What are the more gay-friendly nicest areas of San Francisco?

thetruth
This topic is 1229 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

San Francisco is pretty gay-friendly all over. All depends on what your income bracket is and what you can afford there. SF is a condensed tightly packed city that sits on a peninsula, so not so nice areas are in close proximity of those nicer ones. The Castro is nice but not as gay as it used to be years ago. May people were forced to leave the city because of the cost of rent/real-estate, lack of work and rumor has it many went to Portland, OR. Many lesbians have moved to smaller communities in Florida and made up their own communities there. I would suggest doing a scouting trip or two before you decide to move there. It's not the place it used to be. ?

What are the qualities of Hell's Kitchen that you're hoping to find in SF? That could help answer the question.

The gay bars are centered in the Castro or South of Market (SOMA). However neither have the population density and intensity you find in NYC. But if you're looking for a place where you can stroll down the street for gay bars and restaurants, those would be the places. Other neighborhoods have urban intensity, but are less gay-centric. But as @Danny-Darko mentions, the city is pretty much gay-friendly all over.

One word of caution is that in the pandemic, SF is a shell of itself, as are probably a lot of other cities. Bars are still closed unless they are outdoors and serving food, nightclubs are closed, and gyms are at limited capacity with some still closed. So if you do a scouting trip, just be aware that what you see today is not SF fully-functioning. The good news for newcomers is that rents have dropped, as have condo prices. I'm confident things will rebound after the pandemic, but it might take a while.

I lived in NYC East 34th for many years. Later I moved to SF. I was very surprised that SF is not a city like New Yorkers think of cities. Yes, the SF people are nicer, but also snootier. I strongly recommend a scouting trip to find an area where you are most comfortable. It took a while, but I found just north of the ball park to be the best NYCish for me. But, remember, SF does not work like NYC.

SOMA (south of Market Street area) is probably still the best place for you to find the kind of vibe I think you're looking for. Potrero Hill might also be good. You might also like the DuBoce Triangle.

But San Francisco has become very homogenous, compared to the way it used to be. And of course the pandemic has had a profound effect on the way people live here. So nothing is really the same.

San Francisco is very gay friendly though

, I have lived here over 20 years and find The City and surrounding towns very tolerant. The thing to consider when moving to San Francisco is the homeless situation. This is no joke and many of my friends have moved from neighborhoods like the Castro and SOMA because they no longer feel safe. Generally neighborhoods like Pacific Heights and the inner and outer Richmond are safer.

As an older gay man (did I just admit to that) I no longer enjoy living in The Castro and am considering a move to Sonoma, Russian River or Napa. They have a more mature gay population.

Adding to that as someone else mentioned that with C19 bars and restaurants have limited seating, that being said many parkletts have sprung up and the closed of streets in The Castro and other neighborhoods where they have alfresco dining. Bars have teamed up with restaurants which in my opinion is a win win.

With many moving out of the city with C19 prices are coming down. Rent by as much as 30%. It’s still pricey though.

I lived in SF for a while and have since moved to Provincetown, but still love SF and get back there often. I also get to NYC often, and love the 9th Avenue area of HK. If you like the type of mix between residental/commercial and also a mix between new industrial look mixed with old architecture, I agree that SOMA or South Beach areas (Ballpark area) have that. I still feel that vibe in the Castro and also Mission areas too. SF is small enough that you find lots of interesting pockets of gay life throughout the city. Checking out the different neighborhoods is a great idea. I have friends who recently bought a house in the Portola area - San Bruno Ave/Bayshore/Third Avenue area. It is a section that I never previously spent much time in, and now I love that neighborhood. So you may find that some neighborhoods that you might not think about could be very enchanting to you.

I was born, raised and still live in San Francisco. If I were younger and did not have family here I would move in a heart-beat. San Francisco has become a homeless haven - tents everywhere, fifty streets and corrupt politicians.

Before you move, spend a week or two walking around San Francisco, read about city hall politics and open your eyes to what you see!

Edited by sf westcoaster

• 1 month later...

I lived in NYC East 34th for many years. Later I moved to SF. I was very surprised that SF is not a city like New Yorkers think of cities. Yes, the SF people are nicer, but also snootier. I strongly recommend a scouting trip to find an area where you are most comfortable. It took a while, but I found just north of the ball park to be the best NYCish for me. But, remember, SF does not work like NYC.

Nicer but snootier -aren't the two mutually exclusive? I'm the kind of person who blossoms when he travels - when I used to visit SF before I lived here, I found it ridiculously easy to meet people.

I was very curious about San Franciscans - they were all so interesting, exceptional in some way. I always wondered if San Francisco attracted exceptional people, or if ordinary people became exceptional after moving here, and I always wondered what would happen to me if I moved here. What happened for me is that it unlocked my ambition somehow so that I started going after things that I had only wanted in a vague kind of way before.

I was born, raised and still live in San Francisco. If I were younger and did not have family here I would move in a heart-beat. San Francisco has become a homeless haven - tents everywhere, fifty streets and corrupt politicians.

Before you move, spend a week or two walking around San Francisco, read about city hall politics and open your eyes to what you see!

I think the homeless problem has improved somewhat. In the mid-nineties, I found it much worse than it is now. In about 1995, the homeless population was estimated at about 10 thousand. I think present estimates are something like 6 - 7 thousand.