COVID 2nd Wave is Here, Wear a Mask!

orville
This topic is 1036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Millenial here. I wear my mask. Spoke to my father on the phone yesterday. He’s 62. I asked him if he wears his mask in public. His response? “I guess I could do better.” If you can’t say “yes,” you’re not wearing your mask. He’s also not a millennial.

Yes, behavior varies across population, but if a video signed by New York's government airs with such a statement, you can bet that they ran several statistical analyses and validated with multiple sources before putting Millennials in the spotlight.

Yes, behavior varies across population, but if a video signed by New York's government airs with such a statement, you can bet that they ran several statistical analyses and validated with multiple sources before putting Millennials in the spotlight.

I don’t doubt that. It’s also, undoubtedly, part of their analysis who’s most likely to be swayed by an advertising campaign. I’m not saying millennials on the whole are or aren’t wearing masks. I’m just saying if New York thought it ineffectual to do such a campaign, they also wouldn’t attempt it. That’s surely part of the analysis.

I don’t know anyone around my age who doesn’t wear a mask in public. Granted, my circle is like-minded, but my own experience has been middle aged and older folks are much more outspokenly anti-mask. That’s anecdotal but it is what it is.

... my own experience has been middle aged and older folks are much more outspokenly anti-mask. That’s anecdotal but it is what it is.

Millennials have been a key vector since the start of the pandemic, according to multiple sources:

Edited by orville

The bank I worked at has seen an increase in the number of tellers asking to work the drive up window in those branches without the permanent barriers.

Funny you should mention that. We still have not re-opened all of our offices to clients. The ones that remain open are typically those with drive-though windows and the ones that remain shut are those without them.

Side note - I have never heard this term ... but I like it; very ‘old wild west’!! ?

We just call it bullet resistant glass - not very imaginative. ?

Right? I think the company that originated the idea markets them as "bandit barriers." They are pretty slick - little sliding doors where one can't open if the other is closed, a microphone system so the client and teller can hear one another, and everything. Of course, the bankers are at their desks like wingless, sitting ducks.

Chiming in late to this thread. It's always so easy to blame the millennials, and part of the spread of this pandemic is due to their carelessness. But i blame their parents. The generation that didn't want to spank their kids. This is the result.

Yes, Millennials are often referred as the result of failed parenting but come on,

there's only so much one as a RESPONSIBLE ADULT can justify on upbringing.

At least in the US, I think mask wearing correlates less to age itself and more to either political beliefs or situationally. I think you find college students less likely to wear masks simply because they are away from home for the first time and feel that sense of freedom and invincibility. I am basing this completely on anecdotal news reports, so I could be wrong.

Here in my part of Canberra very few people are wearing masks at the shopping centre (the only 'crowded' place I've been recently), even the staff in the branch of a national supermarket chain that 'encourages' its staff and customers to do so. Understandable, in a territory that has had zero cases in over two months. I haven't noticed a pattern in the age of those wearing them. I wear one, but now carry it on the 300m walk to the shops. Today, I forgot to put it on until I was inside. Metro Melbourne is the only place in the country where there is a mandate, a[though they are encouraged on public transport in Sydney and on flights everywhere. On a tangential issue, when I went to pay cash for a mask I bought a few weeks ago at the chemist shop, their reaction was an almost panicky 'what do we do with that', followed by what seemed to be profound relief when I told them I could pay with a card. I haven't used cash since this started, but from what I've seen, no other merchant seems to have been concerned when others did (public transport doesn't accept cash, you have to use a transit card).

Edited by mike carey

I'm going to a college football game next Saturday night in Dallas and one cannot enter the stadium without a mask on and must sit in a preassigned pod within the stadium. It will be interesting to see what and how the student section (which will be on a large endzone grass hill) responds to the stadium rules. JerryWorld opens tomorrow as well. I hope people behave.

