What's the very worst musical you ever saw?

Merboy
This topic is 742 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I never had any desire to see 42nd Street but saw it a few years ago when it was playing at the Royal Drury in London, a few doors from my hotel and noticed Sheena Easton was staring so had to see it and loved the show. Sheena was a bitch after the show she exited the start door and only had about a dozen people wanting autographs (someone had even brought a vinyl cover for her to sign) and she exited with a couple people and refused to talk to anyone.

That version of 42nd Street was, to me, the penultimate version of the show. It was beautiful and perfectly done.

I'm happy they spent the money to film it. It's nice to have it on-demand through BroadwayHD

That version of 42nd Street was, to me, the penultimate version of the show. It was beautiful and perfectly done.

I'm happy they spent the money to film it. It's nice to have it on-demand through BroadwayHD

It was a great show. Only reason I saw it was because Sheena was in it and my expectations were pretty low but it ended up being a great show.

I wish they would have filmed it with Sheena though. That's one thing I don't like about BroadwayHD is they don't have the original cast. With Kinky Boots I wish they would have filmed it with Billy Porter.

It was a great show. Only reason I saw it was because Sheena was in it and my expectations were pretty low but it ended up being a great show.

I wish they would have filmed it with Sheena though. That's one thing I don't like about BroadwayHD is they don't have the original cast.

It's really only missing one cast member and Bonnie Langford was EXCELLENT as Dorothy Brock.

I actually thought Langford found the comedy a lot better than Easton.

Who's Sheena Easton? (Sorry I only know of "Sheena, Queen of the Slut People" from The Golden Girls but I'm assuming that wasn't Sheena Easton.)

You young'ns have no sense of pop culture history

614S5OrDNOL._SY445_.jpg

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/sheena-queen-of-the-jungle-has-died-for-sure-we-think.162254/

Did anyone here see the original cast of A Chorus Line?

Yes, but standing room in 1975

Not the original cast... saw it in London in 1977 where it was not a hit and closed after a short run. (In 1990 I saw the unbelievably overrated Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap and legendary actress Jerry Hall--mother of 4 of Mick Jagger's kids-- in a revival of Bus Stop [with legendary actor Shaun Cassidy], so I've had some disappointing theater experiences across the pond.)

I suppose now you're gonna ask who Shaun Cassidy is. :eek:o_O:eek:

Edited by samhexum

You young'ns have no sense of pop culture history

614S5OrDNOL._SY445_.jpg

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/sheena-queen-of-the-jungle-has-died-for-sure-we-think.162254/

Not the original cast... saw it in London in 1977 where it was not a hit and closed after a short run. (In 1990 I saw the unbelievably overrated Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap and legendary actress Jerry Hall--mother of 4 of Mick Jagger's kids-- in a revival of Bus Stop [with legendary actor Shaun Cassidy], so I've had some disappointing theater experiences across the pond.)

I suppose now you're gonna ask who Shaun Cassidy is. :eek:o_O:eek:

Who's Shaun Cassidy? ;) Nah, I know who that is. It's the teenage boy from The Partridge Family?

What's particularly awful is when you see a production that you know has so much talent involved, and yet the material just doesn't work on any level. I saw a local production some years back of The Great American Trailer Park Musical that was in exactly that situation - great cast, a good production - but OMG, what a lousy lousy show. One of those times when I really wanted my couple of hours back.

And more recently - a year ago around Christmas, Boston's landmark Colonial Theatre got the world premiere production of Dolly Parton's new musical Dolly Parton’s Smoky Mountain Christmas Carol. I went to see it because I had two former students in the ensemble, and I was thrilled to see them in a brand new professional musical with a huge huge name attached. (Parton wasn't IN the show, though.) My students were great - one of them got a huge amount of stage time playing some prominent roles including Young Scrooge, and he was marvelous. But the show itself was "a thing of shreds and patches" - an uneven score, sometimes weak staging, and a really terrible book. What made it worse is that I was not in a great emotional place at the time (dealing with an onset of anxiety that plagued me for about half a year), and I was really looking forward to going to the theatre and lifting my spirits - but it was a tough slog. Had my students not been in the show, I'm sure I would have left at intermission. Luckily, my students made it worth my staying. (I got to talk to them after for a bit, and one of them was telling me about the constant rewrites, etc.) I have to imagine that this show will get further productions down the road (given the twist on the holiday story, Dolly Parton's score, etc) - I really hope they consider lots and lots of rewrites and rethinking first.

Did anyone here see the original cast of A Chorus Line?

I would have been too young to see it, but Patti Lupone's brother had a part and was nominated for a Tony for best supporting actor for Chorus line. I should see if the library has the cast recording of the original cast when I go there this afternoon.

Not a musical I ever wanted to see but would be cool to hear Lupone perform