What are you old enough to remember?

7829V

The black & white episodes of I DREAM OF JEANNIE

A milk vending machine next to the cigarette vending machine in our apartment building's lobby.

People using phones to talk to each other

Answering machines and landlines (both of which I still have & use)

Pinball arcades

8 mm home movies with no sound

Aquarias & Sugar Sugar battling it out to be the #1 song of 1969

Pool clubs

My parents letting 7 year old me and my 10 year old sister walk 10 blocks to take a public bus then another 6 block walk to our pool club

Being able to walk one block

The Golden Age of Music-- The Disco Era

The first baseball players' strike, which occurred from April 1 to 13, 1972.

Ron Blomberg of the Yankees being the first DH

Single screen theaters with large screens

My father's liquor store in a blue collar section of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, at a spot that is now hipster central and properties sell for millions of dollars (not that I'm bitter about that, of course)

Trying pizza for the first time at a pizzeria (that is still there) next to the barber shop near my father's store

Having sex with anonymous strangers with no concern of catching a deadly disease

The NY Knicks being good

A new show on NBC called Saturday Night Live

Shouting "look out below" when somebody jumped out a window during an explosion scene in a fireworks factory in Thorough Modern Millie when I was 6 and having the whole theater crack up.

Making my parents take us to see Thoroughly Modern Millie again the next week

Edited by samhexum

No zipcodes

no area codes

gas at 25 cents/gallon

streetcars on Woodward Ave/Detroit

home delivery/milk..bread...

my 1st day in kindergarten

TV only on in the afternoon til 11pm

No zip codes ?

Had to go to Wikipedia. Interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_Code?wprov=sfti1

“A ZIP Code is a postal code used by the United States Postal Service (USPS). Introduced in 1963, the basic format consisted of five digits. In 1983, an extended ZIP+4 code was introduced; it included the five digits of the ZIP Code, followed by a hyphen and four digits that designated a more specific location.”

Still seeing a fair number of cars from the early 60s being driven down the street.

When Mr. Hooper died on Sesame Street.

The popularity of roller skating rinks.

The existence of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc.

Sunbathing without the fear of skin cancer.

Ashtrays in doctor's offices.

Most stores being closed on Sundays.

Bench seating in cars.

Every potluck or buffet including some variation of a jelly salad.

No zipcodes

no area codes

gas at 25 cents/gallon

streetcars on Woodward Ave/Detroit

home delivery/milk..bread...

my 1st day in kindergarten

TV only on in the afternoon til 11pm

No area codes.....and phone books! There used to be two listings of my surname in the phone book, my dad and my grandfather....now hundreds and hundreds.

JFK assassination

Bozo the clown

Romper Room

Being able to stay out and play until the street lights came on

My first bike- a stingray

Hot wheels

My dads car, a Plymouth with tail fins

No seat belts

Works ended at 5 dinner at 6

Dial phones with a cord

Penny candy

I had a paper route

All of these....in Los Angeles there was a local clown show on TV “Chuckles the Clown”. I made a brief appearance on it at 4 years old on B&W TV.

My dad was a real estate agent....he was showing a house in his newish Chrysler in the 60’s which had seat belts. He says a boy of the family got into the car, buckled up, and asked my dad “cool, when do we crash?”

• TV with antenna and dial (no remote) to change channels, and the occasional tapping of the side of the TV to get a clearer picture quality.
  • Being able to walk around the subdivision after New Year's Day to search for and recklessly collect fireworks that did not work, opening the contents, placing them in a much larger receptacle hoping for a bigger boom later that night. I am lucky my phalanges are still intact.
  • Don't think it was ever introduced in the US, but I remembered taking pop quizzes in quarter-size sheets of paper. There were also half-size sheet of papers that I could get cross-wise or length-wise.
  • Teachers ranking their students every quarter to 4 decimal places.
  • Freaking out when the film on the typewriter dried out and I had no backup films. Typing over something I had white-out on a typewriter
  • Solving math problems without a calculator or computer
  • Walking across high elevations with strong running water underneath with a bamboo or two bamboo sticks as the 'bridge'

Edited by JoeMendoza

Carrying a dime or two for the payphone (and remembering phone numbers).

Dialing "0" to speak to a live person - Operator for information.

Being able to "floating" a check for two or three days before payday. (Banks were closed on Wednesdays- no ATM's)

The only size of batteries were the big square 6V, C and D sizes - dry cell, no alkaline.

Transistor radios (AM and FM).

To plan an airline trip, there was a thick paper book, like a phone book, that was printed twice a year. It contained all of the airlines, flight numbers, arr/dept times and cities. You looked up here you wanted to go, wrote down all the flight numbers, then called the travel people to book the tickets.

A dedicated island of full service pumps at the gas stations.

Motor oil was packaged in round cardboard cans with metal lids. You needed a steel oil spout to pierce - open the top of the can to pour in out.