Expressions your parents used

samhexum

On 11/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, samhexum said:

I need it like a lokh in kop. (Yiddish for hole in [the] head)

I'm getting farblondzhet. [pronounced fuhBLUNjed] (Yiddish for lost)

Whenever I hear Yiddish being spoken, it sounds so similar to German that I always assumed it was a German dialect.  I read recently though that linguists consider it a separate language.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, Luv2play said:

It’s got to be calves liver, the most tender of the cow livers or it’s no good. Try it some time. Make sure the liver is not overdone.

My parents were fanatic about liver.  What they liked was called "baby beef" liver - I don't know if that's any different from calves liver.  They got it at the meat counter at the grocery store and it had to be sliced to order - thin. They always had it dipped in flour and pan-fried in bacon fat, with the bacon alongside.   My sibs and I all hated it - we would choke down just enough to be allowed to leave the dinner table.  I few years ago I bought some liver and tried and it tasted as bad as when I was a kid. 

16 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

My parents were fanatic about liver.  What they liked was called "baby beef" liver - I don't know if that's any different from calves liver.  They got it at the meat counter at the grocery store and it had to be sliced to order - thin. They always had it dipped in flour and pan-fried in bacon fat, with the bacon alongside.   My sibs and I all hated it - we would choke down just enough to be allowed to leave the dinner table.  I few years ago I bought some liver and tried and it tasted as bad as when I was a kid. 

When I told my spouse that we often had beef tongue for dinner, he almost barfed. I loved it. I think my mother bought it because it was one of the cheaper pieces of meat at the butcher (yes, she went to a real butcher shop--I haven't seen one of them in a long time). When I objected to something my mother served, she usually said, "Be thankful  you're not one of the starving children in China" ("starving children in China" was a standard trope in my childhood).

Baby beef liver is not as tender as calves liver. I think the difference in ages of the cattle is about two years, the calves being under a year. Baby beef is next two years and then beef liver, which is the oldest and toughest of the livers. 

With calves liver, you can almost cut it with a fork.

Edited by Luv2play

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Baby beef liver is not as tender as calves liver. I think the difference in ages of the cattle is about two years, the calves being under a year. Baby beef is next two years and then beef liver, which is the oldest and toughest of the livers. 

With calves liver, you can almost cut it with a fork.

That sounds familiar.

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

When I told my spouse that we often had beef tongue for dinner, he almost barfed. I loved it. I think my mother bought it because it was one of the cheaper pieces of meat at the butcher (yes, she went to a real butcher shop--I haven't seen one of them in a long time). When I objected to something my mother served, she usually said, "Be thankful  you're not one of the starving children in China" ("starving children in China" was a standard trope in my childhood).

I never favored beef tongue, but I was okay with it until I saw a full beef tongue in the display case at a butcher shop.

After the sight of that full beef tongue, it was a no go.

Beef Tongue Raw – Paulina Market

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 10:33 AM, Rudynate said:

Years ago in my mid 20's I was at a reception with hors d'oeuvre being served. There was one appetizer wrapped in bacon.  I thought it was filet mignon.
It was liver. 🤢🤢🤢

Gman

If I stood in front of the TV, my father  used to say, "Your father isn't a glassmaker."

(In case that's obscure-the idea was that if he had been, he could install a see through window into my trunk and see the TV through my body-or at least that's what I always thought it meant.)

Gman

2 hours ago, Gar1eth said:

If I stood in front of the TV, my father  used to say, "Your father isn't a glassmaker."

(In case that's obscure-the idea was that if he had been, he could install a see through window into my trunk and see the TV through my body-or at least that's what I always thought it meant.)

Or it could have meant that you're not made of glass (so move your ass) because he made you.