Payment Method Madness - Pick Your Poison

MysticMenace
This topic is 1221 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Aside from the good 'ol reliable cash, some clients and providers have found convenience in payment apps, such as Venmo, Zelle, PayPal, ApplePay, and CashApp. Some prefer using one or a combination of these methods, but the preferences seem to vary by provider and/or client. Curious to understand the reasons why some of us prefer certain apps. For me, Zelle already came with my bank applications so would use this if the provider prefers payment through this platform. I pay with ApplePay if the provider also has an apple device; otherwise, I choose Venmo as it seemed to be the quickest and most convenient way for payments to go through. I do not have PayPal (and too lazy to set one up given the number of apps I already have) and I have heard some security concerns regarding CashApp. How about you, what is your payment method of choice?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the good 'ol reliable cash, some clients and providers have found convenience in payment apps, such as Venmo, Zelle, PayPal, ApplePay, and CashApp. Some prefer using one or a combination of these methods, but the preferences seem to vary by provider and/or client. Curious to understand the reasons why some of us prefer certain apps. For me, Zelle already came with my bank applications so would use this if the provider prefers payment through this platform. I pay with ApplePay if the provider also has an apple device; otherwise, I choose Venmo as it seemed to be the quickest and most convenient way for payments to go through. I do not have PayPal (and too lazy to set one up given the number of apps I already have) and I have heard some security concerns regarding CashApp. How about you, what is your payment method of choice?

I value my privacy - I do not trust these payment providers. Too many of them have been hacked or screwed up in some way, shape or form. like @Beancounter I believe cash is king.

tenor.gif

Huh. Maybe I am doing this wrong for the majority of the year then. I used to mainly pay in cash in January and February but have since used payment apps when one of the providers introduced me to Venmo. I may need to rethink this. Thanks.

Welp, I'm meeting with a provider tonight, and per his request, cash was withdrawn. Guess am off to a better start.

From what I've read recently in some threads, with Payment Apps there are more chances of being scammed on either side.

After the client has sent a payment, the provider will reply "I didn't get anything, can you try and send again?"

A client can also say "Ok, I just sent the payment" and leave, while not really sending anything to the provider.

Needless to say, I prefer good old untraceable CA$H than can be counted right there in front of you, so everything is clear for both parts.

Edited by orville

I like cash because as you count out the 100 dollar bills, you appreciate just how much you are forking over and so does the provider. Nothing like seeing a stack of 100’s at breakfast after an overnight. So much more impressive than a few digits on a payment statement, whether credit card or PayPal or Venmo etc. To me it represents hard earned cash, by both sides of the transaction.?

I do have venmo and also square to accept credit cards for those who come without cash, but I prefer cash.

Venmo also has an option where users can publically display everyone they pay money to - I don't really know why people choose to do that. But I had a client the other night who paid me with Venmo, and afterward I noticed that he displays his payments. Most of his Venmo payments were listed for "massage" and I could see all the guys he has goine to over the last few months. ANd now others are going to know that he came to me.

Venmo also has an option where users can publically display everyone they pay money to - I don't really know why people choose to do that. B

I think it might be Venmo’s default when you setup a new account with them? I didn’t know about it, and after making a donation here to this forum a kind fellow user sent me a private message here asking me if I knew my payments were viewable to all. I changed that option (and I’m going to double check it right now!)

I think it might be Venmo’s default when you setup a new account with them? I didn’t know about it, and after making a donation here to this forum a kind fellow user sent me a private message here asking me if I knew my payments were viewable to all. I changed that option (and I’m going to double check it right now!)

I thought there was a way to default your payments to private. A provider compelled me to create a Venmo account (on the spot) and showed me how to set all my transactions to private, which was a good thing, because if someone were to audit my transactions and saw me, they probably would comment that I should really be fit by now with all the payments I have rendered to "training" ;)

Little do they know what small and tight body part I am training. Haha

As part of my initial message to a new hire, when presenting what I want, I also specify that they can choose their form of payment from Venmo, Apple Pay, PayPal or cash.

Almost all of the men I’ve hired in 2020 have asked for an electronic payment, which I square up before the session starts while letting them know I’m prepared with a cash tip.