Matthew Shepard Died on This Date

Karl-G
This topic is 1290 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Matthew Shepard died in the early morning of Monday, October 12, 1998, from severe injuries due to a brutal beating and torture in Laramie, WY. He was attending the University of Wyoming, majoring in political science/foreign relations with a minor in languages at the time of his death. He enjoyed soccer, swimming, running, camping, hunting, fishing and snow skiing. He was 21 and he was gay.

My father's family immigrated to the U.S. and settled in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Rock Springs is directly west of Laramie. The family was and many still are very conservative Roman Catholics. My most vivid memory of this tragedy was the family's total anger and indignation that such a thing could happen in Wyoming so close to their homes. Even though many weren't terribly interested in gay issues and rights they were absolutely horrified. To say the least I was somewhat shocked about their reactions but also very pleased.

Thank you for the reminder of this sad day in the history of our nation and of our species. We need to remember such days and learn.

I would sometimes cry thinking of that sweet boy, tied to a fence on a cold Wyoming night, being kicked, punched, and hit with rocks by two men undeserving of that description because of their cowardice and cruelty, and the victim wondering "Why? Why do they hate and hurt me so? What have I done to merit this hate and this savagery?" And I cry even now thinking how long he lingered there, cold and isolated, as the life drained from him, his pain and tears being his only companions. How I would long to have held him, to comfort and console him, to make him know he was loved by so many in spite of being so hated by a few.

The Matthew Shepard Memorial Page at godhatesfags.com - of Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist infamy - was both a disgusting as well as typical expression of the hate of some towards Matthew, towards us, and towards our brothers and sisters.

And I cry, too, because in the years between then and now this kind of hate has not disappeared from the hearts of men, and I do not how to change that. And because of that, I am sometimes comforted knowing there is less of life ahead of me than behind me, because sometimes the world feels too cold and too cruel to sustain the joy I must feel to thrive or even to survive.

But the tears bring release and the release brings resolve and resolve gives birth to hope. VOTE! And change the world.

Sorry - I was on a roll.

Thank you for the reminder of this sad day in the history of our nation and of our species. We need to remember such days and learn.

I would sometimes cry thinking of that sweet boy, tied to a fence on a cold Wyoming night, being kicked, punched, and hit with rocks by two men undeserving of that description because of their cowardice and cruelty, and the victim wondering "Why? Why do they hate and hurt me so? What have I done to merit this hate and this savagery?" And I cry even now thinking how long he lingered there, cold and isolated, as the life drained from him, his pain and tears being his only companions. How I would long to have held him, to comfort and console him, to make him know he was loved by so many in spite of being so hated by a few.

The Matthew Shepard Memorial Page at godhatesfags.com - of Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist infamy - was both a disgusting as well as typical expression of the hate of some towards Matthew, towards us, and towards our brothers and sisters.

And I cry, too, because in the years between then and now this kind of hate has not disappeared from the hearts of men, and I do not how to change that. And because of that, I am sometimes comforted knowing there is less of life ahead of me than behind me, because sometimes the world feels too cold and too cruel to sustain the joy I must feel to thrive or even to survive.

But the tears bring release and the release brings resolve and resolve gives birth to hope. VOTE! And change the world.

Sorry - I was on a roll.

Matthew Shepard's killers were savages, but they did not hate him. They were ultra-violent meth addicts (violence is one of many sad consequences of meth addiction) who were after Shepard because they thought he was holding a large stash of meth (Shepard was a meth dealer).

If anyone wants to know the truth about Matthew Shepard's death, please read The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths about the Murder of Matthew Shepard. Mythology and truth are two different things.

Matthew Shepard's killers were savages, but they did not hate him. They were ultra-violent meth addicts (violence is one of many sad consequences of meth addiction) who were after Shepard because they thought he was holding a large stash of meth (Shepard was a meth dealer).

If anyone wants to know the truth about Matthew Shepard's death, please read The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths about the Murder of Matthew Shepard. Mythology and truth are two different things.

I guess you don't think gays suffer bullying and homophobia or at least most recorded cases are made up or "mythology".... Not the first time you make that insinuation.

https://m4m-forum.org/threads/italy-is-offering-eur700-a-month-to-newcomers-who-settle-in-underpopulated-areas.152205/page-2#post-1958923 (post 26)

"The Book of Matt" received good reviews on Amazon, so it is difficult to completely dismiss the book.

