is there a safe way to get a massage right now?

starman05
This topic is 1309 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think going out for a massage was a sad commentary on my need for intimacy.

Ha!

I'd kill to go back to my own life.

Is there a safe way to get a massage right now?

Massages used to be (still were until recently) a way to find intimacy if you were freaked out over AIDS/HIV.

What does "safe" mean to you?

We all know what one must do to be "safe" out in the world in general: wear masks, practice social distance, don't meet up with strangers, avoid indoor spaces because virus particles may be hanging in the air, wash your hands and high-use surfaces regularly, etc. If you can't practice social distance, a mask might be enough to protect you (but that statement presupposes you're not having non-social-distanced strangers hover over you and touch your body head to toe for an hour).

So, if you must get a massage, which happens in a setting that is incompatible with most safety recommendations, then you should at least apply as many of those recommendations as possible, such as wearing a mask the entire time, opening the windows in the massage room so that air circulates, having the massage table and other items you will come into contact with properly disinfected, having the masseur disinfect his hands and wear a mask, disinfecting your hands before and after the massage, etc. Do that, cross your fingers, and maybe you'll be able to say the massage was "safe"...not because the experience was inherently safe, but perhaps simply because you got lucky.

What does "safe" mean to you?

We all know what one must do to be "safe" out in the world in general: wear masks, practice social distance, don't meet up with strangers, avoid indoor spaces because virus particles may be hanging in the air, wash your hands and high-use surfaces regularly, etc. If you can't practice social distance, a mask might be enough to protect you (but that statement presupposes you're not having non-social-distanced strangers hover over you and touch your body head to toe for an hour).

So, if you must get a massage, which happens in a setting that is incompatible with most safety recommendations, then you should at least apply as many of those recommendations as possible, such as wearing a mask the entire time, opening the windows in the massage room so that air circulates, having the massage table and other items you will come into contact with properly disinfected, having the masseur disinfect his hands and wear a mask, disinfecting your hands before and after the massage, etc. Do that, cross your fingers, and maybe you'll be able to say the massage was "safe"...not because the experience was inherently safe, but perhaps simply because you got lucky.

thank you.

If you are in an area where prevalence is very low, and you are wearing masks, and the surfaces are being cleaned, you're relatively safe, because odds are the provider doesn't have it in the first place. But if you're in an area where it's running wild, then I personally would not feel comfortable getting one.

I should note I've had a massage as I am in a state where numbers have been low for a couple of months now and also I trust my provider's level of precaution in avoiding it himself. I wouldn't be going to some 20something who's been heading to Fire Island every weekend...

I used to think going out for a massage was a sad commentary on my need for intimacy.

Ha!

Massages used to be (still were until recently) a way to find intimacy if you were freaked out over AIDS/HIV.

I am kinda desperate too!

https://www.massagechairtechnicians.com/recommendedmassagechairs.php?affid=5HSe6QjV82scTBvXM1kyizw3FnYaDJpq&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_ad_massage_chair_technicians_exact&utm_term=massage_chair&utm_content=massage_chair_technicians_generic&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaignid=653165935&utm_keyword=massage chair&utm_device=c&utm_matchtype=e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_tqM3Prj6wIVkZOzCh05BAB1EAAYASAAEgKOI_D_BwE

This would be safe, right? ?

That's a great, thoughtful question @FrankR. I would love to research it for you. Care to send me one of those chairs so I can conduct a randomized double-blind [insert other sciency words here] safety study and issue a robust report for the benefit of the entire world? ?

This is an interesting topic and one I have thought about a lot. As we all know, everything in life involves risk. Yes, you may suffer great tragedy if you dare to leave the confines of your quarantined home and come into contact with other humans. The only foolproof way of not catching anything is to avoid as much contact with the outside world as possible. Some of us have to work outside the home and are forced to be unsafe in the world, keeping our fingers crossed at all times.

With that said... it may still be safer to visit a masseur than to visit Wal-Mart or pump for gas. At least you only need to worry about one person and, possibly, those he has been in contact with; that is, if he is sloppy in the way he cleans up after the previous client. It is unlikely he is swamped with them during this pandemic and many masseurs, I am guessing, are very selective and screen those they get. If he is serious about his occupation, he is more worried about catching something than you are. His very livelihood depends on him being in perfect health. I am sure he checks his temperature and keeps track of any possible symptoms regardless of whether or not he was able to recently get an official virus test. Remember too that both of you should be thoroughly showered with plenty of soap before and after, washing hands and face a lot. It might be fun if you also showered together and made sure all sensitive parts are mutually taken care of. Wearing masks certainly would help. Think of them like condoms as extra insurance, but... the two of you are consenting adults operating behind closed doors who must decide for yourselves if the situation is safe with or without them.

I would just text the masseur ahead of time and discuss all of your concerns with him. No, it will not be the safest experience, but my guess is that he will try to make it as safe as he can, under the circumstances.

