Expressions your parents used

samhexum

I was very young and naive, helping my dad with whatever odd job he was doing (mostly holding a flashlight or passing tools), and when he succeeded in making a tight fit for something that needed it he would say:

"That's the fit the monkey had when he mounted the cat!"

I had no idea what that meant, but the picture in my mind was of a cat with a saddle on it, and the monkey mounting it and riding around🤪

5 hours ago, Gar1eth said:

Years ago in my mid 20's I was at a reception with hors d'oeuvre being served. There was one appetizer wrapped in bacon.  I thought it was filet mignon.
It was liver. 🤢🤢🤢

Gman

Strangely, I like pate and liver sausage.  I haven't made it in years, but one of my favorite sandwiches used to be liver sausage and cream cheese on a bagel with alfalfa sprouts. I just can't abide the flavor or texture of whole liver. 

"It's raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock"

"Hotter than a Three Peckered Billy Goat"

"Colder than a coalminer's ass in the Klondike".  (I think it's originally, well-digger's ass, and for some reason rural Minnesota shifted it).

Edited by Rod Hagen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My father used to throw a string of German insults at us:  Lausbub, Dumkopf, Schweinhund, Esel!

Dad:  "Quit your crying or I'll give you something to cry about!"

Dad:  "What if everybody did that?"  (Family of eight.)  I'm sure I had a smart-ass response once early on, and maybe even tried a reasoned response once or twice, but quickly learned it was just better not to "do that".

Dad:  If we'd get some sort of cut or bruise on a leg or an arm, and we ran to him crying, he'd offer to amputate just above the injury.

Dad:  "Your mother's such a cheap drunk she could get high from sniffing an empty beer can."  (It really didn't take much before she was, as she would say, "looped".  "Tight" was another word she used to mean tipsy.)

Mom:  "I'll knock you right into the middle of next week."  (Always wondered exactly what this sort of time travel would look/feel like but was way too fearful to risk it. Besides, I'd miss all the intervening TV shows.)

My grandmother:  "Kleine Kinder, kleine Sorgen; grosse Kinder, grosse Sorgen!"  Little kids, little worries; big kids, big worries.  Sometimes she would substitute Schmerzen (pains) for Sorgen.

Things really did happen when Dad got home, and they were not pretty. 

Once we got old enough to go out in the evening by ourselves, we never had a curfew, and my parents never waited up for us.  The rule simply was that we had to tell them where we would be, with whom, and when we would be home.  The very first time I ever got drunk, though, I came home (on time) and, as I sort of stumbled through the living room on my way to the stairs, realized to my shock that for the first time in my life my father was sitting there still up, well past his usual bedtime, reading.  I stood there, slightly dumbfounded, trying to keep from swaying back and forth.  He just smiled, half to himself and half to me and said:  "It looks like you've been a little close to the bottle!"

When my siblings and I were kids, for everyday use, we had a set of thick, nearly unbreakable plastic plates.  When one of my siblings or I was out of reach and my mother was exasperated beyond words but there was a plate within reach, she would grab it and wing it at us.  The bad news was that, if it hit you, it would really hurt.  The good news was that she had terrible aim.  As my brother still reminds her, all we had to do was to stand still and we'd be safe.  And the chips in the kitchen wall supported his testimony.

One of the advantages of having a dachshund was that he could clandestinely maneuver under the table and chairs to quickly grab anything you discreetly snuck below the table in your hand, and a nice portion of what we didn't want to eat disappeared that way.  One of the disadvantages was that even dachshunds don't like lima beans.

1 hour ago, caramelsub said:

Dad would say,  “A bird in hand is worth two in the bush”.
This rings true to me especially when it comes to employment or interviewing for jobs. As well as applying to school programs. Better to be safe than sorry. Keep the job you have or are offered, verse risk losing it to find a better or higher paying one.

Also because it's too uncomfortable and potentially dangerous to have one, let alone two, birds in your bush.

Edited by CuriousByNature

11 minutes ago, dutchal said:

My father used to throw a string of German insults at us:  Lausbub, Dumkopf, Schweinhund, Esel!

Dad:  "Quit your crying or I'll give you something to cry about!"

Dad:  "What if everybody did that?"  (Family of eight.)  I'm sure I had a smart-ass response once early on, and maybe even tried a reasoned response once or twice, but quickly learned it was just better not to "do that".

Dad:  If we'd get some sort of cut or bruise on a leg or an arm, and we ran to him crying, he'd offer to amputate just above the injury.

Dad:  "Your mother's such a cheap drunk she could get high from sniffing an empty beer can."  (It really didn't take much before she was, as she would say, "looped".  "Tight" was another word she used to mean tipsy.)

Mom:  "I'll knock you right into the middle of next week."  (Always wondered exactly what this sort of time travel would look/feel like but was way too fearful to risk it. Besides, I'd miss all the intervening TV shows.)

My grandmother:  "Kleine Kinder, kleine Sorgen; grosse Kinder, grosse Sorgen!"  Little kids, little worries; big kids, big worries.  Sometimes she would substitute Schmerzen (pains) for Sorgen.

Things really did happen when Dad got home, and they were not pretty. 

Once we got old enough to go out in the evening by ourselves, we never had a curfew, and my parents never waited up for us.  The rule simply was that we had to tell them where we would be, with whom, and when we would be home.  The very first time I ever got drunk, though, I came home (on time) and, as I sort of stumbled through the living room on my way to the stairs, realized to my shock that for the first time in my life my father was sitting there still up, well past his usual bedtime, reading.  I stood there, slightly dumbfounded, trying to keep from swaying back and forth.  He just smiled, half to himself and half to me and said:  "It looks like you've been a little close to the bottle!"

When my siblings and I were kids, for everyday use, we had a set of thick, nearly unbreakable plastic plates.  When one of my siblings or I was out of reach and my mother was exasperated beyond words but there was a plate within reach, she would grab it and wing it at us.  The bad news was that, if it hit you, it would really hurt.  The good news was that she had terrible aim.  As my brother still reminds her, all we had to do was to stand still and we'd be safe.  And the chips in the kitchen wall supported his testimony.

One of the advantages of having a dachshund was that he could clandestinely maneuver under the table and chairs to quickly grab anything you discreetly snuck below the table in your hand, and a nice portion of what we didn't want to eat disappeared that way.  One of the disadvantages was that even dachshunds don't like lima beans.

Lima beans were distasteful to my brother as well and he was caught one day trying to feed them to our dog under the dining room table. I'll never forget the sight of them in the palm of his hand as he reluctantly opened his fist.

There were no real consequences though as my parents were softies at heart and lima beans seemed to disappear from the menu.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:59 PM, sync said:

I never favored beef tongue, but I was okay with it until I saw a full beef tongue in the display case at a butcher shop.

After the sight of that full beef tongue, it was a no go.

Beef Tongue Raw – Paulina Market

I just realized that if I go out and buy one, I can finally say that I've gotten some tongue.

• 7 months later...

When my mom saw or tasted something unpleasant, she'd say "FEH!"  That was more than a few steps down from meh.

If you were talking with her and paused at any point leaving the word "So" dangling (as a question 'So?', or for dramatic effect 'So...'), she'd say Sew, Sew, Sew your pants