Prince Harry to Oprah' " my worry is history repeating itself."

WilliamM
This topic is 738 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

I am so tired of this couple. Always seeking publicity.

Yes, I know how dare they, after all Harry chose to be the distant heir to the British throne like Princess Margaret! 

Harry and Margaret  actually had no choice in the matter, don't you know

On 5/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, MikeThomas said:

“genetic pain”...

... he sure has drunk the Montecito coolaid. If he was serious about all this he would give up his dukedom and he would give up his place in line to be king.

He cannot resign his status as a duke. That title can only be rescinded by the Crown that gave it, his grandmother, who has already restricted use by Harry and Meghan of their "HRH" title, as well as stripped him of his military ranks and other royal patronages. I find it hard to imagine a circumstance in which the Queen would "de-duke" him, with the possible exception of he asks her to and she agrees.

But not even the Queen can remove him from the line of succession, and he can't remove himself from his place in line, either. It would require an act of Parliament to again modify the Act of Succession (1701) to remove any person from their place in the line of succession. Odd as it may sound, that Act of Succession was a significant step in establishing democratic governance in the UK in that it made clear that Parliament and not the Crown shall determine who sits of the throne of the kingdom.

I, too, however, wish the pair of them would just shut up. Like a certain former president who claims to hate the press, and as with the Sussex's, these people spend an awful lot of time courting and speaking to the press. People who truly want a quiet life out of the spotlight don't (a) go on Oprah, (b) buy a spotlight, (c) plug it in, and (d) repeatedly jump in front of it.

They are searching for a way to be relevant.  Even though they are no longer part of the inner circle of the Royal Family, they are still magnitudes of degrees better off than the average person, yet they portray themselves as having similar struggles to everyone else.  They really seem to be out of touch.  I have no doubt their struggles are real, but they are not the same struggles as mine or yours.  Part of the issue is that many Americans seem to gravitate towards royalty as if they are trophies, and put them on pedestals to get in their good graces.  Harry and Megan no longer have royal gravitas - they are now simply a young, good-looking, rich couple with a family living in a privileged situation.  Had they truly wanted to have a quieter life outside of all the limelight and paparazzi, they should have stayed here in Canada.  The fact that they chose to live amongst the celebrities in Southern California suggests to me their deeper desire to remain in the public eye but without any duties or obligations that are expected of those who are royal.  I wish them well, but I think they need to be more honest about their motivations for the change that they made.

• 6 months later...