Expressions your parents used

samhexum

These were some of my mom's expressions I remember from when I was a young'n:

1. (About my father) He may not always be right, but he's never wrong.

2. (He/she has) Klass with a capital K.

3. (Instead of damn or fuck when frustrated) Your father's mustache! (he was always clean-shaven)

4. (He's a) Big shot, dot the i. (somebody with an inflated sense of self-worth)

What are some of the expressions you remember your parents using when you were young?

BTW, did you notice that those expressions all seem to be applicable to Trump?

Edited by samhexum

On a cranky toddler

“He’s so tired, he doesn’t know whether to shit or go bowling”

On appetite

“I’m so hungry I could eat the asshole off a skunk!”

On rebellious procrastination

“Right now, young man, before I rip your leg off and beat you over the head with it”

On ignorance

“...doesn’t know shit from Shinola”

“...couldn’t find his own asshole without a bloodhound”

There were more, but often they involved made-up German-Yiddish nonsense or onomatopoeias.

On a cranky toddler

“He’s so tired, he doesn’t know whether to shit or go bowling”

On appetite

“I’m so hungry I could eat the asshole off a skunk!”

So your mother was a delicate, dainty little thing who never cursed, right? Or was she a truck driver?

“...doesn’t know shit from Shinola”

I've always said "When it comes to country music, I don't know shit from Shania."

So your mother was a delicate, dainty little thing who never cursed, right? Or was she a truck driver?

I've always said "When it comes to country music, I don't know shit from Shania."

Mom was a good driver, and in her day would have given a truck a go...

The ones I highlighted here are the ones you wouldn’t hear on the Patty Duke Show... we also heard lots of cleaner pearls of wisdom.

Shania wasn’t even born when I heard that “shit from” expression... but it was rooted in more concrete visual, as Shinola was an early and popular brand of shoe polish.

Growing up, my mother was the typical yeller, caller out of wrongdoings, and punisher - examples of which were kneeling on rock salt, balancing 5 heavy books per hand and on the head while squatting, and chewing down small chilis to name a few. She does not have unique verbal expressions per se, but she always had that mad, crazy-eye stare when she's about to foreshadow my impending demise later that day. I think mom loves me now.

And to describe a muscle Dude:

"He is built like a brick shit house!"

I remember my father's friends and other adult males use that expression to describe a fit well stacked in the chest woman!

For crying out loud ...

"For crying out loud" My brother-in-law is a New Yorker and grew up there during the 50's he uses this expression.

Growing up, my mother was the typical yeller, caller out of wrongdoings, and punisher - examples of which were kneeling on rock salt, balancing 5 heavy books per hand and on the head while squatting, and chewing down small chilis to name a few. She does not have unique verbal expressions per se, but she always had that mad, crazy-eye stare when she's about to foreshadow my impending demise later that day. I think mom loves me now.

I remember your mom's screen debut.