I guess you don't think gays suffer bullying and homophobia or at least most recorded cases are made up or "mythology".... Not the first time you make that insinuation.

https://m4m-forum.org/threads/italy-is-offering-eur700-a-month-to-newcomers-who-settle-in-underpopulated-areas.152205/page-2#post-1958923 (post 26)

I consider each case individually. Many LGBTs still endure bullying & homophobia. On the flip side, many cases of LGBT hate crimes turned out to be hoaxes.

Matthew Shepard's death is tragic. The pain he must have suffered is horrifying. But it wasn't a hate crime. Read The Book of Matt, then tell me if you still think he was the victim of a hate crime.

I prefer truth. You apparently prefer lies.

@BSR I have read many of your posts in the past and respect your opinion but in this case may I say that I think you are allowing that particular book to distract you from the greater truth.

The claim by the book mentioned, that those two men lured him away because they thought he had $10,000 in meth and cash does not hold water. He was a broke-ish college kid at a state school that had fallen on hard times and may have sold and used drugs. The subsequent investigation did not find hard drugs like meth in his autopsy blood work or hair sample so consider that as well.

What we know is that these two men lured away a slightly built, young gay man, tortured him by hitting him repeatedly, kicking him repeatedly, targeted his groin area specifically and left him to die. They did it because they thought they could get away with it. And they probably would have if his friends and the gay community did not become very vocal, demanding justice and capturing the world’s attention.

Surely you can see the hate in that?

Edited by FrankR

I consider each case individually. Many LGBTs still endure bullying & homophobia. On the flip side, many cases of LGBT hate crimes turned out to be hoaxes.

Matthew Shepard's death is tragic. The pain he must have suffered is horrifying. But it wasn't a hate crime. Read The Book of Matt, then tell me if you still think he was the victim of a hate crime.

I prefer truth. You apparently prefer lies.

Have you ever suffered discrimination because of your looks, background or homophobia?

Maybe you portray to others such a strong persona they just don't mess with you and that's what others lack.

@BSR I have read many of your posts in the past and respect your opinion but in this case may I say that I think you are allowing that particular book to distract you from the greater truth.

The claim by the book mentioned, that those two men lured him away because they thought he had $10,000 in meth and cash does not hold water. He was a broke-ish college kid at a state school that had fallen on hard times and may have sold and used drugs. The subsequent investigation did not find hard drugs like meth in his autopsy blood work or hair sample so consider that as well.

What we know is that these two men lured away a slightly built, young gay man, tortured him by hitting him repeatedly, kicking him repeatedly, targeted his groin area specifically and left him to die. They did it because they thought they could get away with it. And they probably would have if his friends and the gay community did not become very vocal, demanding justice and capturing the world’s attention.

Surely you can see the hate in that?

Did you read The Book of Matt? I did. The reporting is pretty solid.

Plenty of dealers don't use the drug they sell. Did the killers' assumption that Shepard had a large meth stash make sense? No, but drug addicts often don't think clearly. Was the attack sickeningly violent and sadistic? Absolutely! Not just violence but ultra-violence is one of the tragic symptoms of meth addiction.

Matthew Shepard's death was a tragedy. No human being should ever endure the torture and agony that Shepard did. But the truth matters. The gay left's martyrization of Shepard crumbles when the truth emerges.

Some of the cases of LGBTQ cases turn

Have you ever suffered discrimination because of your looks, background or homophobia?

That is a loaded question.

You are damned no matter the answer

Did you read The Book of Matt? I did. The reporting is pretty solid.

Plenty of dealers don't use the drug they sell. Did the killers' assumption that Shepard had a large meth stash make sense? No, but drug addicts often don't think clearly. Was the attack sickeningly violent and sadistic? Absolutely! Not just violence but ultra-violence is one of the tragic symptoms of meth addiction.

Matthew Shepard's death was a tragedy. No human being should ever endure the torture and agony that Shepard did. But the truth matters. The gay left's martyrization of Shepard crumbles when the truth emerges.

Must you put on trial hate victims just to feel good about yourself and your political agenda?

I'm surprised you're not blaming him because he didn't have a gun to defend himself and his alleged business.

Must you put on trial hate victims just to feel good about yourself and your political agenda?

I'm surprised you're not blaming him because he didn't have a gun to defend himself and his alleged business.

I prefer the truth. You apparently prefer lies.