Solo Travel

menaughty
This topic is 817 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I travel solo all the time. I have taken many, many trips solo to Asia. There used to be a company based in Bangkok that organized private tours where it was just me with a driver and/or guide. Lots of great trips over the years all over SE Asia. I've done a couple of solo trips to Sri Lanka where it was just me and my guide/driver who is now a friend.

I travel around Europe solo frequently. Also Australia and Canada. Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea are great too and easy to do on your own. I am so used to it now that I'm not sure I could travel with another person now.

For sure your personality will make a difference. I'm an introvert so I don't meet a lot of people when I travel and it's generally not a problem. I enjoy my own company so I keep to myself mostly. Extroverts who need someone to talk to all the time might struggle a bit.

Those companies still exist (or did pre covid)

I found an amazing tour guide and driver, in Thailand, that took me out to the Railway Market, and then to a long boat canal tour and tour of floating markets, I was able to tailor the tour to suit me, I found it via a google search, gay tour company google

The gay tour company I used for many trips in SE Asia (Purple Dragon) went out of business a couple of years ago. But it may be that there are others out there. I was looking at India gay tours last night for when we can go places again and there are a few options it looks like. Utopia-asia.com is a good resource for that part of the world. I guess when you're traveling with a guide it's not exactly "solo" since you have somebody with you at least part of the time. In places with a real language barrier it's comforting, and it also makes it easier to get out of the main cities easily since you have transportation somebody who can interpret for you. But in big cities I find it's easy enough generally to get around and there's enough English speakers, signs, etc.

I love traveling alone- mostly to big cities. Pre-Covid, I had just started using https://www.misterbandb.com and had some really good experiences with it. Many of the hosts would provide a locals insight of where to hang out- and even sometimes accompanied me. But it still allowed me to have my alone time when I wanted.

I love traveling alone- mostly to big cities. Pre-Covid, I had just started using https://www.misterbandb.com and had some really good experiences with it. Many of the hosts would provide a locals insight of where to hang out- and even sometimes accompanied me. But it still allowed me to have my alone time when I wanted.

I am glad I created this thread, I am loving it. Everyone is so helpful and I am learning a lot.

So, the misterbandb website, is it like airbnb?

I am glad I created this thread, I am loving it. Everyone is so helpful and I am learning a lot.

So, the misterbandb website, is it like airbnb?

Yes it is the gay version of airbnb.

There is certainly some cross posting, some people on airbnb see the advantage of advertising on a gay site, and vice versa.

misterbandb does have a profile for each host, so its more personsable.

I have had success finding great places to stay on Misterbandb but in my home country Australia but overseas as well

I don't literally know the answer, but I don't see why it would not be allowed. Be prepared to have TSA wave it around a bit!

This article I found after I wrote the above may help you:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-TSA-Hates-Your-Vibrator-How-to-safely-fly-2587389.php

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/tips-sex-toys-airport-security

The TSA website says sex toys can be brought in carry-on luggage:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/toys-adult

I don't literally know the answer, but I don't see why it would not be allowed. Be prepared to have TSA wave it around a bit!

This article I found after I wrote the above may help you:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/The-TSA-Hates-Your-Vibrator-How-to-safely-fly-2587389.php

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/tips-sex-toys-airport-security

The TSA website says sex toys can be brought in carry-on luggage:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/toys-adult

The focus seems to be a lot on vibrators. But the dildo I am talking about is just a regular one. No vibration and batteries needed for it. Something like this:

https://shop.condomsense.us/product/CNVELD-BL12053/dr-skin-basic-85-inches-realistic-dildo-beige

The focus seems to be a lot on vibrators. But the dildo I am talking about is just a regular one. No vibration and batteries needed for it. Something like this:

https://shop.condomsense.us/product/CNVELD-BL12053/dr-skin-basic-85-inches-realistic-dildo-beige

Reading the links, the focus on vibrators is because so many women carry them and they have batteries, which must be removed before checking in, The TSA site says simply: Toys (Adult) are okay for carry on or checked luggage,

I love solo travel.

There are also some great gay tour guides in many cities around the world.

I’ve had great experiences with local gay tour guides in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Barcelona and Jerusalem.

Tel Aviv and Jordan....not so much

A quick internet search should turn up what’s available.

Do you’re homework.

Read their online reviews.

And if you don’t feel like your hitting it off with your guide, don’t hesitate to cut the tour short and take off.

The only down side right now is that sitting at the bar is pretty much forbidden world wide.

