Expressions your parents used

samhexum

Wasting food was not tolerated. If I left a lot of food on my plate, when we assembled for the next meal, there it was. ?

Good Lord. Were you a resident of the "Joan Crawford Home for Children?"

No, I was a resident of the "waste not, want not" ethos.

I should further explain that in most cases I brought it on myself. The recycling of the uneaten food would happen most often when I had helped myself to seconds and overloaded my plate. ?

Not so much an expression, but my father made us call farts “wind drops”. And, if one of us broke wind, my mother would tell us how impolite that was, but my father would chuckle “better out than in”!

Father: "A belch is but a gust of wind that cometh from the heart, but when it takes a downward course, it becomes ... something else!" ;)

I should further explain that in most cases I brought it on myself. The recycling of the uneaten food would happen most often when I had helped myself to seconds and overloaded my plate. ?

First, “sync” love your avatar!

As a life-long vegetarian (I spit out meat from the first time I ever tasted it) dinner time was difficult. My father would make me sit at the table until my meat portion was at least half consumed. Thank goodness that ”Rowdy” our beloved golden retriever was nearby when no one was looking. He ate very well. In desperation my parents took me to a pediatrician thinking I had some weird digestive problem. He told them to leave me alone and make sure I got enough protein. As a young man, I soon discovered several alternate sources in liquid form. ?

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, samhexum said:

I need it like a lokh in kop. (Yiddish for hole in [the] head)

I'm getting farblondzhet. [pronounced fuhBLUNjed] (Yiddish for lost)

Farb und zeit: color and time~ It is almost like putting these two words together… colorful Moments but lost time, like getting drunk~ 😂

I heard this as well except as farblondjet & farblondzen~ My other favorites were/are: Alevei, Gutten Neshama and Davening~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

On 11/23/2020 at 2:37 AM, sync said:

We had this understanding @ home as well… food left unappreciated on the plate was revisited as your next meal… if you didn’t eat it then, the meal would Return again… the longer you put it off, the more difficult the task becomes~
Food exemption for me was milk~ Even my elders knew that milk was my mortal enemy~ 

One time while at my grandparents cabin up-north, I refused to eat my eggs~ My grandfather told me his story about serving spoiled ham and rotten bacon  during the war… children starving in Korea also entered the convo~ My suggestion was to send them my eggs~ That didn’t go well~ 😂🤣😂❤️ I thought it was clever~ 
 Perhaps he misunderstood me and thought I said “send them my legs” because, he worked my ass off for three days running rotten granite up and down the hill by the bucket full~ Suddenly one day, eggs sounded like a delicious idea~ Nom Noms~ 😂🤣😂 My grandfather was an amazing guy really~ Glad I had some time with him~

Edited by Tygerscent

On 11/23/2020 at 11:32 AM, Oliver said:

Father: "A belch is but a gust of wind that cometh from the heart, but when it takes a downward course, it becomes ... something else!" ;)

I had a rather refined English teacher in Junior High who responded to a student's burp one day thusly:  A belch is just a breath that's uttered from the heart and if it went the other way it would have been a fart.

On 11/15/2020 at 5:35 PM, JoeMendoza said:

Growing up, my mother was the typical yeller, caller out of wrongdoings, and punisher - examples of which were kneeling on rock salt, balancing 5 heavy books per hand and on the head while squatting, and chewing down small chilis to name a few. She does not have unique verbal expressions per se, but she always had that mad, crazy-eye stare when she's about to foreshadow my impending demise later that day. I think mom loves me now.

When is Ryan Murphy doing the story of your childhood, and who is going to star in it?

Great Aunt: Pshy Krew, (pshya Kreff)~ It means dogs blood. Also: Ptyk w zaschnietym gownie znow pachnie~ Means: if you pock a stick into dried shit it will begin to stink again~ Heard this in three different languages~ 😂

Also,  Teshlerepez Teridha Kaygirtigez (тешләрегез турында кайгыртыгыз): means, “take care of your teeth” referring to the high expense of dentists and saying the wrong things~

My dads mom: Smart one that boy… he did second grade TWO times~ (followed by raised eye brows)~

😂🤣😂

My grandfather referring to other drivers in Wisconsin as Bone heads & Monkeys~ 

My Mom: Se agapo file mou: I love you my friend~ (to Raison the Greek kitty and when things would go “right”)~
 …and pou sinai o lycos mou: “who is my wolf” when referring to both my wolf companion Nanook as well as her Greek boyfriend~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

"This is coming to a screeching halt, now."

"No ifs ands or buts."

My father used to exclaim "unbelievable" a lot.  And I use the same expression.  I shake my head and say, "Unbelievable" pretty often. 

My mother had status issues over the fact that she wasn't college-educated and often dropped allusions into the conversation to show how well-read she was.  It seemed a little silly since my father only had an 8th-grade education.

A couple of my faves....

"you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

"would you jump off a bridge if everyone else did"

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

"your smiling because your guilty"

"what kind of shit excuse is that?"

"your lying because your sister ratted you out"

"'This ain't a damn restaurant, eat what I make you"

"I can't wait till you turn 18!"

Ah the good old days, I had some one liners for them too, being a teenager was hoot.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Dad, when someone had the refrigerator door opened a bit too long: "What are you doing in there - posing for religious pictures?"

Mom: "Don't be ridiculous" (You NEVER wanted to be ridiculous)

Dad: "I am counting to three. One..."

Mom, to Dad when one of us was obviously lying: "No, let him keep talking. I want to hear how he ends this."

Dad: "I'll knock you into next week."

Mom, to woman who pissed her off: "Listen missy..." ("Missy" could be twenty years older than mom.)

Mom, to man who pissed her off: "Listen buster..."

Dad: "Shut up and answer my question"

Mom: "If you [do/wear/say] that, they'll think you just got off the boat."

Once, when my mother made the "just got off the boat" comment about a shirt my brother was wearing, he retorted "everyone comes over by plane now." Without blinking an eye my mother shot back "If you wore that thing, they would not allow you on the plane. You'd have to come over by boat!" My brother changed his shirt.