment lounge and el-fresco dining space. The expansive patio with an entertainment lounge and an al fresco dining space. realtor.com The pool and hot tub. The expansive pool and hot tub are surrounded by a lush landscape. realtor.com A entertainment living room with wall-wall arched colonial windows. An entertainment-centered living room with wall-to-wall arched colonial windows. realtor.com The formal living room. The formal living room. realtor.com The family room. The family room. realtor.com $4.9M Private Island in New York Is the ‘Ultimate Staycation’ The private island is just 30 minutes from Manhattan. realtor.com The kitchen with two islands. The kitchen featuring two islands. realtor.com The formal dining room. The formal dining room.   The primary bedroom with a terrace and a wood-burning fireplace. The primary bedroom with a terrace and a wood-burning fireplace. realtor.com The expansive terrace off the primary bedroom. The expansive terrace off of the primary bedroom. realtor.com The primary bathroom with a sinking tub. The primary bathroom with a sinking tub.  

The property spans almost 7,800 square feet.

Have you ever seen so much white furniture! And it's not even in Florida. What happens when it snows?

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JoeMendoza said:

it's only $295M - pretty affordable. lol

960x0.jpg?fit=bounds&format=jpg&width=96

Is that Nile Miami's The One?  If so, it started at an asking price of $500 million.  Knocked down to just $295 million ... think of all the money you're saving!!

3 hours ago, BSR said:

Is that Nile Miami's The One?  If so, it started at an asking price of $500 million.  Knocked down to just $295 million ... think of all the money you're saving!!

I can't help but think of all the meals that could buy for those who are hungry, and how many homeless people that amount of money could house safely and securely.  

One of the “most glamorous” penthouses on the Upper East Side is now in contract. 

The 6,241-square-foot home at 15 E. 69th St., was formerly owned by the late Broadway producer and socialite Terry Allen Kramer. It last asked $32 million. Kramer, heir to the fortune of Charlie Allen Jr., founder of investment firm Allen & Co., produced shows including “Kinky Boots,” “Evita” and “Hello, Dolly!”

The duplex opens from a private elevator landing to a double-height gallery, marble floors and a marble-clad staircase featuring a cast-iron and bronze banister. 

The residence boasts four bedrooms, along with more than 2,000 square feet of outdoor space across two terraces showing stunning city skyline views.

Inside, the glam details include a solarium and wood-burning fireplaces in the living room and the large main bedroom suite.

There’s also a spacious chef’s kitchen that opens to a dining room.

Building amenities include a gym, concierge, doorman and wine cellar. 

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #19 of 20: image of floorplan

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #1 of 20

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #3 of 20

I think this kitchen is ugly.

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #7 of 20

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #12 of 20

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #18 of 20

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

One of the “most glamorous” penthouses on the Upper East Side is now in contract. 

The 6,241-square-foot home at 15 E. 69th St., was formerly owned by the late Broadway producer and socialite Terry Allen Kramer. It last asked $32 million. Kramer, heir to the fortune of Charlie Allen Jr., founder of investment firm Allen & Co., produced shows including “Kinky Boots,” “Evita” and “Hello, Dolly!”

The duplex opens from a private elevator landing to a double-height gallery, marble floors and a marble-clad staircase featuring a cast-iron and bronze banister. 

The residence boasts four bedrooms, along with more than 2,000 square feet of outdoor space across two terraces showing stunning city skyline views.

Inside, the glam details include a solarium and wood-burning fireplaces in the living room and the large main bedroom suite.

There’s also a spacious chef’s kitchen that opens to a dining room.

Building amenities include a gym, concierge, doorman and wine cellar. 

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #19 of 20: image of floorplan

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #1 of 20

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #3 of 20

I think this kitchen is ugly.

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #7 of 20

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #12 of 20

15 East 69 Street, New York, NY, 10021 photo #18 of 20

here's today's article on the sale, evidently selling for the full asking price.....does this place look to anybody like it was a later addition to the roof of the building??......that exterior view of the patio and narrow two-story brick wall is not particularly "glamorous" in a place like NYC....

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/nyc-home-of-broadway-producer-terry-kramer-sells/

Without a doubt [it is] the most glamorous Penthouse on the Upper East Side”, says the overly exuberant listing agent.....I'd rather doubt that realtor-speak!.....

does 432 Park Avenue count as UES??......I daresay that is the most glamorous penthouse in all of NYC now for sale......was the tallest residential building in the western hemisphere until the Central Park Tower beat it recently......

https://www.6sqft.com/see-inside-the-169m-penthouse-at-432-park-avenue/ 

432-Park-2019.jpeg

Edited by azdr0710

34 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

here's today's article on the sale, evidently selling for the full asking price.....does this place look to anybody like it was a later addition to the roof of the building??......that exterior view of the patio and narrow two-story brick wall is not particularly "glamorous" in a place like NYC....

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/nyc-home-of-broadway-producer-terry-kramer-sells/

Without a doubt [it is] the most glamorous Penthouse on the Upper East Side”, says the overly exuberant listing agent.....I'd rather doubt that realtor-speak!.....

does 432 Park Avenue count as UES??......I daresay that is the most glamorous penthouse in all of NYC now for sale......was the tallest residential building in the western hemisphere until the Central Park Tower beat it recently......

https://www.6sqft.com/see-inside-the-169m-penthouse-at-432-park-avenue/ 

432-Park-2019.jpeg

Because NYC neighborhoods have no official boundaries, you can call 432 Park the Upper East Side if you want, but I think most would say it's Midtown, maybe Midtown East.

While I love 432 Park as a work of architecture and engineering, apparently it's a nightmare for the residents.  The condo owners are suing the developer for $500 million, yikes, because of numerous serious issues like flooding and water damage, unbearably loud building "groaning" in high winds, elevators shutting down and trapping residents in high wind.  Here's a video covering just how bad the situation is:

21 hours ago, BSR said:

Because NYC neighborhoods have no official boundaries, you can call 432 Park the Upper East Side if you want, but I think most would say it's Midtown, maybe Midtown East.

While I love 432 Park as a work of architecture and engineering, apparently it's a nightmare for the residents.  The condo owners are suing the developer for $500 million, yikes, because of numerous serious issues like flooding and water damage, unbearably loud building "groaning" in high winds, elevators shutting down and trapping residents in high wind.  Here's a video covering just how bad the situation is:

Smithsonian Channel did an episode of "How Did They Build That?" on this building. My blood runs cold at the thought of living in such a place.