Non stop flights Sydney to Rio de Janeiro

sydneyboy
This topic is 1058 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The (gay) CEO of Qantas Alan Joyce has just made a wide-ranging speech on the future of the airline in a post COVID world. One of his plans includes nonstop flights from the east coast of Australia to Rio de Janeiro. One prediction I sincerely hope comes true.

What airplane can carry that much fuel? When I traveled to South Africa from JFK, on a very, very huge jet--one stop was made. The same for San Francisco to Sydney. We made two stops. Hope Mr. Joyce was truly candid in his speech.

Is his speech written somewhere and can be obtained on the net? If so, please cite the source, for I'd be interested in reading it.

The (gay) CEO of Qantas Alan Joyce has just made a wide-ranging speech on the future of the airline in a post COVID world. One of his plans includes nonstop flights from the east coast of Australia to Rio de Janeiro. One prediction I sincerely hope comes true.

What airplane can carry that much fuel? When I traveled to South Africa from JFK, on a very, very huge jet--one stop was made. The same for San Francisco to Sydney. We made two stops. Hope Mr. Joyce was truly candid in his speech.

Is his speech written somewhere and can be obtained on the net? If so, please cite the source, for I'd be interested in reading it.

the new Dreamliner (Boeing 787) is made of lighter material and can go further.

I imagine your flight from JFK to JNB would have most likely been on a A340 and there was a tech stop for refuellng in Africa.

SFO to SYD has been non stop for at least 30 years, since the 747 400 variant started, same as LAX SFO.

the new Dreamliner (Boeing 787) is made of lighter material and can go further.

I imagine your flight from JFK to JNB would have most likely been on a A340 and there was a tech stop for refuellng in Africa.

SFO to SYD has been non stop for at least 30 years, since the 747 400 variant started, same as LAX SFO.

It wasn't a speech, it was an interview with Eurocontrol. I listened to it a couple of days ago, and it's quite interesting. It was live streamed and this recorded version has (or did when I watched it) about 15 minutes of the count down to its start.

Qantas already flew Perth to London with the B787 and Sydney to DFW with A380s, both of which are longer routes than Sydney to Rio, although the great circle route goes into Antarctic latitudes that they may want to avoid. Those flights aren't operating now with our borders largely closed. They are flying London to Darwin repatriation flights which are about the same length as SYD-DFW. (SYD-LAX is also longer than Sydney to Rio.)

Alan Joyce made two particular comments that I thought were notable. The first was about Project Sunrise which is Qantas' plan to fly east coast non-stop to London and JFK. They have done several test flights with B787s carrying minimal loads, and have announced that they will acquire A350-1000s to operate commercially. With the pandemic they have shifted their target date for operations until 2024. Qantas believes that the pandemic will increase the appetite for non-stop flights rather than those with stopovers. Rio was one of the additional cities he mentioned, flagging possible flights from the three east coat cities to Chicago, Paris, Frankfurt and Cape Town as well as Rio. Qantas believes they will have an advantage over other airlines because unlike say BA or American, Qantas would have a viable subfleet of extreme long haul aircraft, whereas Australia and New Zealand would be the only destinations foreign carriers would need such an aircraft.

His other comment was about the A380s which many carriers are retiring. He thinks they will still be profitable for destinations like LHR and LAX. London has expensive slots so having a big aircraft has benefits over two smaller ones. For Los Angeles to Australia flights the time difference and distance make late night departures a better fit for arrivals into Australia, and in the past even with A380s on the main service on the Sydney and Melbourne routes there was often a second flight to one or both, sometimes also an A380.

6am arrival into Australia or anywhere is a pet hate of mine, I might prefer 6pm or later, as you can get to your hotel or home and crash, then you are on local time.

I dislike early morning departures more. QF could do that with a quick turnaround and 10 or 11am departure from LAX. Bear in mind that their LAX departure times are the same year round, so Sydney arrivals would vary according to the respective daylight saving times at each end. As a Canberran who has to connect from one of the arrival cities, evening arrivals can be tricky.

I dislike early morning departures more. QF could do that with a quick turnaround and 10 or 11am departure from LAX. Bear in mind that their LAX departure times are the same year round, so Sydney arrivals would vary according to the respective daylight saving times at each end. As a Canberran who has to connect from one of the arrival cities, evening arrivals can be tricky.

we are all different, i often take an early departure from Syd, the traffic is better if we don’t overnight at the airport hotel, and hitting up outbound Immigraton and Security at 6am normally means no delays. Decent coffee in the lounge with a French Bubbles chaser. SQ at 750 to SIN or GA at 915 to DPS are our regular flights. Arriving there early afternoon allows to time to relax and enjoy

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, westernsyd said:

6am arrival into Australia or anywhere is a pet hate of mine, I might prefer 6pm or later, as you can get to your hotel or home and crash, then you are on local time.

For information purposes (if and when Australia allows Americans and other aliens to enter their country again).

The travel program in Australia known as "Smart Gate" has a similar program in the U.S. called Global Entry.

Prior to the pandemic when tourism was allowed to Australia, I was allowed to use my Global Entry card to process through Australian immigration. 

I was traveling with friends who did not have Global Entry. 

I was able to complete the process in about five minutes with my American Global Entry.  My friends had to spend nearly two hours in line going through the long immigration process in Sydney.  

To those who travel a lot internationally, it might be worth the effort to get Global Entry or Smart Gate, respectively.

The program is helpful whether going to Rio or any other country.  It is just a great time saver to have.  

https://onemileatatime.com/us-global-entry-members-now-eligible-to-use-smartgate-in-australia/#:~:text=Now on a trial basis,out more about SmartGate here.

Edited by coriolis888