Solo Travel

menaughty
This topic is 816 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am thinking to start with Las Vegas whenever things are better. But I wonder if it is safe to walk on the strip alone?

I've only ever gone to Vegas alone and I've never had any issues in the many times I've been there. I'm not one to be out really late, but it always seemed pretty safe to me because there's lots of people out and about - though maybe that is different right now due to covid. Some areas further north are a bit sketchier in my experience, but the main part of the strip has always been fine for me.

I have traveled extensively, mostly solo. When I have traveled outside of the USA, I usually have traveled with a small group. During the day I have been with the group partaking in the established itinerary, but at night, I've ventured out alone going to movies, theatre productions, musical concerts, meeting men, food tours, etc.

Rarely have I met anyone from my group to bond, for most were married couples or friends or relatives. But that was all right: this left me free to do whatever I desired and wherever I chose to venture.

Do a https://bing.com search for your inquiry. I just went there and noted https://viator.com. Collette Tours is a good source for traveling domestically.

Edited by Axiom2001

Thanks everyone! All suggestions and tips are welcomed. As this will be my first ever solo travel.

I also recently came across https://www.efultimatebreak.com/ Has anyone tried them?

If the age on your profile is correct, I was the same age when I did my first solo trip too. I went to Ireland for 10 days and enjoyed almost every minute. I chose an English-speaking country to make things easier, and I took buses rather than driving, for the same reason. I did not join a multi-day tour because I tend to be interested in more obscure sights and sites, and can spend hours in a museum wandering at my own pace. I find that day tours to a particular destination works better for me. The only drawback was that I wayyyy overpacked and had heavy, outdated and wheeless suitcases. It didn't help that digital cameras were not available yet, or at least not common (late 90s) so I was packing around two dozen rolls of film everywhere I went. My advice, for what its worth:

1. Invest in luggage that is lightweight, with good wheels and a strong, extendable handles.

2. Unless you are going to be in the middle of nowhere, it isn't necessary to bring absolutely everything you might conceivably need. If you have forgotten something, you can probably buy it where you are going.

3. Make sure all essentials, such as medicine and cell phone charger are packed in your carry-on luggage in case your checked luggage ends up somewhere else.

4. Make sure you also pack some extra underwear and a t-shirt in your carry-on for the same reason.

5. Email yourself a list of your credit card numbers and the card company phone number, as well as bank phone number, in case you lose your wallet.

6. For the same reason I photocopy my Drivers Licence/Social Insurance Card/ Travel Insurance info and keep the copies in a place other than my wallet, in case I lose it.

7. Again for the same reason, don't keep all your money in your wallet - I usually divide it between a number of pockets and my day-to-day small man-purse...lol. Larger sums I leave in my hotel room safe, along with my tablet etc.

8. Get travel insurance for any out of state travel, and make sure the duration is long enough to cover for any delays getting back home. I usually add a couple of days to my insurance to be safe.

9. This may not be necessary for all credit cards, but let the card companies know you'll be travelling and where, just in case your card gets flagged when used away from home. I once had one card put on hold because I forgot to inform that one company I'd be using it in Europe. But that was 10 years ago.

10. If you use your bank card for any transactions, make sure your PIN is only 4 digits. Many places, like Europe, only accept a 4-digit PIN.

11. If going overseas it is nice to learn a few simple phrases in the local language, and appreciated by the people there.

12. Don't wear flashy watches, etc if going some place where street crime is more of a possibility. I also usually keep a day's worth of cash in my front pocket so I don't need to always be opening my wallet.

13. I always keep my wallet in one of my front pockets where it is harder for any pickpocket to target.

These are just some practical points of advice to consider. Enjoy yourself and don't forget to take time between sightseeing to take it all in. ?

I travel solo, for fun, almost every month of the year. For big cities within the US, I search Google Maps for the locations of gay bars and things that interest me (museums, etc.), and try to book a hotel near those things and on a mass transit route (subway or light rail). I try to have an idea of one attraction I would like to do each day, and one gay bar to visit each night. By the 2nd night into each trip, I've usually met someone at the bar who gives me good advice on things to check out that only the locals know.

I have really enjoyed cruises as way to see multiple destinations in a short period of time, then decide which places I would come back to visit again. I found that booking through a Gay travel group such as Adventure bears or Pied Piper Travel, allows me a guarantee that there will be at least 30-100 other gay guys on the ship to meet and have dinner with. Traveling solo on a straight cruise is the pits, but I've enjoyed traveling solo on an all-gay cruise or with a gay group on a straight cruise.

I travel solo, for fun, almost every month of the year. For big cities within the US, I search Google Maps for the locations of gay bars and things that interest me (museums, etc.), and try to book a hotel near those things and on a mass transit route (subway or light rail). I try to have an idea of one attraction I would like to do each day, and one gay bar to visit each night. By the 2nd night into each trip, I've usually met someone at the bar who gives me good advice on things to check out that only the locals know.

I have really enjoyed cruises as way to see multiple destinations in a short period of time, then decide which places I would come back to visit again. I found that booking through a Gay travel group such as Adventure bears or Pied Piper Travel, allows me a guarantee that there will be at least 30-100 other gay guys on the ship to meet and have dinner with. Traveling solo on a straight cruise is the pits, but I've enjoyed traveling solo on an all-gay cruise or with a gay group on a straight cruise.

I've been on two cruises, but found that travelling solo by ship is way more expensive than other travel. I was charged an extra 100% for having the room to myself both times. I know that the cruise line is losing out in terms of alcohol sales etc because I'm solo, but I found I spent much less onboard because I had spent double for the cruise itself. One cruise line quoted me a 175% surcharge and couldn't explain why they were charging almost 3 times the rate they charge someone traveling with a companion. Not sure if gay cruises operate the same way or not.

