Greatest Real Estate Finds

MysticMenace

I was thinking that one could transform the Vermont jail into a first-class dungeon, with a large steam room at one end. The problem is that Vermont is so remote from a pool of candidates for the BDSM fantasies.

unless you fly over your fave guys and spend a week of BDSM fun.

A friend and I are taking a trip to San Antonio to look at investment properties.

I'm curious... What neighborhood? SA proper isn't the investment holy grail it was a decade ago.

If it were me, I'd look at San Antonio's bedroom communities: Canyon Lake, New Braunfels, Boerne, Fredericksburg, Wimberly, Fair Oaks Ranch, Kerrville, etc.

?

Not that uncommon in houses in New England. The window likely follows the angle of an adjacent roof likely from an addition.

These are common in Vermont (and the NE). There's an actual term for them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window It's an interesting architectural holdout.

Totally agree. I recognized the style immediately

That would definitely be the bedroom where you'd put your drunk (or tripping) houseguest, have a hidden camera in the room, and submit the tape to America's Funniest Home Videos.

9d3c1499affc14c9b81b2eea929f0abc-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

That would definitely be the bedroom where you'd put your drunk (or tripping) houseguest, have a hidden camera in the room, and submit the tape to America's Funniest Home Videos.

9d3c1499affc14c9b81b2eea929f0abc-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

There's nothing unusual about the room except the window. People in New England are used to the windows

WOW!!!!! you made some GREAT PICKS!!!

I think you’d enjoy this photographer’s site:

https://www.michaelhorsley.com/archive

It literally provides a visual history of what those areas were like, before they revitalized.

Enjoy!!!

I had conservative friends who fled to the suburbs in the 60's and 70's and even now they're afraid of coming to the city wondering how safe it is. They missed the chance of a lifetime or should I a once in a century chance.

I had conservative friends who fled to the suburbs in the 60's and 70's and even now they're afraid of coming to the city wondering how safe it is. They missed the chance of a lifetime or should I a once in a century chance.

Absolutely!!!

Your investments were definitely risky, but the reward was certainly greater.

I always think of a similar story I read in a local

Gay publication years ago, where a man bought an abandoned building , right on Logan Circle, which used to be a “hotel”, that rented “by the hour”, for either streetwalkers, or for crackheads to have a place to “squat , smoke & party”,

He endured burglaries, being robbed at gun point, and from his survival, now, every unit is worth over $1M, and the actual circle that’s right at his window (that used to be a crime ridden, drug circle) is now a renovated park, where children are playing and people are doing yoga outside.

Property investment often embodies a favorite phrase of mine, 'No guts, no glory'

It also reminds me of stories that clients have told me about near-successes that slipped away because of being too risk averse.

One of them is declining stock as payment in a very young tech company owned by Michael Dell. Dell couldn't afford to pay out a lot of liquid cash at the time and it would have made my client millions and millions of dollars.

Thankfully, he jokes about it now :)

Property investment often embodies a favorite phrase of mine, 'No guts, no glory'

It also reminds me of stories that clients have told me about near-successes that slipped away because of being too risk averse.

One of them is declining stock as payment in a very young tech company owned by Michael Dell. Dell couldn't afford to pay out a lot of liquid cash at the time and it would have made my client millions and millions of dollars.

It's difficult to have a positive attitude in that situation, but important nonetheless. Sometimes we are just one good or bad decision away from a life-changing occurence.

Here's a story about a guy who took the stock: artist David Choe accepted Facebook stock instead of a fee of $60K for painting the offices of the then unknown startup. That stock is now worth $200 million.

Man says he lived in secret Veterans Stadium apartment

For two years, Vietnam veteran Tom Garvey claims to have lived in a self-made apartment hidden inside Philadelphia’s Veterans Stadium. Garvey, now 78, says he secretly refurbished an empty concession stand inside the former home of the Phillies and Eagles.

“I was like a kid with a Willy Wonka golden ticket,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Garvey details his experiences — taking non-baseball hits in the dugout, halftime parties, and run-ins with Philly sports legends like Tug McGraw and Julius Erving — in his 188-page book, “The Secret Apartment: Vet Stadium, a surreal memoir,” which was published in December.

He said he worked at the stadium complex parking lots through a company owned by his uncles. Through that job, Garvey received an office at the Vet and keys to an obscure entrance to the stadium.

