Is Fat Funny?

MiamiLooker
This topic is 1314 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This thread title is not funny! ?

I’m sorry if you or any other reader is offended by the title of this thread. It was certainly not my intention. I’d run across this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totie_Fields):

Actor Van Johnson, who was a friend of Fields, was said to have remarked, "When Totie lost weight, she wasn't funny anymore."

It made me think of some of the contemporary comediennes that have recently lost weight. Rebel Wilson played the character of Fat Amy in the Pitch Perfect film series. She wouldn’t have gotten this part if she’d she weighed 120 lbs. Now that she’s lost a significant amount of weight, will she still be in demand for parts, or will the weight loss be a career killer?

I’m sorry if you or any other reader is offended by the title of this thread. It was certainly not my intention. I’d run across this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totie_Fields):

Actor Van Johnson, who was a friend of Fields, was said to have remarked, "When Totie lost weight, she wasn't funny anymore."

It made me think of some of the contemporary comediennes that have recently lost weight. Rebel Wilson played the character of Fat Amy in the Pitch Perfect film series. She wouldn’t have gotten this part if she’d she weighed 120 lbs. Now that she’s lost a significant amount of weight, will she still be in demand for parts, or will the weight loss be a career killer?

I apologize for my response to your post causing you concern. I was totally jesting. :)

My guess is that Hollywood sees "the fat lady" as something funny.

Can an obese woman pull off the same comedy shtick after losing weight?

Perhaps the proof is in the pudding.

I'm not as familiar with R.W. as I am with Melissa McCarthy who I liked before and after weight loss. Of course she has taken on significant dramatic roles. She's great.

So one might conclude a woman doesn't need a perfect body to succeed in entertainment. On the other hand, being young, thin and pretty remains an advantage, right? That's entertainment!

For many, if not most people, fat is a matter of exercise and diet needing work. But for those with glandular problems or hereditary fat, for example, I doubt it is funny at all. If it is, they are the ones who should be making the jokes, not us. We are all dealt challenges in life and have to accept them if we want to move forward. (This from a guy who has lost 40 pounds!)

But for those with glandular problems or hereditary fat, for example, I doubt it is funny at all. If it is, they are the ones who should be making the jokes, not us.

Do you think our society has evolved to that point yet, or are you just stating how things should be?

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Being fat is totally not funny. When I was 70+ pounds heavier I had all kinds of medical issues from it including metabolic syndrome etc. I devote so much time and effort trying to keep the weight off and it is far from funny. The sad part is that people treat me noticeably better now that I’m thinner and the fashion industry conspiracy makes it easier to buy clothes off the rack that fit. There is totally nothing funny about being ravenously hungry all the time and wanting to eat every fucking bag of potato chips in the supermarket aisle. It’s a horrible thing to have slow metabolism. There is totally nothing funny about the effort it takes for previously overweight people to keep that weight off