THE ANSWER IS... Alex Trebek

samhexum

I'm finding Anderson kind of bland as a host.

I agree - Anderson has not been impressive - and I like Anderson personally. His remarks after a contestant answers ("That's it" or "We were looking for..") seem almost parodies of Alex's classic responses, even though I realize that the number of host responses are limited (you won't hear "No, that's wrong, stupid"). I think Mike Richards has done the best so far though Aaron Rogers gave it a good effort.

Edited by JayCeeKy

I agree - Anderson has not been impressive - and I like Anderson personally. His remarks after a contestant answers ("That's it" or "We were looking for..") seem almost parodies of Alex's classic responses, even though I realize that the number of host responses are limited (you won't hear "No, that's wrong, stupid"). I think Mike Richards has done the best so far though Aaron Rogers gave it a good effort.

And the weird pauses before he confirms an answer as correct bug me. Yeah, I know it's nit-picking.

Another pet peeve is when they don't give the context behind a difficult answer. I remember Dr. Oz doing this a couple times; a final Jeopardy answer was "This author was so upset by the musical made from her book, that when it was adapted into a stage play, she specified that no Americans be involved". The answer was PL Travers, the author of Mary Poppins; but he never identified the Mary Poppins connection, leaving viewers who hadn't seen "Saving Mr. Banks" to go look up what PL Travers had written. Anderson Cooper did that this week but I can't remember what the answer/question was.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Shoulda been LeVar and Mayim. No white male host can exceed AlexT - so get more new  and diverse faces. Mayim is perfect.
I’m still going to watch at home because I often win.image.gif.b443900d9c3980bf5dd555ff1756870a.gif

Apparently ratings fell off the week Levar Burton hosted the show. One report said hit was down by 850,000 viewers. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.html

Mike Richards has stepped down as the new host and they will go back to guest hosts for the time being. They did tapings with Richards on Thursday and Friday's tapings were cancelled. They film 5 shows a day so he'll be on the first week still. That will be awkward. I'm sure he did a big opening monologue for his first episode talking about how happy he is to be the new host so I'm sure they will have to do some editing out of that. I would go eventually now with Ken Jennings. I read apparently Alex had a private phone call with Ken two days before he died and seems to have been Alex's choice to take over. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.html

Mike Richards has stepped down as the new host and they will go back to guest hosts for the time being. They did tapings with Richards on Thursday and Friday's tapings were cancelled. They film 5 shows a day so he'll be on the first week still. That will be awkward. I'm sure he did a big opening monologue for his first episode talking about how happy he is to be the new host so I'm sure they will have to do some editing out of that. I would go eventually now with Ken Jennings. I read apparently Alex had a private phone call with Ken two days before he died and seems to have been Alex's choice to take over. 

I like Ken Jennings as a contestant and just a smart person in general. Not sure if I like him as the permanent host for the show. Actually I lied...I am sure and no, I don't like him as the permanent host for the show.

I really wanted to like LeVar Burton, but found I didn't care for him much as I hoped I would.  Too cheerful, to try to put a word on it; like he was trying to congratulate little kids when they got the answer right.  I still vote for Aaron Richards, with Mayim Bialik a close second.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I'm sure he did a big opening monologue for his first episode talking about how happy he is to be the new host so I'm sure they will have to do some editing out of that

🙂 On his last day hosting, Joe Buck talked about how much he'd enjoyed his guest host gig, and said "I'm sure they're going to edit this down for broadcast".

Edited by poolboy48220

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As Diana Ross sings, “You can’t hurry love” — or, apparently, a stumped “Jeopardy!” contestant.

A couple of competitors during Monday night’s episode were supremely embarrassed following their mutual loss during Final Jeopardy.

The clue given: “In 2021 at age 95, this singer achieved a Guinness World Record for the oldest person to release an album of new material.”

The correct answer: Tony Bennett, who released “Love for Sale” last year with Lady Gaga, earning him the record-breaking title.

Unfortunately for contestants Karen Johnson, who put down $7,401 of her $15,400 cash, and defending champion Finn Corrigan, who offered up his whole $11,400 pot, the answer was not their guess of Diana Ross — who is, by the way, just 77 years young.

Player Margaret Chipowsky, however, did nail the answer, wagering $9,000 of her $9,800 earnings and bringing her total to $18,800.

An embarrassed Johnson later sent her “deepest apologies” to the legendary R&B singer on Twitter for the gaffe.

“I didn’t really think you were the answer, but was running out of time and had to put something! 😬😭,” she tweeted on Tuesday.

Corrigan, who lost everything with his big bet, echoed Johnson’s defense.

“Me too!” he wrote. “I knew she was not nearly that old but better to write something than nothing. Just glad we’re in this together hahahaha.”

The former Supremes founder did release an album of new music last year, called “Thank You.” She also earned a Guinness World Records title in 1993 with the lofty title “Most Successful Female Singer of All Time” — not too shabby for a woman whose 78th birthday comes this Saturday, March 26.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/24/jeopardy-contestants-apologize-to-diana-ross-for-supreme-age-insult/

5 hours ago, samhexum said:

The former Supremes founder did release an album of new music last year, called “Thank You.” She also earned a Guinness World Records title in 1993 with the lofty title “Most Successful Female Singer of All Time”

41 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Isn't Ella Fitzgerald the most popular female singer of all time? 

What's your point?

23 minutes ago, samhexum said:

What's your point?

Ella performed all over the world and the United States. I saw her in a summer theater where I lived, many times at Carnegie Hall & Lincoln  Center, with Jack Benny outdoors at

Wolf Trap in Virginia. Ella famously forgot the lyrics to Mac The Knife and made up her own lyrics in Berlin