Gay Lifestyle after COVID

orville
This topic is 1267 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

width=382pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/4fde2faceab06bc2ff1f647ae99ff828/tenor.gif?itemid=17553703[/img]

For most of us, Bathhouses and Massage Spas are closed until further notice.

The same applies to Cruises, International Traveling, and the occasional group parties.

What other activities of the Gay Lifestyle do you think will never be the same if/when COVID ends?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

width=382pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/4fde2faceab06bc2ff1f647ae99ff828/tenor.gif?itemid=17553703[/img]

For most of us, Bathhouses and Massage Spas are closed until further notice.

The same applies to Cruises, International Traveling, and the occasional group parties.

What other activities of the Gay Lifestyle do you think will never be the same if/when COVID ends?

I've been wondering about the same thing myself! ??

I think when it ends most people will go pretty much right back to it. There will likely be fewer people who partake for a while either because they simply developed other habits or their local venue closed and a new one didn't spring up yet(and might not, because it sure seems to me the vast majority of bathhouses are older facilities that are cheap, and building one from scratch would likely be prohibitively expensive.

Edited by sniper

Unfortunately unlike HIV Covid-19 is not easily preventable and is highly contagious.

we'll have a vaccine soon (some said by election day) but I think by next year and we'll learn to live with it.

I suspect most of the world will reach herd immunity at some point, before a reliable vaccine is developed.

The vaccine as such will still be in-stock in the case this nasty virus mutates as it's being seen in Northern Europe.

I believe we will get back to a NEW NORMAL but little by little as cases and deaths drop down organically.

What I'm not sure is if COVID will leave a PERMANENT impact in the lifestyle that we loved so much.

This is not me being a downer about the COVID vaccine, but optimistic that we will not need it.

I also like to be realistic and realize that many things will never be the same, such as WFH (Work From Home).

Given that people are taking mitigating measures to avoid getting it, I don't see us getting to herd immunity before the vaccine,but rather that there will be enough already infected that even if the vaccine is only partially effective,THAT will be enough.

I agree to an extent. Reducing the spread is the key. All the mitigation measures help, and that includes social distancing, masks, hand sanitising, cough etiquette. They mean even if someone has it they pass it on to fewer others. That can result in local elimination, but you can't stop the preventative measures then because you never know when it might come back. We will need to keep doing those things until there is a vaccine, and even after that as the vaccine is likely to be, say 50% effective, so we won't be able to see the spread. Even with that, we need to maintain the testing, tracing and isolation for the disease so we can lock down any cases that appear, and that needs to be mandatory. It is here, and as @samhexum noted in another thread isn't and likely can't be in the US.

Diseases die out when they can't spread. Everything we can do to stop them spreading helps. Covid-19 measures all-but snuffed out seasonal flu in Australia this year. This disease is likely to be endemic in the community so we need to reduce its ability to spread and ensure we have the public health measures to detect it and stop it if it does.

we'll have a vaccine soon (some said by election day) but I think by next year and we'll learn to live with it.

We have no idea how protective these Vaccines will be :-( If it's 40% effective will people in risky categories be comfortable hooking up randomly? Should they be? How about 60%?

We have no idea how protective these Vaccines will be :-( If it's 40% effective will people in risky categories be comfortable hooking up randomly? Should they be? How about 60%?

I know... we learned to live with HIV... maybe herd immunity with Covid as posted by @orville will happen.

Possibly a homemade self test will be available just like with HIV before PrEP

Nobody knows. Whatever happens, the vaccine will only be part of the answer, part will still be the social distancing precautions we have been taking (including masks, sanitisers etc). The safety of intimate contact will depend on the effectiveness of the measures everyone takes in society. I hired a guy last night, he comes from an essentially Covid-free city and where I am is too. He told me he won't see anyone from Sydney which has had maybe three or four cases a day for a few months now. I think his caution may be excessive, but who am I to argue.

We don’t know how long immunity lasts once you’ve had it, which is why vaccines are crucial part of “herd immunity” - we’re still receiving, in flu shots today, the antibodies for the 1918 “Spanish Influenza”

Our herd immunity to that virus is laboratory made, not developed through wishing...

Best we can hope for now, since rhetoric about “warp speed vax” designed for political deadlines will delay public trust, is thattherapeutic mgmt and reducing death outcomes. And staying the fuck away from people who might have it.

HIV curtailed gay sexual activity, but if you took a risk, it was within a specific set of behaviors, and it wasn’t automatically an equal risk for your family and co-workers if you did get exposed. Things will level out - assess your risk as if it were your mother’s, because it might be...

I know... we learned to live with HIV... maybe herd immunity with Covid as posted by @orville will happen.

Possibly a homemade self test will be available just like with HIV before PrEP

I think a home COVID-19 test, 15 minute results, similar to over the counter pregnancy tests will become ubiquitous, sooner than later. Probably from Amazon Prime! ??

I think a home COVID-19 test, 15 minute results, similar to over the counter pregnancy tests will become ubiquitous, sooner than later. Probably from Amazon Prime! ??

Why the laughing faces?

230,000 and counting is not funny.

There's already a 45 mins test and HIV home test became available years ago.

Considering all the preexisting conditions Americans have because of our lifestyle achieving herd immunity would cost millions of lives.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/the-death-toll-would-be-enormous-fauci-says-of-herd-immunity-to-coronavirus-in-the-us.html

Bathhouses were in the decline before COVID due to real estate prices in some areas, hook-up apps, etc. COVID accelerated the trend. I don't think we'll see any new ones open up after it's over. In a similar vein, gay bars are declining in number and some will never re-open. It's unlikely that we'll see new ones opening up as younger gays don't frequent them. Have you any twenty-somethings singing show tunes in a piano bar lately?

It will be interesting to see if the cruise ship business ever fully recovers.

Edited by Snbrd

Bathhouses were in the decline before COVID due to real estate prices in some areas, hook-up apps, etc.

True.

gay bars a declining in number and some will never re-open (...) as younger gays don't frequent them.

Also true. I wonder if Karaoke Bars will become new gay venues.

It will be interesting to see if the cruise ship business ever fully recovers.

I think they will recover very slowly.

Why the laughing faces?

230,000 and counting is not funny.

There's already a 45 mins test and HIV home test became available years ago.

Considering all the preexisting conditions Americans have because of our lifestyle achieving herd immunity would cost millions of lives.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/the-death-toll-would-be-enormous-fauci-says-of-herd-immunity-to-coronavirus-in-the-us.html

More complaining about Americans who may not "hit the gym" as often as gays in The District of Columbia.