Solo Travel

menaughty
This topic is 808 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I love traveling alone and have been doing it for years. The only awkward part I would say is eating dinner in a restaurant alone. Breakfast and lunch is not that big of a deal but for some reason eating dinner alone feels unnatural for me.

Agree totally! When I traveled for work I found that I tended to eat bar food and fast food for supper way too often as eating alone in a nice restaurant seemed weird to me.

Agree totally! When I traveled for work I found that I tended to eat bar food and fast food for supper way too often as eating alone in a nice restaurant seemed weird to me.

Exactly I’m the same way when I travel for work or leisure. I can’t count how many times I’d want to eat at a nice restaurant but not want to look like a weirdo so I end up with shake shack or take out at my hotel. I have walked past a restaurant before and peeped in to see if they have places at the bar and had dinner that way. Especially in DC. I still feel like a weirdo because I have an excuse made up in the event the server asks why I’m eating alone...totally ridiculous I know lmao

Exactly I’m the same way when I travel for work or leisure. I can’t count how many times I’d want to eat at a nice restaurant but not want to look like a weirdo so I end up with shake shack or take out at my hotel. I have walked past a restaurant before and peeped in to see if they have places at the bar and had dinner that way. Especially in DC. I still feel like a weirdo because I have an excuse made up in the event the server asks why I’m eating alone...totally ridiculous I know lmao

I would have thought in DC of all places, folk in a restaurant would be used to people dining alone. I've done it unselfconsciously around Du Pont Circle and other areas in the district. In other cities too. I followed an @Eric Hassan recommendation for a nice place in Philly. That said if I'm alone I'm more inclined to treat dining as functional rather than an occasion. Noodles in a Thai restaurant works perfectly.

I would have thought in DC of all places, folk in a restaurant would be used to people dining alone. I've done it unselfconsciously around Du Pont Circle and other areas in the district. In other cities too. I followed an @Eric Hassan recommendation for a nice place in Philly. That said if I'm alone I'm more inclined to treat dining as functional rather than an occasion. Noodles in a Thai restaurant works perfectly.

Never have had any issue dining alone at any restaurant at any time. I can order whatever I want, even two entrees if desired, and I can eat at my own pace. Granted I am usually finished quicker when I eat alone, probably because I don't find talking to myself all that stimulating ?

You’re right and DC is really the only place I’ve dined alone usually in a bar setting. DC has a bunch of places like this. Also I’ve only noticed that we Americans are self conscious like this. When I lived in Japan and traveled Asia it was common to see people dining out alone.

I've dined alone (unless you count bringing my dog) many many times. I bring a book along and have a relaxing time. I've never had a server ask why I'm dining alone. I used to have a Friday ritual of a few hours alone after work with a book at my local bar; I wasn't the only one who did that. Since getting my dog, a dog-friendly patio was a strong factor in where I eat. There's a local place that's so dog-friendly they have dispensers of poop bags on their patio.

Right now I would take dining alone just to have a good restaurant meal. But I am like the others. I feel odd being alone in a busy restaurant. It doesn't make sense to me, because, really, who cares? It's not as if I am answerable to the other patrons.

Some suggestions:

https://medium.com/the-mission/how-dining-alone-can-transform-your-life-and-the-2-myths-holding-you-back-36b722dfdd51

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/smarter-living/how-to-eat-alone-and-like-it.html

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/11/14/how-to-dine-out-alone-in-dc-hungry-lobbyist/

Right now I would take dining alone just to have a good restaurant meal. But I am like the others. I feel odd being alone in a busy restaurant. It doesn't make sense to me, because, really, who cares? It's not as if I am answerable to the other patrons.

Some suggestions:

https://medium.com/the-mission/how-dining-alone-can-transform-your-life-and-the-2-myths-holding-you-back-36b722dfdd51

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/smarter-living/how-to-eat-alone-and-like-it.html

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/11/14/how-to-dine-out-alone-in-dc-hungry-lobbyist/

Haha I remember reading these articles...I did a bunch of google searches one time psychoanalyzing myself lmao

Many restaurants with a bar serve meals at the bar. I've found that to be a perfect way to dine alone. Often there will be others there solo willing to converse if you are or the server/bartender will be amenable to chatting. Never any pressure to interact, though. And to be clear, these are restaurants where the bar is an adjunct to the main business of dining.

Fort Lauderdale or Key Wet??? I'm planing a one-week to Florida at the end of February and can't decide where to go. I have not been to either place in years and would like input on where I might have more fun. One friend told be that Key West isn't even all that gay anymore. Re: hotels, it was suggested that I stay at The Worthington in FL and The Equator in KW.

All suggestions appreciated.

I would take FTL over KW. I have only been to KW 3 times but it’s a small island. Nice to walk or bike around, you don’t need a rental car unless you want to visit some of the other keys. Not great for finding Rentmen. Nice for taking charter cruises either day trips or a couple of days.

