Erotic Literature that you've enjoyed?

Yellowrod
This topic is 864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Inspired by a sub theme in another thread I wanted to see what literature has stirred the loins of our members - for me, it was "My Secret Life" which although focused on heterosexual encounters got me going good as a child. (There were a couple of good "crossed sword" moments in that Victorian book too). Also loved "The Happy Hooker" which was mentioned in another thread. "Fanny Hill" was another one. Any others? Think I am going to start reading again.

S-E-C-R-E-T by L. Marie Adeline... I've made it through about 3/4 of the first book in the trilogy.... a bunch of hunky men visit her when she joins a secret club in New Orleans and her fantasies are fulfilled.

Also any of the "gay erotic stories" books that are out there like "Hired Hands" or "Show-Offs" ... a lot of them are anthology.

Having read this as a teen at a boarding school, A Separate Peace hit so many of my adolescent buttons. Longing for someone you can't have, but stunned to become his friend. Losing that someone you love: did you play a part in it? How can you deal with that? But before the bad stuff, the joy of day after day being able to talk to this person, gaze at him, discretely tough him, and love him as a friend. Thoughts of this book still leave a pit in my stomach. It's like the line at the end of the movie, Stand By Me. The writer concludes. "I never had friends like those I had in the summer of 1964. In THAT summer, where so much happened. Jesus, does anybody."

I enjoyed Gordon Merrick's novels; I read a fair amount of "An Idol For Others" in the department store's small book section, while my mother and sisters shopped for clothes. I think "The Great Urge Downward" was the one I liked most.

Gordon Merrick’s books were a very erotic discovery for me in my late teens. I just could not believe that so much hotness could be written, let alone sold in the open. I usually waited for the store to be empty of customers to purchase them, avoiding the clerk’s eyes and hoping he wouldn’t notice how embarrassed I was. I guess you could populate a small planet using all the seed I spilled while reading them ??. Thanks for the memories, @poolboy48220 ?

Full disclosure: I found them on Kindle recently, and was anticipating the thrill when re-reading them. Alas, I must admit I was disappointed: they seemed so bland nowadays ?

Having read this as a teen at a boarding school, A Separate Peace hit so many of my adolescent buttons. Longing for someone you can't have, but stunned to become his friend. Losing that someone you love: did you play a part in it? How can you deal with that? But before the bad stuff, the joy of day after day being able to talk to this person, gaze at him, discretely tough him, and love him as a friend. Thoughts of this book still leave a pit in my stomach. It's like the line at the end of the movie, Stand By Me. The writer concludes. "I never had friends like those I had in the summer of 1964. In THAT summer, where so much happened. Jesus, does anybody."

I first had to read that book back in 8th grade. I reread it again in college and then again in my late 20s and each time I read it I always discover something knew that I didn't realize before. I should read it again now that I'm in my 30s.

Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer, Sexus, Nexus and others turned my crank in college. Took a lit class where these were discussed in detail. First time I heard “normal” people say “fuck” and “cunt” without anyone giggling. So when my English teacher grandmother asked what I was reading, I was prepared with the usual Dickens, Longfellow, etc. “Hey Gran, let me read you a passage where this dude rams a candle up a girl’s twat ... it’s so well-written!”

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

'The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories' by David Levitt & Mark Mitchell 

This is an anthology of stories that, in the words of its co-editor David Leavitt, "illuminate the experience of love between men, explore the nature of homosexual identity, or investigate the kinds of relationships gay men have with each other, with their friends, and with their families.

Contents:

A poem of friendship / D. H. Lawrence -- Arthur Snatchfold / E. M. Forster -- Sally Bowles / C. Isherwood -- Me and the girls / N. Coward -- My father and myself [excerpt] / J. R. Ackerley -- May we borrow your husband? / G. Greene -- Hands / S. Anderson -- The teacher of American business English / J. Kirkup -- Falconer [excerpt] / J. Cheever -- The folded leaf [excerpt] / W. Maxwell -- Servants with torches / D. Windham -- Jimmy / D. Hogan -- Torridge / W. Trevor -- Some of these days / J. Purdy -- A glass of blessings [excerpt] / B. Pym -- Reprise / E. White -- Dramas / E. O'Brien -- Mrs. Tefillin' / L. Kramer -- Spunk / P. Bailey -- The Times as it knows us / A. Barnett -- The princess from Africa / D. Plante -- Adult art / A. Gurganus -- The Cinderella waltz / A. Beattie -- Good with words / S. Greco -- Nothing to ask for / D. McFarland -- Ignorant armies / M. Cunningham -- Run, mourner, run / R. Kenan -- Six fables / B. Cooper -- Perrin and the fallen angel / P. Wells -- My mother's clothes: the school of beauty and shame / R. McCann -- A place I've never been / D. Leavitt -- Notes towards a performance of Jean Racine's tragedy Athalie / N. Bartlett -- Buried treasure / G. Glickman -- Self-portrait in twenty-three rounds / D. Wojnarowicz -- Jump or dive / P. Cameron -- Gentlemen can wash their hands in the gents' / C. Coe -- The dancing lesson / G. Albarelli -- A real doll ; The whiz kids / A. M. Homes.

1751706.jpg

Edited by Danny-Darko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...