BIG SKY

samhexum

That was.... Unexpected. The hammer bit was a nice touch.

I liked the lawyer. She was a mouthy, strong broad. Would love to see more of her on the show.

This show is basically turning into an updated, kickass version of Cagney & Lacey

I think it went along at a nice pace, but I was done with the storyline and glad they wrapped it up.......for now !

Looks like there will be a new storyline new season, but will ultimately have some connection to Ronald, whom they may finally catch ?

I was on the fence when the show started, but it sucked me in, and I enjoyed it.

That was.... Unexpected. The hammer bit was a nice touch.

I liked the lawyer. She was a mouthy, strong broad. Would love to see more of her on the show.

This show is basically turning into an updated, kickass version of Cagney & Lacey

I actually didn't plan on watching the show after the first episode, in fact, I posted here that it would be one and done for me. However, I ended up watching the second, then the third, then kept watching. I agree the about the hammer. The lawyer was played by Karin Konoval, who also plays a doctor on the current TNT series "Snowpiercer".

• 1 month later...

I think it went along at a nice pace, but I was done with the storyline and glad they wrapped it up.......for now !

Looks like there will be a new storyline new season, but will ultimately have some connection to Ronald, whom they may finally catch ? I was on the fence when the show started, but it sucked me in, and I enjoyed it.

I actually didn't plan on watching the show after the first episode, in fact, I posted here that it would be one and done for me. However, I ended up watching the second, then the third, then kept watching.

“Big Sky” made headlines in its opening episode last fall by killing off ostensible series star Ryan Phillippe — shot in the head by psycho Montana State Trooper Rick Legarski (John Carroll Lynch), who eventually got his karmic comeuppance.

The ABC drama continues its “shocking twist” tradition in its return Tuesday (April 13) at 9 p.m. with a two-hour episode that picks up where “Big Sky” left off in mid-February.

“There are even more twists and turns than you think there will be — and I’m still shocked by the end of this season,” said Jesse James Keitel, aka Jerrie Kennedy, the sex worker held captive in an underground storage container for most of this season along with sisters Danielle and Grace Sullivan (Natalie Alyn Lind, Jade Pettyjohn).

“Jerrie is still a working girl, but a different kind of working girl — she’s the newest employee of Dewell & Hoyt,” James said, referring to the new private investigation firm headed by Cassie Dewell and Jenny Hoyt (series stars Kylie Bunbury and Katheryn Winnick). “She’s never had a desk job but here she is,” James said of Jerrie. “She’s had quite the journey, from being an aspiring singer to a former truck-stop sex worker to now working in a private investigators’ office.

“At the end of Episode 6, Jenny asked Jerrie to help and she said, ‘I’ll do whatever it takes.’ It’s really nice she’s able to help solve crimes,” Keitel said. “It kept coming up very early on that she’s very aspirational and has big dreams, and that’s allowed me the freedom to inject my own take on her. I think when you take into account what she’s had to do to survive, not just the sex work but … how does she survive, emotionally, when she probably doesn’t have any semblance of a queer community where she is.

“It’s hard to navigating a scary world alone, especially when you’re a marginalized person. I would say Jerrie is arguably one of the toughest characters on ‘Big Sky.'”

Tuesday night’s two-parter opens three months after Ronald’s escape, with Cassie and Jenny taking on new investigations, including a macabre domestic violence case. It also introduces some new characters — including a ranching family, whose patriarch, Horst Kleinsasser, is played by veteran actor Ted Levine (“The Alienist,” “Ray Donovan,” “Monk”).

“They’re a messed-up Montana land-rich family full of a lot of problems and a traumatic past,” James said. “The eldest son is also Jenny’s ex, so there are some complicated storylines coming up. Jenny and Cassie, with the help of Denise (Dedee Pfeiffer) and Jerrie, try to help one of the Kleinsassers — and end up a little deeper than they intended to.”

Ronald’s presence still hangs over the series, Keitel said. “He’s kind of disappeared for a bit but he resurfaces … he’s kind of keeping tabs on us, calling and breathing into the phone. It’s pretty chilling, to say the least.”

Keitel, whose late grandfather, Jerome, was a cousin of actor Harvey Keitel, draws a parallel between Jerrie and her distant relative. “It’s kind of serendipitous. I don’t have a relationship with [Harvey] but he’s made a career out of playing these badass, tough, masculine men. In a lot of ways, I’m also playing a badass — but really subverting what that means in 2021.”

