I'd like an opinion from you kind gents.

carlos45
This topic is 1276 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am a middle-aged, 55-year-old, man, and I was born with mild cerebral palsy, affecting my motor coordination, when I walk. Do you think it's possible for me to learn to drive?? I attempted to do it in my twenties, and failed, compounded by the opinions of some people, stating: "If you're gonna do something, do it right." Needless to say, I developed a bit of anxiety as far as driving was concerned. All opinions, welcomed and considered. Be well.

TBH, I am not too familiar with CP and the nuances of each type, but based on my quick read on google, it does appear that you could. In addition, there appears to be modified vehicle options available. Should probably consult, if you haven't done so already, with your physician, and if available, individuals you know with the same condition that have been driving to glean lessons from how they learned to drive. Hopefully being equipped with the knowledge will help lessen the anxiety you currently experience and will propel you to press forward.

I am a middle-aged, 55-year-old, man, and I was born with mild cerebral palsy, affecting my motor coordination, when I walk. Do you think it's possible for me to learn to drive?? I attempted to do it in my twenties, and failed, compounded by the opinions of some people, stating: "If you're gonna do something, do it right." Needless to say, I developed a bit of anxiety as far as driving was concerned. All opinions, welcomed and considered. Be well.

You might find your answer in this linked article:

https://cerebralpalsynewstoday.com/2017/02/24/driving-independence-cerebral-palsy/

Good luck.

It seems like it's possible but I believe the most important consideration is what the Transportation Authority of your City/State says.

There is 1 company that does modifications in Michigan. I suppose there must be another where you live

https://www.cerebralpalsy.org/information/vehicle-modification

I also found 3 videos that are inspirational:

It seems like it's possible but I believe the most important consideration is what the Transportation Authority of your City/State says.

There is 1 company that does modifications in Michigan. I suppose there must be another where you live

https://www.cerebralpalsy.org/information/vehicle-modification

I also found 3 videos that are inspirational:

Thank you.

My first question would be, what’s your motivation behind your desire to learn how to drive?

Can the semi autonomous vehicles hep you?

Could Uber or Lyft combined with public transportation work for you?

Honestly if where I live had decent public transportation I would never drive.

My first question would be, what’s your motivation behind your desire to learn how to drive?

Can the semi autonomous vehicles hep you?

Could Uber or Lyft combined with public transportation work for you?

Honestly if where I live had decent public transportation I would never drive.

My motivation is that I'd like to leave San Francisco, and move elsewhere. Realistically, I'd probably have to learn to drive if I moved elsewhere.

My motivation is that I'd like to leave San Francisco, and move elsewhere. Realistically, I'd probably have to learn to drive if I moved elsewhere.

Yes this is true for most places these days except for a few cities like NYC, Boston, Washington DC, Down Town Area San Diego, which is manageable without a car but need to know somebody with a car for occasional trips around the county. I hate driving but after I left San Francisco I had to drive again and deal with all the hassles that come with having a car.