COVID 2nd Wave is Here, Wear a Mask!

orville
This topic is 1010 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Certainly other countries responded much more constructively than the US did, but I submit that, by definition, a pandemic is “out of control.”

I note that. However, I was referring to the trend in the number of cases that have been rapidly increasing across countries.

I'm surprised that you take it so lightly despite having the US the largest number of deaths. I suppose you are way too chill, I envy you.

Edited by orville

Huh? Is that a serious statement?

I think you joined the thread late. See post #28.

It is a serious statement because it doesn’t address what I asked. And neither do the articles posted from months ago in post #28. I didn’t ask if young people were a sizable vector. I asked where the data comes from that says how well anyone, let alone younger people, is wearing a mask.

It is a serious statement because it doesn’t address what I asked. And neither do the articles posted from months ago in post #28. I didn’t ask if young people were a sizable vector. I asked where the data comes from that says how well anyone, let alone younger people, is wearing a mask.

Sorry, I can't help you understand the seriousness of the problem.

On one side, it has been sufficiently discussed the importance of wearing a mask to decrease the infection ratio.

And on the other side, there have been numerous references of younger people being the spreaders. I'm not going to re-google the sources for you.

I'm also not going to engage in an argument to discuss the obvious. :)

On one side, it has been sufficiently discussed the importance of wearing a mask to decrease the infection ratio.

And on the other side, there have been numerous references of younger people being the spreaders. I'm not going to re-google the sources for you.

Your argument is serious. It’s just the point is it’s not provable that young people are doing a worse job wearing masks. That’s the flaw. The conclusion is “Since this thing is still spreading and young people are out and about, they must not be wearing masks like they should be.” I’m asking for the data that supports THAT assertion. I have yet to see it. It’s all anecdotal. Like I said, most of the poor mask wearers that I see are actually people who are older.

You don’t need to point out to me how serious it is, condescendingly or not. I understand it just fine. What are you failed to do was follow the logic of the question I posed. You answered a different question altogether.

I note that. However, I was referring to the trend in the number of cases that have been rapidly increasing across countries.

I'm surprised that you take it so lightly despite having the US the largest number of deaths. I suppose you are way too chill, I envy you.

I don’t take it at all lightly. It’s something over which I have no control, other than to keep my husband and me as safe as possible.

You are 100% correct

Most recent data from Canada. I wouldn't think US behaviour is too different.

But they have done a better job of communicating with the target demographic.

Total aside but I have had a crush on Paul Rudd since I saw him in The object of my affection... he’s gotten hotter with age ?

Mask or no mask, all I know is biz is being seriously affected. It was already slow before the pandemic (missing websites, hookup apps etc), this just puts the nail in the coffin. Since I been back home from short tour last Saturday, haven’t had any bookings. Barely even an inquiry. Most weeks, I get one time where I see 1 or 2 in a day, the rest I’m going 5 days not making a dime. And all those dead days make the money go so fast when I get it.

Most days don’t even know what to do or where to turn. Even one of my regular client told me he’s not able to do anything anymore because his IRA has been in decline.

I’m just about ready to leave. Maybe just get out of the Midwest to start. I have no hopes of finding a suitable new job right now. And unemployment had the nerve to say my cut wasn’t due to COVID-19. If I show them all the texts I’ve gotten about “probably need to wait til this virus is over” shit, then maybe they’ll believe.

And unemployment had the nerve to say my cut wasn’t due to COVID-19. If I show them all the texts I’ve gotten about “probably need to wait til this virus is over” shit, then maybe they’ll believe.

And what are you going to say is your employment when you show those texts?

I'm in the NYC area and know a lot of millennials in the city through rugby. I'd say the ast month or so they've been posting their party pics all over instagram, lots of overlapping "bubbles," lots of slipshod mask wearing. I won't be meeting up with them anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

North Dakota governor finally issues mask mandate as COVID crushes state

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum on Friday issued a statewide mask mandate, a reversal for a Republican who has resisted the measure but whose state remains in the crucible of one of the country’s deadliest coronavirus outbreaks.

The order, which took effect on Saturday, requires North Dakotans to cover their faces in stores and in outdoor spaces where distancing is impossible, Burgum said.

No state in the U.S. has logged a higher rate of COVID-19 deaths per capita than North Dakota over the past week, according to The Washington Post. And hospitals in the lightly populated northwestern state have filled up to their limit.

“Right now, the data demands a higher level of mitigation efforts to reverse these dangerous trends, to slow the spread of this virus and to avoid the need for economic shutdowns,” Burgum, 64, said in a brief speech posted to social media.

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, lamented woeful levels of mask use in North Dakota during a visit last month to Bismarck, the state capital.

“Over the last 24 hours as we were here and we were in your grocery stores and in your restaurants and frankly even in your hotels, this is the least use of masks that we have we seen in retail establishments of any place we have been,” Birx told reporters on Oct. 26, according to The Bismarck Tribune. “And we find that deeply unfortunate.”

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum on Friday issued a statewide mask mandate, a reversal for a Republican who has resisted the measure but whose state remains in the crucible of one of the country’s deadliest coronavirus outbreaks.

The order, which took effect on Saturday, requires North Dakotans to cover their faces in stores and in outdoor spaces where distancing is impossible, Burgum said.

No state in the U.S. has logged a higher rate of COVID-19 deaths per capita than North Dakota over the past week, according to The Washington Post. And hospitals in the lightly populated northwestern state have filled up to their limit.

“Right now, the data demands a higher level of mitigation efforts to reverse these dangerous trends, to slow the spread of this virus and to avoid the need for economic shutdowns,” Burgum, 64, said in a brief speech posted to social media.

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, lamented woeful levels of mask use in North Dakota during a visit last month to Bismarck, the state capital.

“Over the last 24 hours as we were here and we were in your grocery stores and in your restaurants and frankly even in your hotels, this is the least use of masks that we have we seen in retail establishments of any place we have been,” Birx told reporters on Oct. 26, according to The Bismarck Tribune. “And we find that deeply unfortunate.”

Finally...

Too little too late!