I didn't mean to say that...

samhexum
This topic is 1159 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember in elementary school I had to say Massachusetts for some reason, and it came out Massa-two-shits unintentionally. The teacher just smiled.

I was watching a Mets game a long time ago and broadcaster Ralph Kiner was referencing the Charlotte Hornets basketball team for some reason, and he called them the Charlotte Harlots.

Any embarrassing/funny examples y'all can think of?

When I was in junior high, I was giving an oral report on something or another, and was trying to sound scholarly by using the word "organisms." However as luck would have it, I said "orgasms." Several times in the report, no less. I didn't realize until later. That would explain the odd looks I got!

Years later in college, a professor was giving a history lecture and made the exact same mistake, "orgasms" rather than "organisms." That time the lecture hall burst out laughing, as did he.

English is not my first language.

A friend tells me that when I say fairy sounds like thirty.... he finds it very funny. Haha. But when I say it I swear they sound different to me... until I recorded myself ???

Spanish is my second language. Once in a literature class, we were discussing the violence of the 1968 Mexico City riots. The Spanish word for riot is "motín" but I got mixed up & said "mote" (which means nickname). I noticed the professor giving me a weird look, but like an idiot, I just kept prattling on and on about "violent nicknames."

I was chair of the credentials committee at a fraternity convention. As chair, I had the responsibility to present the delegates for each chapter. One of the delegates had a hyphenated last name as well as military officer title. Despite practicing it a couple of times before getting behind the microphone, I bungled his introduction. Although I intended to apologize for mispronouncing his name, my exact words were, "sorry about your name."

A friend named Virginia had a teaching assistant in college who pronounced her name "Vagina". I urged her to file a formal complaint / lawsuit and get her college education paid for :p

I was announcing at a diving meet and made it to the last round of dives before pronouncing a diver named "Roland McDonald" as "Ronald McDonald". He just gave me a sad look. Judging by his age, he was probably born just a few months before McDonald's introduced the clown.