Going to a store, I always feel like I am literally being "in contact" with millions of humans and all of their "residue", many of whom I find far less attractive than a masseur. No, you are not literally touching other people but you are touching a lot of things they are touching and breathing the same air indoors. Nobody stays six feet away from you regardless of signs posted, even though one in four will at least try. Most will wear masks like you, but children will be taking theirs off to talk and cough since they are children. Then you have those angry "Karens" who feel masks are a violation to their civil rights and will take them off when store personnel are not looking, although I have personally seen far more mask-less men than women in public. (YouTube videos of ladies in rage are far more popular online than those of men in rage.) I also seriously doubt that many of your fellow shoppers cleaned themselves thoroughly and checked their temperatures before invading your six foot domain like the masseur.

Don't get me started about gas pumps. Yes, everybody is maintaining a lot of distance from each other and most gas stations are in the great outdoors. However, have you ever questioned how many hands have fondled that handle?

Obviously I am not downgrading the situation and saying a massage is totally 100% safe. Just putting things into perspective.

I hope you don't take this personally, @sniper, but I feel like addressing a few points in your post. I'm doing it not to pass a value judgment on whether you or anyone else should get a massage, but instead to highlight the risks involved so that people are making that decision fully informed and without unexamined rationalizations.

If you are in an area where prevalence is very low

How do we define the "area"? Country by country, state by state, county by county, city by city, neighborhood by neighborhood? Do we interview the masseur about his whereabouts in the past 14 days at that "area" level (e.g., is it risky for him to have left his "low-prevalence" county at any point to step foot in a "high-prevalence" county?)?

How do we define "low prevalence" for purpose of deciding with whom to interact in close quarters?

and you are wearing masks

What kind of mask? For example, would a simple blue surgical mask worn for over an hour, getting moist from your breathing, effectively protect you from virus particles that might be floating in the room if the masseur has been coughing, sneezing, speaking a lot in that room, and there's no good air circulation in there?

Also, do we check what mask the masseur is wearing, that it is still effective (e.g., not overused) and that he is wearing it properly the entire time?

and the surfaces are being cleaned

Do we double-check that the substance being used as disinfectant is effective enough to do the job (e.g., that it's not a cheap mix of mostly water with a bit of alcohol?) Do we supervise the cleaning process?

you're relatively safe, because odds are the provider doesn't have it in the first place

Yes, "relatively" is the key word there. When one compares a massage with, on the one hand, being in absolute no-contact, hermit-like lockdown and, on the other hand, going around licking doorknobs, then a massage is relatively safe.

In terms of the masseur's odds of being sick, well that depends on how one responds to the questions and assumptions noted above and below.

I should note I've had a massage as I am in a state where numbers have been low for a couple of months

Same questions about how to define "low" prevalence and whether "state" is how we should define the area level at which prevalence levels should be looked at.

I trust my provider's level of precaution in avoiding it himself. I wouldn't be going to some 20something who's been heading to Fire Island every weekend

That's a lot of trust. How many one-hour, transactional encounters should we have had with a masseur to trust his answers to the relevant questions above? That aside, should we consider that the very fact this is a transactional encounter can motive masseurs to act in less-than-ideal ways (e.g., not disclose that he did go to Fire Island because he feels well and because he knows that disclosing that he traveled there could mean he looses business he desperately needs to pay rent?).

These are all rhetorical questions to illustrate the issue. I'm not actually asking for answers.

Don't get me started about gas pumps. Yes, everybody is maintaining a lot of distance from each other and most gas stations are in the great outdoors. However, have you ever questioned how many hands have fondled that handle?

I keep a box of disposable gloves in the trunk of my car, and use one every time I fill up. Which is not all that often these days anyway, but still. Especially since I mostly buy gas at Costco, and you'd better believe that the answer to "how many hands have fondled that handle?" is " a lot".

There you go!

Please note that you can use it for erotic massage as well,

so you don't have to worry about AIDS/HIV.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41U%252BS-o1e6L.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This is an interesting topic and one I have thought about a lot. As we all know, everything in life involves risk. Yes, you may suffer great tragedy if you dare to leave the confines of your quarantined home and come into contact with other humans. The only foolproof way of not catching anything is to avoid as much contact with the outside world as possible. Some of us have to work outside the home and are forced to be unsafe in the world, keeping our fingers crossed at all times.