Across from his office — out in left field — was an unused 60-foot-by-30-foot concession stand. Garvey tricked it out with all the comforts he could: a bed, sink, fridge, coffee maker and hot plate. Leftover AstroTurf made for a good carpet. Parties were a hit — including with the wives of Eagles players, who were waiting for their husbands.

“We’d put music on the stereo and have a drink,” he said. “The husbands would join their wives and have a beer, and then the lot traffic would pull out and we’d get their cars and have dinner.”

Garvey was careful about his secret digs, never taking or allowing photos, though the Inquirer corroborated his story with multiple people.

Not that there weren’t clues he was getting a little too comfy within the confines of Veterans Stadium. A Phillies doubleheader, extended late into the night by rain, made for a puzzling scene for remaining fans.

“There were less than 200 people scattered around,” he said. “They didn’t want to know why I was there in a bathrobe and flip flops, they just wanted to know where I got a hot cup of coffee because the concession stands closed hours ago.”

As all good things do, Garvey’s time in his clandestine apartment came to an end in 1981 when his uncles’ contract with the stadium lots ended.

The stadium was torn down in 2004, and along with it any tangible proof his secret hideout existed. That seems to be OK with Garvey, who got just what he needed from the apartment after returning from war.

“I’d been so busy for so many years when I came home and this gave me the opportunity to put things in perspective,” he said of his time living in Veterans Stadium. “I found it to be healing. It was a place where I went inside myself and found some peace.”

Edited by samhexum

Man says he lived in secret Veterans Stadium apartment

For two years, Vietnam veteran Tom Garvey claims to have lived in a self-made apartment hidden inside Philadelphia’s Veterans Stadium. Garvey, now 78, says he secretly refurbished an empty concession stand inside the former home of the Phillies and Eagles.

“I was like a kid with a Willy Wonka golden ticket,” he told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Garvey details his experiences — taking non-baseball hits in the dugout, halftime parties, and run-ins with Philly sports legends like Tug McGraw and Julius Erving — in his 188-page book, “The Secret Apartment: Vet Stadium, a surreal memoir,” which was published in December.

He said he worked at the stadium complex parking lots through a company owned by his uncles. Through that job, Garvey received an office at the Vet and keys to an obscure entrance to the stadium.

Across from his office — out in left field — was an unused 60-foot-by-30-foot concession stand. Garvey tricked it out with all the comforts he could: a bed, sink, fridge, coffee maker and hot plate. Leftover AstroTurf made for a good carpet. Parties were a hit — including with the wives of Eagles players, who were waiting for their husbands.

“We’d put music on the stereo and have a drink,” he said. “The husbands would join their wives and have a beer, and then the lot traffic would pull out and we’d get their cars and have dinner.”

Garvey was careful about his secret digs, never taking or allowing photos, though the Inquirer corroborated his story with multiple people.

Not that there weren’t clues he was getting a little too comfy within the confines of Veterans Stadium. A Phillies doubleheader, extended late into the night by rain, made for a puzzling scene for remaining fans.

“There were less than 200 people scattered around,” he said. “They didn’t want to know why I was there in a bathrobe and flip flops, they just wanted to know where I got a hot cup of coffee because the concession stands closed hours ago.”

As all good things do, Garvey’s time in his clandestine apartment came to an end in 1981 when his uncles’ contract with the stadium lots ended.

The stadium was torn down in 2004, and along with it any tangible proof his secret hideout existed. That seems to be OK with Garvey, who got just what he needed from the apartment after returning from war.

“I’d been so busy for so many years when I came home and this gave me the opportunity to put things in perspective,” he said of his time living in Veterans Stadium. “I found it to be healing. It was a place where I went inside myself and found some peace.”

I attended many baseball games at the Vet I remember when the announcer told the audience Grace Kelly had died in Monaco, a shock.

How did the football wives party at the last few football games of the season. Was his hideaway heated?

One of the country’s most famously creepy houses is back in the news.

Ronald DeFeo Jr., the notorious killer at the “Amityville Horror” house — a dwelling whose mystique continues to fascinate the public in the wake of a subsequent book and film franchise — died in prison Friday at 69.

DeFeo, whose nickname was Butch, spread terror across Long Island following the gruesome 1974 slaying of his family at their home at 108 Ocean Ave.

