Best Paid Antivirus?

Lucky
This topic is 965 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I want to have a good antivirus program that does not constantly try to upsell me. Advice?

Personally I use Trend Micro Maximum Security for a while and it has been a good experience. Importantly, if I click on a link and the page takes me someplace scary, Trend Micro will warn me and give me the option to back away.

I pay about $40 a year and it protects 5 devices. Normal price is $80 but they usually run sales so I check the website around public holidays (presidents day, labor day, memorial day etc).

You may find this article of interest - not sure I agree with the conclusion, but it did make some interesting points. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/best-antivirus/

keep-calm-and-back-away-slowly-the-perfect-safari-attire.jpg

I want to have a good antivirus program that does not constantly try to upsell me. Advice?

Personally I use Trend Micro Maximum Security for a while and it has been a good experience. Importantly, if I click on a link and the page takes me someplace scary, Trend Micro will warn me and give me the option to back away.

I pay about $40 a year and it protects 5 devices. Normal price is $80 but they usually run sales so I check the website around public holidays (presidents day, labor day, memorial day etc).

You may find this article of interest - not sure I agree with the conclusion, but it did make some interesting points. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/best-antivirus/

Does this work on a MacBook Pro ? Some people say you don't need anti virus on a MacBook..... Not computer literate here.

for rock-bottom prices on vpn's, security etc, Newegg can be incredibly low on some products. (even though I wouldn't normally buy from them for hardware). I recently got AVG VPN for 5 machines for $10 for a year (other places $100). They usually sell physical cards with activation codes on them.

Edited by tassojunior

for rock-bottom prices on vpn's, security etc, Newegg can be incredibly low on some products. (even though I wouldn't normally buy from them for hardware). I recently got AVG VPN for 5 machines for $10 for a year. They usually sell physical cards with activation codes on them.

Thank you for the reminder - I found some KN95 masks on Newegg for a much better price than Amazon!

Thank you for the reminder - I found some KN95 masks on Newegg for a much better price than Amazon!

Unfortunately, I never recommend them for anything other than software. I also got some masks on Newegg, which somehow became two orders with a PITA return procedure (which I may not have gotten credit for from what I hear of NE), and the masks took over a month to arrive. They showed "in stock" when I ordered but "awaiting stock" after I paid on order status. The card with the VPN codes took about a week. Monoprice is better for stuff other than software.

I suspect Bezos runs Newegg to make Amazon look good.

Edited by tassojunior

• 6 months later...

I'm comfortable with Avast Secure Anywhere. I get it every year on sale at Newegg. (5 machine license)
It has low system resource usage and scans fast. Along with Avast i am using Malwarebytes too.

No infections here for years, except for when a hormonal grandson stayed with us for a week and choked-out the guest PC with Elizabeth Hurley downloads.
He had to turn-off Avast to get them and he knew just how to do that. Restored the PC with an image file and all was good again.