Keitel broke new ground on “Big Sky” by becoming the first nonbinary series regular, in a lead role, on a primetime series.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t expecting to get a lot of hate. I started therapy before the show aired, mentally preparing myself to get ripped apart — and I couldn’t have been more wrong,” Keitel said. The amount of DMs, messages, tweets … even just family members telling me the things their relatives and friends have said.

“I’ve gotten messages from 85-year-old women who are very firm in their beliefs and who have fallen in love with Jerrie, who changed their perception of, not just queer people, but trans people. It’s been kind of shocking to me in many ways.

“I don’t know if I’m necessarily the most optimistic person, but it’s sparked a newfound optimism in me.”

BIG SKY exploded back with a 2 hr season premier, introducing new stories and characters that somehow intersect with its original storyline and the escape of Ronald at the end of the 1st season.

There was a lot to "unpack" in this premier, and I found it overwhelming and a bit too hard to keep track of, especially the situation we now find the fugitive Ronald in....... And then the "horse semen" thing......and the GAY thugs......

And this new dysfunctional family, the Kleinsasser's, are a handful and a hoot......(what's their secret), and does this new marshall, who's working the Ronald case have some involvement with THEM also ?

It was ALL too much for me, but I'm ALL IN and will be watching..... I do enjoy this show.

Edited by jjkrkwood

I'm ALL IN and will be watching..... I do enjoy this show.

Michelle Forbes is always good.

The marshall looks a little like Greg Kinnear.

Horst is an interesting character, and the actor is practically unrecognizable compared to his role as the captain on MONK.

• 3 weeks later...

“Big Sky” exploded the prime-time playbook by killing off ostensible star Ryan Phillippe in its premiere last fall — and it was just getting started.

The grim reaper has dropped his scythe on several lead “Big Sky” characters since then with an alarming regularity on the popular ABC series, renewed for a second season earlier this week.

“We’re putting out a casting call: ‘Come on to “Big Sky” and get killed!'” said Elwood Reid, 54, the showrunner for David E. Kelley’s drama, which unfolds in the Montana mountains and follows private detectives Cassie Dewell (Kylie Bunbury) and Jenny Hoyt (Katheryn Winnick) as they hunt psycho truck driver Ronald Pergman (Brian Geraghty).

“In an artistic sense, it’s fun that nobody’s safe. Also, from a disciplinary standpoint, if anybody causes problems [on the set], it’s like, ‘OK, you can catch a bullet tomorrow and you’re off the show.'”

Reid is kidding, but “Big Sky” has been deadly serious in sending major characters to kingdom come and setting a new bar for unpredictability.

Rick Legarski (John Carroll Lynch), the cheerfully toxic Montana State Trooper who shot Cody Hoyt (Phillippe) in the head to close Episode 1, eventually met his maker. After surviving a bullet to his head courtesy of Cassie, he was bludgeoned to death — in his hospital bed — by his crazed wife, Merilee (Brooke Smith).

At least Carroll enjoyed half a season on “Big Sky”; veteran actor Michael Raymond-James lasted just three episodes before his character, Blake Kleinsasser — oldest son of the dangerously dysfunctional ranching family featured of late — was nearly decapitated by a shovel to the head, courtesy of his brother, John Wayne (Kyle Schmid) and died instantly. You can’t choose your family, right?

“It’s become this thing on ‘Big Sky’ because we’re doing a show that killed off Ryan Phillippe and the audience is like, ‘Holy s–t, anything can happen to anybody on this show,'” said Reid, who’s also a novelist.

“We say, ‘It’s “Big Sky.” You’re gonna die.’ It’s fun; it creates this anxiety with viewers where they think, ‘I don’t want to give my heart to this character because they could end up dead next week’ — and I think that’s what brings people back to the show. Take Legarski, who literally put a bullet in the head of the biggest star on [the show’s promotional] poster. That informed the show’s tone from there and I see no reason to deviate from that.”

Reid said there are two elements to the show’s sudden-death template — hinting that there’s more to come in that department.

“One of the things that allows us to do this is to get big-name actors who don’t want to commit to 14 episodes or three seasons (or more) of a TV series,” he said.