I've been on two cruises, but found that travelling solo by ship is way more expensive than other travel. I was charged an extra 100% for having the room to myself both times. I know that the cruise line is losing out in terms of alcohol sales etc because I'm solo, but I found I spent much less onboard because I had spent double for the cruise itself. One cruise line quoted me a 175% surcharge and couldn't explain why they were charging almost 3 times the rate they charge someone traveling with a companion. Not sure if gay cruises operate the same way or not.

Hotels do the same thing. It costs twice as much per person to rent a hotel room for 1 than it does for 2 people.

For the cruise, you get screwed paying for food and entertainment for 2 as well.

That's why a small number of cruise lines charge solo travelers only 175% instead of 200% of the per person charge for a room, so you're not paying for food for 2 but you're still paying for the entire stateroom.

Even if a solo traveler pays 200% of the per person cost for the room based on double occupancy, they don't have to pay taxes for the 2nd person, and sometimes don't have to pay gratuity for the 2nd person

Hotels do the same thing. It costs twice as much per person to rent a hotel room for 1 than it does for 2 people.

For the cruise, you get screwed paying for food and entertainment for 2 as well.

That's why a small number of cruise lines charge solo travelers only 175% instead of 200% of the per person charge for a room, so you're not paying for food for 2 but you're still paying for the entire stateroom.

Even if a solo traveler pays 200% of the per person cost for the room based on double occupancy, they don't have to pay taxes for the 2nd person, and sometimes don't have to pay gratuity for the 2nd person

One of the cruises I was on charged me the 100% surcharge, so twice the per person rate, and there was a booking bonus of a certain amount of internet minutes per person and two free excursions per person. Even though I was paying for two people they would only allow me to claim one set of bonuses instead of two. The industry will stick it to singles as much as they can, but some lines do offer lower supplements on less popular itineraries or at the last minute to fill a ship.

I'm planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale in late February after my 2nd covid vaccination on February 13. I was told to stay at The Worthington. Good place? Any suggestions would be appreciated. You can private message me.

I love the Worthington. It's my favorite gay hotel. Because of its larger size and multiple pools and spas, there is always the opportunity to meet new friends. I just got back from a stay at the Worthington last week. Even though the resort was less than half occupied during my stay, I still had a fun time.

I love the Worthington. It's my favorite gay hotel. Because of its larger size and multiple pools and spas, there is always the opportunity to meet new friends. I just got back from a stay at the Worthington last week. Even though the resort was less than half occupied during my stay, I still had a fun time.

Thanks man.

I prefer traveling alone...I can eat when I want...nap....go to bed when I want...I traveled (before covid) all through Europe...I stayed at Axel Hotel in Spain....Air BnB in Paris and London....When in NYC I look for a good rate at a midtown hotel and ask for the highest floor possible for great views..I stayed at Essex House on a high floor with a park view...I called the hotel direct and talked with someone at the front desk....a great rate...225$/night..I stayed 7 days and got one night free...also had a small fridge in my room/no charge...I will talk with almost anyone and met a nice man who worked at Essex House....as soon as I can travel safely (after vaccination) I'm off!

Edited by thickornotatall

I prefer traveling alone...I can eat when I want...nap....go to bed when I want...I traveled (before covid) all through Europe...I stayed at Axel Hotel in Spain....Air BnB in Paris and London....When in NYC I look for a good rate at a midtown hotel and ask for t6he highest floor possible for great views..I stayed at Essex House on a high floor with a park view...I called the hotel direct and talked with someone at the front desk....a great rate...225$/night..I stayed 7 days and got one night free...also had a small fridge in my room/no charge...I will talk with almost anyone and met a nice man who worked at Essex House....as soon as I can travel safely (after vaccination) I'm off!

Do you know if that hotel is affiliated with the Essex in Chicago? I think I stayed there on one of my trips to the Windy City.

I love travelling on my own, and these days with smart phones eating alone is not an issue. I used to take a book with me prior to smart phones.

I organise my trips myself, its amazing what you can learn on line - just study some tour guides so you can maximise the experience.

I did a solo trip to Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi, Hue, Danang, Hoi An,Nha trang, Ho Chi Minh City, the Mekong Delta, up the Mekong into Cambodia, Phenom Penh, Battambang, Siam Reap, and back home via Kuala Lumpur.

Flights, hotels, transfers, train, car, boats , just amazing. Everything worked.

Equally when my husband and I went to Europe we did 45 days in 14 counties a mix of flights, ferry, car hire, trains, luxury hotels, GayBnb, stately Homes, just amazing.

You do need to be organised, but its fun for me to do it.

Travelling alone is awesome , people talk to you because they feel sorry for you, there is no one to tell the tales of your holiday pleasures, if you want to spend some time in a bathhouse, or have an encounter with a local man or a rent man you can,and nil secrets to be shared.

Almost always prefer to travel the world alone, although I occasionally meet friends or family members for portions of the trip. I enjoy eating alone, too. I usually read a book or a guide book. I usually stay in nice Airbnbs so that I get the local vibe: shopping for groceries, etc. Being an extrovert, I rarely have a problem meeting locals, with whom I stay in contact. I’m writing a book about Eastern Europe, so locals are eager to add their input. In 2019, I even taught two cute bartenders in Kaunas, Lithuania how to mix Manhattans. I had a bit of trouble finding Angostura bitters.

Fort Lauderdale or Key Wet??? I'm planing a one-week to Florida at the end of February and can't decide where to go. I have not been to either place in years and would like input on where I might have more fun. One friend told be that Key West isn't even all that gay anymore. Re: hotels, it was suggested that I stay at The Worthington in FL and The Equator in KW.

All suggestions appreciated.