I wear one, but now carry it on the 300m walk to the shops. Today, I forgot to put it on until I was inside. Metro Melbourne is the only place in the country where there is a mandate, a;though they are encouraged on public transport in Sydney and on flights everywhere.

I'm exactly the same. I don't feel like wearing the mask when I leave home (few people or no one walking around the neighbourhood) and during the 5 minutes that takes me to reach the main intersection where I can see everyone wearing a mask so I do it too, and also no businesses will service customers who are not wearing a mask. Same for transportation services, masks are mandatory when using the TTC, our public transit system, and in domestic and international flights.

I think the problem is not about public spaces during day time because you will see everyone behaving. The problem is when people, especially the younger decide that is ok to get together in big groups and hold parties (the famous COVID parties) without wearing masks, getting very close to each other, in closed spaces). Toronto is cracking down on those people and will fine them with up to $10K if discovered because our numbers of cases are ramping up again.

Edited by orville

I've seen all ages guilty of it. If everyone would just wear the f**ing masks properly we'd probably have this under control by now. Drives me nuts in places where people have them below their nose or around their chin, it's not providing any protection at all.

It's too bad the masks didn't protect the wearing from catching it instead of spreading it and I wouldn't care as much.

I've seen all ages guilty of it ... Drives me nuts ... people have them below their nose or around their chin

Unfortunately, it's mostly young people partying, wearing no mask at all.

Same as it's happened in NY, it's happening in Toronto now.

We're back to 1K DAILY NEW CASES as we had in March. The guilty will be fined.

width=573pxhttps://i.postimg.cc/x8gvyWGg/Screen-Shot-2020-09-19-at-3-17-34-PM.png[/img]

Edited by orville

We used to go to the dog park about 6 am. The same crowd was always there. The dogs would mingle and I would pet a lot of them. A friendly time. Then some jerk introduced dog treats and suddenly the camaraderie with the dogs evaporated. They waited for cookie man and spent their time with him. As if that was not enough, he started bringing coffee. That hadn't been a problem as people would momentarily remove their mask and sip, then put it back on. Yet this guy now never wears a mask, and others are now following his example so that they can drink their coffee. Has COVID disappeared with the coffee cups?

We used to go to the dog park about 6 am. The same crowd was always there. The dogs would mingle and I would pet a lot of them. A friendly time. Then some jerk introduced dog treats and suddenly the camaraderie with the dogs evaporated. They waited for cookie man and spent their time with him. As if that was not enough, he started bringing coffee. That hadn't been a problem as people would momentarily remove their mask and sip, then put it back on. Yet this guy now never wears a mask, and others are now following his example so that they can drink their coffee. Has COVID disappeared with the coffee cups?

No, but it has likely disappeared due to the combination of the wind's dilution effect and sunlight's damage to the virus' structure. So I'm not sure I would condemn people for keeping their masks off for a few minutes while they drink their coffee in a park, assuming they're observing social distancing guidelines. If you keep your own mask on in that scenario, your risk of getting infected would be infinitesimally small.

Scottsdale is in its own world, for sure. It reminds me of a desert Newport Beach. I’m there several times a year.

Interesting. My gay step-brother worked as a teacher years ago in Phoenix but chose to live in Scottsdale with his Black lover (He was white). After she died they moved to Ft. Lauderdale and he took an early retirement.

There is a problem that millennials and younger are more likely lately to catch Covid-19.

It’s partly partying, it’s partly that they’re more likely to be financially required to be out working, it’s partly a failure of the scientific communications and even the elected officials. We’re told constantly that for our ages we’re only at a .2-.02% risk, a number so small it’s easy to overlook. The media never talks about the risks to young people aside from deaths.

We grossly under-estimate the size of our social bubble, thinking they’re safe as they only see 6-10 people. They don’t factor in how many people those 6-10 people see.

But I’ve seen many boomers / gen x /older as millennials not wearing a mask, wearing it incorrectly, or denying the risks. We all could do better.