“We can get really cool names, put them through the wringer and then promise we’ll kill them off. When you do that, actors, just like writers, pull out all the stops. The hardest thing for an actor is trying to modulate a TV performance for five or 10 episodes or seven seasons … but when you tell an actor you’re going to kill them off in three episodes, they pull out every trick in the book and make every moment count.”

“[Rick] Legarski was a good example,” he said. “There was no secret we loved writing for him — John Carroll Lynch is an incredible actor — but David [E. Kelley] said, ‘Oh, I f–ked up, I shot him, but he’s not completely dead.’ So we brought him back and did the whole hospital scenario.

“Sometimes you pull the trigger too quickly; the show wasn’t ready to get rid of Legarski. He brought a lot of color and energy to the series. The minute we killed him we were like, ‘Holy s–t, what did we do? We just killed our best player.’ But I think that’s the flip side of the nobody-is-safe coin: We have to make sure we get all of the story out of these characters.”

Reid said the shockers, such as they are, take on different shadings once they become a part of a show’s DNA.

“Yes, the audience will grow numb to it, but what they never grow numb to is letting them invest in a character. It’s like an arcade game or a bad action movie: Here’s a character who has a cup of coffee and gets hit by a bus. That will get old, but what never gets old is for me to pull out my crafty bag of evil tricks, like having Blake’s brother kill him.

“If you’re just putting characters in there to kill them, it’s boring.”

I think the first part of the season may have been stretched out one episode too long, while the Kleinsasser storyline seemed rushed and left me with a 'is that all there is?' feeling. (Cue Peggy Lee...)

Still enjoyed it, though.

I think the first part of the season may have been stretched out one episode too long, while the Kleinsasser storyline seemed rushed and left me with a 'is that all there is?' feeling. (Cue Peggy Lee...)

Still enjoyed it, though.

I wanted to see Horst die, but hey, 3 Dead Kleinsaussers aint bad ! I cant wait to see what happens next week now that Ronald is caught. And what about the psycho girlfriend ? Looks juicy....... Cant decide which show I enjoy more, THIS or Prodigal Son ?

• 4 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, jjkrkwood said:

It looks like the new season will be moving on to a New case, with a likely connection back to Ronald somehow?

I must've reached the 'you kids stay off my lawn!' stage of life... I was totally disinterested in the teens in the 1st episode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

That was.... Unexpected. The hammer bit was a nice touch.  This show is basically turning into an updated, kickass version of Cagney & Lacey

On 2/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, leeper said:

I actually didn't plan on watching the show after the first episode, in fact, I posted here that it would be one and done for me. However, I ended up watching the second, then the third, then kept watching. I agree the about the hammer.

Still completely not enjoying the teen storyline.  And who would have thought Meadow Soprano would wind up a waitress in Montana?  (Did you know she's Lenny Dykstra's daughter in law?)

On 2/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, leeper said:

I actually didn't plan on watching the show after the first episode, in fact, I posted here that it would be one and done for me. However, I ended up watching the second, then the third, then kept watching.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE... let the handsome corrupt cop slaughter all the teens before he's probably killed next episode.

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 6:41 AM, samhexum said:

I must've reached the 'you kids stay off my lawn!' stage of life... I was totally disinterested in the teens in the 1st episode.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:36 PM, samhexum said:

Still completely not enjoying the teen storyline.  And who would have thought Meadow Soprano would wind up a waitress in Montana?  (Did you know she's Lenny Dykstra's daughter in law?)

On 10/24/2021 at 2:21 AM, samhexum said:

PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE... let the handsome corrupt cop slaughter all the teens before he's probably killed next episode.

Thank God we never have to see any of those teens again!  I just wish one (or more) had died a gruesome death.  The Bhullar storyline has grown on me, other than the teens' involvement.

• 1 month later...

Hey, @Unicorn & @marylander1940 :

ABC’s Big Sky has a new sheriff, and his name is… Jensen Ackles.

On Thursday, the network dropped a new teaser for the Season 2 finale featuring the Supernatural alum as the new lawman, cowboy hat and all.

In the episode airing Thursday, May 19 at 10/9c, Ackles will guest-star as Beau Arlen, a “confident and charming good ol’ boy from Texas who steps in as temporary sheriff — and Jenny Hoyt’s new boss — as a favor to his friend, Sheriff Tubb,” per our sister site Deadline.

The season (perhaps series?) finale, titled “Catch a Few Fish,” will present a “struggle between head and heart,” according to the official synopsis.