With that said... it may still be safer to visit a masseur than to visit Wal-Mart or pump for gas. At least you only need to worry about one person and, possibly, those he has been in contact with; that is, if he is sloppy in the way he cleans up after the previous client. It is unlikely he is swamped with them during this pandemic and many masseurs, I am guessing, are very selective and screen those they get. If he is serious about his occupation, he is more worried about catching something than you are. His very livelihood depends on him being in perfect health. I am sure he checks his temperature and keeps track of any possible symptoms regardless of whether or not he was able to recently get an official virus test. Remember too that both of you should be thoroughly showered with plenty of soap before and after, washing hands and face a lot. It might be fun if you also showered together and made sure all sensitive parts are mutually taken care of. Wearing masks certainly would help. Think of them like condoms as extra insurance, but... the two of you are consenting adults operating behind closed doors who must decide for yourselves if the situation is safe with or without them.

I would just text the masseur ahead of time and discuss all of your concerns with him. No, it will not be the safest experience, but my guess is that he will try to make it as safe as he can, under the circumstances.

Going to a store, I always feel like I am literally being "in contact" with millions of humans and all of their "residue", many of whom I find far less attractive than a masseur. No, you are not literally touching other people but you are touching a lot of things they are touching and breathing the same air indoors. Nobody stays six feet away from you regardless of signs posted, even though one in four will at least try. Most will wear masks like you, but children will be taking theirs off to talk and cough since they are children. Then you have those angry "Karens" who feel masks are a violation to their civil rights and will take them off when store personnel are not looking, although I have personally seen far more mask-less men than women in public. (YouTube videos of ladies in rage are far more popular online than those of men in rage.) I also seriously doubt that many of your fellow shoppers cleaned themselves thoroughly and checked their temperatures before invading your six foot domain like the masseur.

Obviously I am not downgrading the situation and saying a massage is totally 100% safe. Just putting things into perspective.

I am a licensed massage therapist and am trying to find my way back into my massage practice. This is a very good post and that is exactly the way I am thinking.

Right now I am getting tested every week and don't see more than three clients a week. I am very selective with whom I work. They are retired, don't have to expose to others more than necessary.

The ultimate question one has to answer for oneself, though, is whether taking a risk to get a massage is justified. Some risks are avoidable, some are not. So I'm not sure that the best way of answering that question is by comparing the risk you decide to assume by getting a massage to the risks you must assume to survive (e.g., going to work, buying food, etc.). That's a slippery slope that would take us all the way down to virus transmission being out of control again. I think that each risk-assumption decision should stand on its own, they shouldn't be based on a "well, I already did something else that could have been risky, so why not take some more risks?" logic.

I hope you don't take this personally, @sniper, but I feel like addressing a few points in your post. I'm doing it not to pass a value judgment on whether you or anyone else should get a massage, but instead to highlight the risks involved so that people are making that decision fully informed and without unexamined rationalizations.

How do we define the "area"? Country by country, state by state, county by county, city by city, neighborhood by neighborhood? Do we interview the masseur about his whereabouts in the past 14 days at that "area" level (e.g., is it risky for him to have left his "low-prevalence" county at any point to step foot in a "high-prevalence" county?)?

How do we define "low prevalence" for purpose of deciding with whom to interact in close quarters?

What kind of mask? For example, would a simple blue surgical mask worn for over an hour, getting moist from your breathing, effectively protect you from virus particles that might be floating in the room if the masseur has been coughing, sneezing, speaking a lot in that room, and there's no good air circulation in there?

Also, do we check what mask the masseur is wearing, that it is still effective (e.g., not overused) and that he is wearing it properly the entire time?

Do we double-check that the substance being used as disinfectant is effective enough to do the job (e.g., that it's not a cheap mix of mostly water with a bit of alcohol?) Do we supervise the cleaning process?

Yes, "relatively" is the key word there. When one compares a massage with, on the one hand, being in absolute no-contact, hermit-like lockdown and, on the other hand, going around licking doorknobs, then a massage is relatively safe.

In terms of the masseur's odds of being sick, well that depends on how one responds to the questions and assumptions noted above and below.

Same questions about how to define "low" prevalence and whether "state" is how we should define the area level at which prevalence levels should be looked at.

That's a lot of trust. How many one-hour, transactional encounters should we have had with a masseur to trust his answers to the relevant questions above? That aside, should we consider that the very fact this is a transactional encounter can motive masseurs to act in less-than-ideal ways (e.g., not disclose that he did go to Fire Island because he feels well and because he knows that disclosing that he traveled there could mean he looses business he desperately needs to pay rent?).

These are all rhetorical questions to illustrate the issue. I'm not actually asking for answers.

You seem to be arguing for a level of precaution that, if straight people applied it to STDs, the human race would die out. I am assuming the person in question has an existing relationship with a provider they know and have some sense of their level of responsibility/what type of clients they see. If you want zero risk of contracting it from a massage, the answer is, clearly, don't get a massage.

You seem to be arguing for a level of precaution that, if straight people applied it to STDs, the human race would die out. I am assuming the person in question has an existing relationship with a provider they know and have some sense of their level of responsibility/what type of clients they see. If you want zero risk of contracting it from a massage, the answer is, clearly, don't get a massage.