For some reason sitting at a table alone for dinner is uncomfortable for me, but I’m fine eating alone at the bar.

I love solo travel.

There are also some great gay tour guides in many cities around the world.

I’ve had great experiences with local gay tour guides in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Barcelona and Jerusalem.

Tel Aviv and Jordan....not so much

A quick internet search should turn up what’s available.

Do you’re homework.

Read their online reviews.

And if you don’t feel like your hitting it off with your guide, don’t hesitate to cut the tour short and take off.

The only down side right now is that sitting at the bar is pretty much forbidden world wide.

For some reason sitting at a table alone for dinner is uncomfortable for me, but I’m fine eating alone at the bar.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone of you do Solo trips? If yes, What are some tips you would recommend as a solo traveler?

And are there any companies that organize group tours for within US?

Thanks!

Solo travel is for me, the best way to travel. You can be as outgoing or as introverted as you want—and you can change almost everything about your trip on a whim. Two years ago I was in Europe for a month. I only planned on visiting one friend in Switzerland. The rest of my stay in the continent was going to be what I felt like doing; I crossed off eight new countries (the Baltic states and a few micronations) on top of the usual suspects like France, Germany, and Spain.

Although I'm not the extroverted type, I was happy to strike up a conversation with a random patron at a bar, and many of these friends I still keep in touch with. Many of them have even invited me to their cities whenever travel is possible again and I find myself in Europe.

I check in with my family here in the U.S. every night that I'm traveling and message friends on Facebook as well, because I don't make a habit out of posting photos as things happen. Call me old-fashioned, but I take a few photos, then I put my camera down and enjoy the moment. Only when I come back home do I photo-dump.

Here are my tips, many of them assumes that there's some sense of normalcy back in the world:

• Pack light. In general, don't bring a lot of stuff, but it's a lot more important to do so if you're solo. The fewer things you have to mind, the better. Besides, nobody cares if you repeat an outfit several times.
  • Hostels often have free walking tours (tips appreciated). If you need a way to get your bearings in a new city, these tours are it. Befriend a fellow solo traveler at the tour and ask if they want to hang out.
  • Going to theme parks by yourself is awesome because many in-demand attractions have solo rider lines. I rode Expedition Everest over at Animal Kingdom so many times until I almost threw up.
  • Similarly, museums are excellent places to visit. You can spend an entire day just appreciating the works of art they have on display.
  • Buy a wide-angle lens for your camera so that your selfies don't end up just close-ups of your face. If your phone is your primary camera, get a GorillaPod (or a generic tripod) and a remote shutter instead.
  • Go with your gut instinct before asking a stranger to take your picture. Most of the time, if you are in the same enclosed space or if they're traveling as a family, you're in the clear to ask. You can also hire a freelance photographer (Airbnb Experiences is a great place to find them) for an hour or two. For my preference—which is to just have photos of me at different spots, none of that staged, emote-y pap—I'm fine with going for the cheapest.
  • Bars with live entertainment (piano, jazz, comedy, drag) are great if you want to have a drink but not feel pressured to mingle, because there's somebody commanding the attention of the entire audience.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking to start with Las Vegas whenever things are better. But I wonder if it is safe to walk on the strip alone?

I go to Las Vegas solo quite often. Its a great place for solos. There are online forums/groups like this one about LV solo, dining solo, shows, etc. They also post coinciding travel dates and get-togethers.

It's a great "starter" city for solos. Tons of business travelers. Couples where only one partner goes to gamble while other stays home. A guy gets a steak while his wife is in the spa. No one makes any judgments...

The Strip is safe. Anywhere in daylight and after dark while the crowds are out. There was some craziness last summer, but its diminished and security has tightened.. Like any urban area, things happen 3-4 am, or perhaps in response to foolish behavior; I don't recommend stepping out of the sun, into the shade under one of the escalators, to count a remaining bankroll.

In the better-managed places, safety measures are enforced. Masks, distance between restaurant tables, Plexiglas on gaming tables, fewer machines operating, etc. A few shows are re-opening with very limited attendance.

There are currently some excellent deals in Vegas... luxurious accommodations deeply discounted. Things are starting to pick up.... that pricing will disappear as things recover.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone!!!! So finally I had the courage to do my first solo trip EVER. I went to Las Vegas and it was so much fun and rewarding!!! I want to thank all of you for giving me such great tips and suggestions on solo travel. I am definitely doing this more in the future.

