It's a Sin - (not to watch this)

JulianLondon
This topic is 1174 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/its-a-sin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2021/01/22/sin-review-russell-t-daviess-aids-crisis-drama-will-break-heart/

Finally, it seems, the time is right for a major British TV drama about how the AIDS crisis hit the early 1980s London gay scene.

We’ve come a long way even since the launch of Russell T Davies Queer As Folk.

In 1989: RuPaul’s Drag Race would have been inconceivable on mainstream television.

It's a Sin has much to celebrate but also much to warn about and mourn, and in the midst of a different kind of virus it offers unexpected resonances.

hf%20the%20sin

Edited by JulianLondon

Unfortunately the link you provided did not permit watching unless one subscribed to the source.

However, in order to comment, I can draw on my own life experience. In early 1980’s I was a gay man living in Europe and travelling annually several times between there and North America. I was aware of the disease that was killing young gay men from 1980 onwards. This was before we knew the HIV link to the disease.

In 1984, an American friend of mine, who lived in the same city in Europe, called me to ask if he could bring his brother who was visiting and who was infected with the virus, to a party I had organized for about 25 of my friends. I replied yes but said I would inform my invitees in advance if they wanted to back out themselves. None did and I was very gratified with their response.

My boyfriend and I did everything we could to make everyone comfortable but I must admit I took precautions such as limiting access to a single bathroom adjacent to the living room and foyer and closed off the other part of the apartment where there were two other bathrooms.

During the party the American guest was the focus of the party. He sat on a sofa surrounded by my friends, who were not reluctant to touch him and embrace him on arrival and departure, as Europeans are wont to do. Afterwards, I did a cleansing of the washroom like things are done today with COVID. Lots of bleach and washing of all surfaces.

He died in 1986, in Los Angeles, where I visited him a week before his passing. By that time we knew how the virus was transmitted. I was happy that we as a gay family group had handled the situation in a humane and mature way.

For those interested (and who didn't check previous thread) - here's a taste of it on YouTube.

For those of us in the UK (and Australia ?) - it was released on 22nd January; and the pace of the show matches the link on YouTube...

For those in the US - it's exactly as @pitman says: HBO Max on 18th Feb.

For those of us who lived through this the first time, it really captures the moment; extremely fast paced, and then you suddenly find yourself uncontrollably sobbing. Brought back memories of many people I loved....