The home — its original address was 112 Ocean Ave. but was changed to 108 to deter tourists — was purchased by George and Kathy Lutz one year after the murders. But they ditched the property after only one month due to reported paranormal activity, which inspired a 1977 book and 1979 movie.

On Nov. 13, 1974, DeFeo — who was 23 at the time — shot and killed his parents, Ronald and Louise DeFeo, both 43, and his two brothers and two sisters, ranging in age from 9 to 18.

The house has been on the market four different times since the murders. It was last listed in June 2016 and sold in March 2017 for $605,000, according to property records.

Built in 1925, the single-family home sits on a 10,900-square-foot lot.

DeFeo Jr. was convicted in 1975 of six counts of second-degree murder and received six sentences of 25 years to life.

He was serving his sentence at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, New York, when he died. He had been transferred to Albany Medical Center and pronounced dead at 6:35 p.m.

An autopsy is underway.

amityville-horror-house-02.jpg

The-terrace.jpeg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

sun-room-.jpeg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

amityville-horror-house-10.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

https://nypost.com/2021/03/15/inside-the-amityville-horror-house-today-long-islands-most-notorious-mansion/

One of the country’s most famously creepy houses is back in the news.

Ronald DeFeo Jr., the notorious killer at the “Amityville Horror” house — a dwelling whose mystique continues to fascinate the public in the wake of a subsequent book and film franchise — died in prison Friday at 69.

DeFeo, whose nickname was Butch, spread terror across Long Island following the gruesome 1974 slaying of his family at their home at 108 Ocean Ave.

The home — its original address was 112 Ocean Ave. but was changed to 108 to deter tourists — was purchased by George and Kathy Lutz one year after the murders. But they ditched the property after only one month due to reported paranormal activity, which inspired a 1977 book and 1979 movie.

On Nov. 13, 1974, DeFeo — who was 23 at the time — shot and killed his parents, Ronald and Louise DeFeo, both 43, and his two brothers and two sisters, ranging in age from 9 to 18.

The house has been on the market four different times since the murders. It was last listed in June 2016 and sold in March 2017 for $605,000, according to property records.

Built in 1925, the single-family home sits on a 10,900-square-foot lot.

DeFeo Jr. was convicted in 1975 of six counts of second-degree murder and received six sentences of 25 years to life.

He was serving his sentence at Sullivan Correctional Facility in Fallsburg, New York, when he died. He had been transferred to Albany Medical Center and pronounced dead at 6:35 p.m.

An autopsy is underway.

amityville-horror-house-02.jpg

The-terrace.jpeg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

sun-room-.jpeg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

amityville-horror-house-10.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024

https://nypost.com/2021/03/15/inside-the-amityville-horror-house-today-long-islands-most-notorious-mansion/

aesthetically, the house looks amazing - $605K for the lot size aint bad either, prolly just need a few rounds of saging and feng shui and it'd be a great investment property to grab

I attended many baseball games at the Vet I remember when the announcer told the audience Grace Kelly had died in Monaco, a shock.

Historical point completely off thread topic:

I recall seeing Grace Kelly’s brother John on Penn’s campus back in the ‘60’s. He was involved with the Penn crew team. He drove a sports car with Monaco license plates which was impressive.

Years later, John gained fame for an affair with a transgender woman?:

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/8786d4f1-c320-455a-aa7e-2d379a85d24b

Historical point completely off thread topic:

I recall seeing Grace Kelly’s brother John on Penn’s campus back in the ‘60’s. He was involved with the Penn crew team. He drove a sports car with Monaco license plates which was impressive.

Years later, John gained fame for an affair with a transgender woman?:

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/8786d4f1-c320-455a-aa7e-2d379a85d24b

When Kelly served as a member of Philadelphia City Council, he was known as Jack Kelly. His sister, Grace, stayed with Mr. Kelly when she was in Philadelphia. He was elected to City Council twice, I believe. As @bigjoey noted he was know as a Playboy.

stumbled upon this wonderful real estate dream - 4br, 2ba that was closed for just $150K in VT - boasting a 28' x 40' wing that could be up for someone's imagination!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/43-Courthouse-Dr-Guildhall,-VT,-05905_rb/193818039_zpid/?mmlb=g,0

does any have any other great real estate finds they can share? ?

Wait...is that a jail in the basement?