Orlando is next on my list, the only thing that concerns me is that how is going to Disney World Solo will be? Anyone gone to Disney World solo? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Everyone!!!! So finally I had the courage to do my first solo trip EVER. I went to Las Vegas and it was so much fun and rewarding!!! I want to thank all of you for giving me such great tips and suggestions on solo travel. I am definitely doing this more in the future.

Orlando is next on my list, the only thing that concerns me is that how is going to Disney World Solo will be? Anyone gone to Disney World solo? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Glad you had such a great time! Solo travel is so liberating :)

I did DisneyWorld solo about 1994 and had a great time. The rides were fun, but I think I had my best time at Epcot, at the British pub, sitting alone with a beer and people watching; people from all over the world to watch.

While I have never gone to Disney alone, I have separated from companions for varying lengths of time. People watching is always fun. The good thing about Disney is people are usually more willing to chat especially on line so being alone can be a good idea breaker.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone of you do Solo trips? If yes, What are some tips you would recommend as a solo traveler?

And are there any companies that organize group tours for within US?

Thanks!

I have traveled extensively, mostly solo. When I have traveled outside of the USA, I usually have traveled with a small group. During the day I have been with the group partaking in the established itinerary, but at night, I've ventured out alone going to movies, theatre productions, musical concerts, meeting men, food tours, etc.

Rarely have I met anyone from my group to bond; most were married couples or friends or relatives. But that was all right: this left me free to do whatever I desired and wherever I chose to venture.

Do a https://bing.com search for your inquiry. I just went there and noted https://viator.com. Collette Tours is a good source for traveling domestically.

I just returned to this site and had failed to remember that I had previously responded. In addition to what I'd previously written, I like to cite other salient suggestions.

1) Read about the place/s prior to your traveling to them. Discover what interests you and record for future reference.

2) Go to www.gaycities.com, and note what interests you and record specifics.

3) Use travel sites, notably Fodors, Formmers, and others.

4) Consult www.tripadvisor.com. Read the information related to your interests that's written in the various forums on this website.

5) Go with an open mind, and if your travel is international in scope- try not to compare what you bring with what you'll be experiencing in another

land. I've NEVER been that "UGLY AMERICAN."

Right now I cannot remember anything else. If additional, useful information arrives in my brain, I shall return and add it here.

Edited by Axiom2001

I've gone on a Disney World trip (all four parks) solo once. While I would admit that visiting DW is more fun with friends, it's equally enjoyable by yourself. It is for the most part a closed eco-system that you wouldn't have any significant issues. If they've brought back single-rider lines, use it to your heart's content.

I would echo what @poolboy48220 said. My favorite part of the trip was the world showcase at Epcot.

• 2 months later...

Hello Fam,

So a little change of plan. I couldn't do Orlando but I am doing Miami in few weeks. 

I am planning to stay in Hotel Gaythering mostly because the prices are a little less than other hotels at the time I am going. 😅 But I am kinda nervous to stay there (my first gay hotel) plus how do I do an Uber to hotel gaythering from airport? Like would the uber driver be concerned or hesitant to drive there cuz it's a gay hotel 😐

Any other tips for solo travel to Miami are welcomed please. 

Thanks for all the support y'all!

6 hours ago, menaughty said:

Hello Fam,

So a little change of plan. I couldn't do Orlando but I am doing Miami in few weeks. 

I am planning to stay in Hotel Gaythering mostly because the prices are a little less than other hotels at the time I am going. 😅 But I am kinda nervous to stay there (my first gay hotel) plus how do I do an Uber to hotel gaythering from airport? Like would the uber driver be concerned or hesitant to drive there cuz it's a gay hotel 😐

Any other tips for solo travel to Miami are welcomed please. 

Thanks for all the support y'all!

Wouldn't you just put the physical address in the app when you request and that would be that?

🤔

Seems like all the Ubers I order it's the physical address that comes up on the driver's screen. Now, he or she may or may not know, but should he/she be surprised driving in a city like Miami? 

Edited by HotWhiteThirties

• 3 months later...

When you travel solo, you have a great chance to get out of your comfort zone. I was an introvert until I started traveling alone, discovering new people and new cultures. For five years, I raised a good amount of money, and this year I fulfilled my dream of visiting almost 30 countries. And many more countries follow. This week I ended with Germany. I was very impressed by this country, its architecture, the buildings, the castles. I did a neuschwanstein castle tour, at one of the most beautiful castles in the world. It's a must to visit!

Edited by Kohag