Glenn Burke, Baseball's Gay Hero Memorialized

Lucky

The NY Times profiles Glenn Burke, the late baseball player who was the first come out of the closet, albeit after his career had ended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/sports/baseball/singled-out-glenn-burke-excerpt.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

The profile is from the book “Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke,” which will be published by Philomel Books on March 2. Burke, a promising prospect for the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1970s, was gay and dealt with discrimination throughout his career. He died of AIDS complications in 1995.

As a baseball fan myself, I look forward to the inside scoop. Burke's sexuality was not entirely a secret in baseball, so there should be some good stories! (Possibly not so much as it is aimed at the YA market.)

Edited by Lucky

• 1 year later...

@Lucky  I just read the NYTimes article.  A good read.  Love how they remembered his singing....

Ooh-oo child

Things are gonna get easier

Ooh-oo child

Things'll get brighter

Susan Payne of PRIDELA.ORG referenced the article in her recent piece on Burke who was honored at this years Los Angeles Dodgerf's LGBTQ+ Pride Night.  

https://thepridela.com/2022/06/44-years-later-mlbs-first-openly-gay-player-glenn-burke-now-celebrated-by-dodgers/

“The most unique human being, the most dynamic person, that I’ve ever met,” said Larry Corrigan, a minor league teammate of Burke’s (1973 to 1976) before working more than three decades as a scout and executive, mostly for Minnesota. “He was built like a god. He was funny, witty and semi-loud if he knew you. But he could be quiet, too.”

spacer.png

On 3/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, Lucky said:

The NY Times profiles Glenn Burke, the late baseball player who was the first come out of the closet, albeit after his career had ended.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:10 PM, WilliamM said:

@Lucky , I read the article yesterday, Glenn Burke's sister was such a significant part of his life, and not just as an excellent cook!

5 hours ago, OCClient said:

@Lucky  I just read the NYTimes article.  A good read.

Nothing about his identical twin sister Delta?

A High Five for Glenn Burke by Phil Bildner came out a couple years ago. A middle reader book for ages 10-14 about a baseball-loving kid who has gay feelings and learns about Burke. Terrific portrayal of going through that difficult time.