Fort Lauderdale is a big city, with all that larger communities have to offer. Definitely need a car to get around unless you just want to stay at an all inclusive resort and stay put.

Some suggestions:

I was only made to feel self conscious once many moons ago by dining alone. It was a lovely waterside seafood restaurant in Newport, R.I. during the high season in August. You gave your name at the reception and waited till you were called on the loudspeaker. The place was very lively and noisy.

So when my turn came they announced my name and added “party of one”. They could have just said “party of Mr. x”.

The stuffed lobster was worth it though.

I would take FTL over KW. I have only been to KW 3 times but it’s a small island. Nice to walk or bike around, you don’t need a rental car unless you want to visit some of the other keys. Not great for finding Rentmen. Nice for taking charter cruises either day trips or a couple of days.

Fort Lauderdale is a big city, with all that larger communities have to offer. Definitely need a car to get around unless you just want to stay at an all inclusive resort and stay put.

Thanks Luv. I'm off to Fort Lauderdale on March 3 and staying at The Worthington. Can't wait!

I don't mind eating alone, I can do takeout.

But my concern is, who will take my pictures?

I don't know how safe it is to ask someone (in a different city) walking by to ask them to take a picture, what if they runway with my cellphone...lol I might be thinking too much.

Edited by menaughty

I don't mind eating alone, I can do takeout.

But my concern is, who will take my pictures?

I don't know how safe it is to ask someone (in a different city) walking by to ask them to take a picture, what if they runway with my cellphone...lol I might be thinking too much.

Well your gonna have a lot of selfies...it’s inevitable but depending on where you go there are waiters and street vendors who are willing to take a photo for you. And if you want to splurge on a Instagram vacay photo session, look at activity offers on Air Bnb.

Well your gonna have a lot of selfies...it’s inevitable but depending on where you go there are waiters and street vendors who are willing to take a photo for you. And if you want to splurge on a Instagram vacay photo session, look at activity offers on Air Bnb.

Oh my Goodness!! I didn't know you can book experiences from airbnb website. I just checked. Thats awesome! Thanks :)

Has anyone tried doing that...any reviews?

Oh my Goodness!! I didn't know you can book experiences from airbnb website. I just checked. Thats awesome! Thanks :)

Has anyone tried doing that...any reviews?

I did in Paris. I did a food tour and pictures. The food tour was fun but I still had to pay for the food. Met some nice fellow tourists as well. The photos were a good deal but the photographer (who was very nice) tried to upswell me. As long as you stick to your budget you’ll be fine.

I travel solo all the time. I have taken many, many trips solo to Asia. There used to be a company based in Bangkok that organized private tours where it was just me with a driver and/or guide. Lots of great trips over the years all over SE Asia. I've done a couple of solo trips to Sri Lanka where it was just me and my guide/driver who is now a friend.

I travel around Europe solo frequently. Also Australia and Canada. Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea are great too and easy to do on your own. I am so used to it now that I'm not sure I could travel with another person now.

For sure your personality will make a difference. I'm an introvert so I don't meet a lot of people when I travel and it's generally not a problem. I enjoy my own company so I keep to myself mostly. Extroverts who need someone to talk to all the time might struggle a bit.

I travel solo all the time. I have taken many, many trips solo to Asia. There used to be a company based in Bangkok that organized private tours where it was just me with a driver and/or guide. Lots of great trips over the years all over SE Asia. I've done a couple of solo trips to Sri Lanka where it was just me and my guide/driver who is now a friend.

I travel around Europe solo frequently. Also Australia and Canada. Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea are great too and easy to do on your own. I am so used to it now that I'm not sure I could travel with another person now.

For sure your personality will make a difference. I'm an introvert so I don't meet a lot of people when I travel and it's generally not a problem. I enjoy my own company so I keep to myself mostly. Extroverts who need someone to talk to all the time might struggle a bit.

I agree. I lived in Asia as well and traveling and eating out alone was no big deal. However stateside it’s a different story. I think it’s the stigma we Americans put on being “alone”. I even do it to myself which is ridiculous I know lol

However stateside it’s a different story. I think it’s the stigma we Americans put on being “alone”.

Concur.

I've traveled extensively in Asia and Europe alone, and never an issue... even met my husband this way... The only issues traveling alone were business trips in the states.

Before my first solo journey, an older friend who had lived in Paris recommended that at least once in each city I should make sure I'm at least an hour away from my hotel (by public transport) and travel home during rush hour, then create a dinner by going to patisserie for bread, somewhere to get olives/meats, somewhere else for a bottle of wine - and then just have a picnic in the hotel room... he suggested that this would result in very strong positive images of what it was like to live in the city... and each time was a very positive unique experience I've remembered for decades.

A friend who is a (super)extrovert prefers to travel alone because she meets more people that way. When she's traveled with a companion, she naturally tends to spend most of the time with that person and consequently gets to know far fewer fellow travelers & locals.