Expressions your parents used

samhexum

I can’t believe I’m confessing this. My mom also said, “Wait’ll your father gets home ...” So one time, I did something that really pissed her off. I was probably 10 or 11. She smacked me on my upper arm (not hard at all) and sent me to my room. So for the next hour, I took everything I could find, like an eraser, some scotch tape, the dull side of a knife, to make where she slapped me look as red and “angry” as I could make it. When dad came in to “speak” to me, the first thing he saw was this ungodly red mark on my arm. Of course he got pissed at her. But my older brother had witnessed the whole thing and I finally admitted what I’d done and to save my ass, started laughing which turned into blubbering and a feeble apology. I was a brat.

My mother used to say the same thing but in India or in Africa! Once my sister replied "then send it to them!" and she won herself a slap.. ?

Lol, so funny. I got sassy when my mom said the same thing, "...in Africa." I did mention how the food would just go bad anyway if we ship the leftovers to them. And there goes the belt on my bare ass - who knew that later prepared me to like BDSM ?‍♂️

I grew up in a mostly Italian neighborhood. My mother would curse in Italian lol. Then there was the famous wooden ? spoon, broom with the ladies stocken wrapped around the bristles that we got hit with. My Father had a couple of sayings that to this day I still use with friends I know. He is a real Mamaluke. He forbid us to go on the subway to the Bronx, called it a real shit hole. Sound familiar lol. A line I use with the dancers. Slow Nickels are better than fast dollars. Yes the good old days.

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph!”

I occasionally say that to myself, although with an Irish brogue for some reason.

“He doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.”

Or his elbow

"oof-da!"

Sophia:

Congratulations, Rose Nylund. You are St. Olaf's woman of the year!

Dorothy, Blanche, and Sophia:

oof-da!!

Let’s see

mom’s sayings were

”wait until your father gets home”. Then we knew we were dead

uff da. Or however it’s spelled. We lived in North Dakota at the time

my grandmother would say

”I’ll give you something to cry about “

and

”don’t smell the gas it’ll eat your brain out”

and

”don’t put your hand on the conveyor belt or it’ll get stuck and you’ll scream bloody murder”

dad’s sayings

What in the Sam Hell

You low life Lilly livered gut sucking......

quit your lolly gagging

if you moved any slower you’d be going in reverse

Let’s see

mom’s sayings were

”wait until your father gets home”. Then we knew we were dead

uff da. Or however it’s spelled. We lived in North Dakota at the time

my grandmother would say

”I’ll give you something to cry about “

and

”don’t smell the gas it’ll eat your brain out”

and

”don’t put your hand on the conveyor belt or it’ll get stuck and you’ll scream bloody murder”

dad’s sayings

What in the Sam Hell

You low life Lilly livered gut sucking......

quit your lolly gagging

if you moved any slower you’d be going in reverse

That reminds me of my mother’s expression, slow as molasses in January.

My mother grew up in the era when the word “gay” was used to describe something cheerful or happy. I remember the time she told me “I love your shirt, it looks very gay”. I got quite freaked out by that as she had no idea that I liked guys. I just told her that it really wasn’t appropriate to use the word gay in that context any more.

"Stop making that face or it will freeze that way"

"If your kitchen is dirty, your whole house is dirty!" (something that has stuck w/ me to this day!)

"It doesn't have to be new, it doesn't even have to be nice, but there is no excuse for it not being clean! Soap and water are cheap!" (again, something that has stuck with me 50+ years later!)

When we said we were bored, she'd always say "I've got something for you to do!" (a.k.a. work!) to which we would always stomp out of the room.

When we would constantly ask what was for dinner, she would always say "pig shit and hominy now go outside and play"

And as everyone else commented, we too got the there are starving kids in Africa thing... sometimes followed by "you'll eat what I fix and put on your plate or go hungry!" The fact that many people I know now with young kids will fix several different things for one meal to ensure that all the kids get something they "like" drives me crazy!

Wasting food was not tolerated. If I left a lot of food on my plate, when we assembled for the next meal, there it was. ?

OMG! Sync I had forgotten about that! Whatever I didn't eat the evening before at dinner, was on my breakfast plate the next morning! I have always (even to this day) hated liver and onions. I never ate it, and every morning it ended up on my plate for breakfast … cold.

Wasting food was not tolerated. If I left a lot of food on my plate, when we assembled for the next meal, there it was. ?

Shades of "Mommie Dearest" and the rare steak. :-) We had a few incidents like that at our dinner table, my sister 'accidentally' spilled her milk in Spaghetti-O's, and she still had to stay at the table until she finished it. I wouldn't eat the corned beef roast my mother made when my grandmother visited; it was my night to do the dishes so I threw out the leftovers (a considerable amount) and got into trouble for that.

OMG! Sync I had forgotten about that! Whatever I didn't eat the evening before at dinner, was on my breakfast plate the next morning! I have always (even to this day) hated liver and onions. I never ate it, and every morning it ended up on my plate for breakfast … cold.

I just had to reply as calves liver and onions, along with sautéed mushrooms are a real delicacy which I enjoy from time to time. It’s got to be calves liver, the most tender of the cow livers or it’s no good. Try it some time. Make sure the liver is not overdone. ??