Remembering Baseball Great Bob Gibson

WilliamM
This topic is 1299 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was in basic training at and advanced infantry training at Army Base Fort Dix during the 1967 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals.

Bob Gibson pitched the seventh game for The Cardinals. I went on sick call to watch the game in the waiting room in the clinic.

If I remember correctly, I never signed it at the clinic until Gibson was totally in charge.

Bob Gibson died yesterday at age 84. After the 1968 season, major league baseball lower the pitching mound after Bob won most valuable player and the Cy Young Award. His earned run average: a bit over 1 run per 9 innings. Truly amazing in the era of relief pitchers now.

Edited by WilliamM

Back in the day, I was a baseball statistician; I truly loved to consume the numbers. Gibby's 1968 season changed the game forever. ERA for the season 1.12. 34 starts. 28 complete games. 13 of them were shutouts. 5 consecutive shutouts in June 1968, in which he gave up only 21 hits in 45 innings. In the final six weeks of that season, he went to another level: 4 shutouts; 6 games with 10+ Ks.

But the most remarkable stat is that he lost 9 games that year. He lost several one run games. He lost a game in which he surrendered one hit in 8 innings. In September, He lost two complete games on the road, gave up 3 runs, striking out 21. One of those losses was a Gaylord Perry no-hitter.

Absolutely remarkable man, and fierce competitor. Hank Aaron counseled younger players......don't even think of staring at him....you will pay the price for that.

Goodbye Gibby......baseball fans will always remember and appreciate you!