Well, I wasn't arguing for any particular level of precaution. I was correctly pointing out that the scenario you presented is underpinned by many assumptions and unspoken conclusions about what makes getting a massage safe/safer, which is OP's question. And I think your reply summarizes that issue quite well. You're secure in the idea that you know how responsible your masseur is and what kind of clients he sees (even though you're not with him 99% of the time and only know what he chooses to tell you). Based on that trust, you feel safe and have assumed the risk of getting a massage from him. And that's fine. Like I said, I wasn't judging whether you made the right choice or not. My point stands either way.

To go back to your initial point about precautions though, different medical risks certainty require taking different levels of precaution. Covid-19 can't be compared to STDs in terms of how you catch them, their impact on the human body even when they are diagnosed early, treatment options, and prevention/testing strategies (which, in fact, does make it possible for straight people to procreate while keeping the entire human race from both dying out and inevitably developing gonorrhea).

Appreciate all the thoughtful responses. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I'm not expecting a vaccine by election day (as someone in the White House would like me to think) but one will come one day. I can always check in with this one guy who ran a spa. Poor guy probably had to shut it down.

I work from home and only go out side for a walk and to the grocery store. Occasional errands. I've eaten at an outdoor restaurant where all the servers wear masks. I believe I've been careful and safe, but we just don't know. Dammit. This really feels like the 80s all over again.

Appreciate all the thoughtful responses. I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I'm not expecting a vaccine by election day (as someone in the White House would like me to think) but one will come one day. I can always check in with this one guy who ran a spa. Poor guy probably had to shut it down.

I work from home and only go out side for a walk and to the grocery store. Occasional errands. I've eaten at an outdoor restaurant where all the servers wear masks. I believe I've been careful and safe, but we just don't know. Dammit. This really feels like the 80s all over again.

Actually this is harder to avoid than HIV in the 80s. But it is like the 80s in that whenever you are intimate with somebody, then you are also being intimate with everybody else he has been intimate with.

Edited by Wanderoz

Guest JakeAsherXXX

Ha!

Just get the massage. You’ll be fine.

Speaking of gas pumps, I hit on a rather quick and easy fix in the time of COVID. I have two dogs that occasionally go for car rides, so I keep a roll of poop bags in the car for emergency purposes. Turns out they're also great for covering your hand when you go to reach for the pump handle. It's like a mitten pot holder. Just discard when you're done.

Just get the massage. You’ll be fine.

Or not fine... but I have to agree. This topic will kill everybody mentally more than it will physically.

I do agree, in part, with the response to my post above about "slippery slopes" (even though I doubt individuals seeking a massage with one other individual will cause quite the same spike in cases as sporting events and rallies) and determining if you should take a risk out of necessity (a.k.a. shop for groceries) versus a "decide" issue (a.k.a. massage). Yet you can easily apply that same logic to driving a car. Should I risk death on the road and waste gasoline to go shop for groceries or visit a masseur?

There is something that does bother me with the way these conversations morph over time. Sometimes certain phobias develop into prejudices and typecasting. A masseur is not just a random stranger you bump into who may or may not be carrying The Virus. Like a doctor, nurse, dentist and hair stylist who must touch as part of the profession, he does put a lot of effort into personal hygiene and worries a lot about spreading anything he might contract to his clients. Yes, it is "safest" to stay at home and not touch or be touched by anybody. Yet touching does become as "necessary" as getting food at the store. At least the masseur will try very, very hard to make the experience "safer" even if he can't promise it will be the "safest".

Ha!

I think I posted this on another thread where a client was complaining when the masseur stopped responding when he asked about COVID precautions/concerns. This shouldn't be a surprise since by definition getting a massage goes against the recommendations of physical distancing. He'll immediately think you are trolling him or wasting his time. Imagine you're buying alcohol and before paying you start asking if by drinking alcohol you could have a car accident. What do you think it's going to be their reaction when you ask this kind of question?

A masseur is not just a random stranger you bump into who may or may not be carrying The Virus. Like a doctor, nurse, dentist and hair stylist who must touch as part of the profession, he does put a lot of effort into personal hygiene and worries a lot about spreading anything he might contract to his clients. Yes, it is "safest" to stay at home and not touch or be touched by anybody. Yet touching does become as "necessary" as getting food at the store. At least the masseur will try very, very hard to make the experience "safer" even if he can't promise it will be the "safest".

We have all either read about or experienced masseurs who do NOT have the best personal hygiene, home cleanliness, professionalism, etc. Now imagine that their failing isn't just an inconvenience and fodder for a forum thread, but rather a pathway to make you sick with a life-threatening illness which you will also expose your friends and family to. Yes, we'd love to expect providers to keep their studios as clean as a hospital, but the fact is most are not educated in any type of protocols for cleanliness, and you are taking your life and the lives of others in your hand for that happy ending.