Vaccine anyone?

john1
This topic is 1189 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Once you're vaccinated you have to wait for immunity to develop - reaches its maximum about 10 days after the second shot.

Remember vaccines protect the recipient from illness, but there's no evidence that they reduce the likelihood of carriage of the virus or its transmission to others - hence the expectation that all vaccine recipients continue to wear masks.

I'm one of the fortunate ones to have gotten the vaccine and I'm 2 weeks after my second shot so hopefully am fully immune. However with the spread of the new strains which are more transmissible we all still need to mask up and social distance.

I tolerated the vaccine well; just a little arm soreness after the first shot and surprisingly nothing much after the second unlike the experience of some of my colleagues who experienced some weakness or even fever and pain although all lasted only 24 hrs.

I am also over two weeks out from my second dose of vaccine and therefore considered 95% protected. However, we all, vaccinated or not, need to continue to mask, social distance, wash hands and follow all recommended public health mitigation measures. That includes not socializing with groups indoors, no indoor restaurant dining unless extremely cautious, etc. I had no significant side effects but have many colleagues who ran high fevers for a day but then were fine. I strongly encourage everyone to get vaccinated when it is their turn. I continue to advocate that no one has a massage presently as it is an unnecessary risk to you, the masseur, your family, your friends.

Not yet and not yet. I am hopeful for both, when it's my turn. It's reported that if you get on waiting lists, vac sites end up having a few extra doses at the end of the day which they must use or throw out. So, like a lottery, you might luck into one.

The vaccines offer around 65% protection two weeks after the first shot, and 95% protection a week after the 2nd shot. If you want to be sure you're not in the unlucky 5%, get the Covid-19 antibody (IgG) test to confirm immunity. The official line is to continue wearing a mask in public, but the reason for that is probably that there's no way to identify the vaccinated from the unvaccinated in public. Consider the following (1) there are no known illnesses spread by the respiratory tract for which immunity doesn't protect both the immunized person and those the immunized person contacts (measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc.). In fact, vaccination efforts often advertise helping others (in addition to protecting the vaccinee). Also (2) millions of people have received both doses in the US alone. So far, there are no reports of transmission from people who've been fully vaccinated. Finally, (3) It is well-established by studies referred to in other strings that even those with viral particles in their respiratory system, transmission can't occur once the infected person has antibodies. So while one cannot give absolute guarantees, it's extremely unlikely a fully vaccinated person who's documented he has IgG antibodies to Covid-19 will transmit it to others. I feel comfortable going mask-less when it's not required....

whooping_cough-04.jpg

NRVS-poster-pertussis.jpg

While your health care provider (physician, NP, or PA-C) can order the Covid IgG test, and if he does so, it will usually be covered by insurance, most labs will let you just schedule an appointment and self-order that test if necessary.

Edited by Unicorn