Coming Out Stories PLS

Guest jaythomasz
This topic is 1319 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest jaythomasz

I'm a 22yo good Catholic boy who happens to LOVE BWC. Can some if y'all boomers share some cumming out stories!? Give me something to look forward to plsss....

My coming out to my parents was really quite easy. I was lucky. I left home right from high school to attend college across the country in NYC. It was a drama school so my male classmates were primarily gay. It really helped with my “gayness” and comfort level. When it was time to return home on my Christmas break, I decided this would be my time to come out to my family. Of course, I put it off for days. Finally, I had to do it. While we were at the Christmas breakfast table, I blurted out, “I’m gay.” My mother’s response was, “That’s nice. Please pass the coffee.” That was it! It was a non-starter! Come to find out, they knew since I was a little kid. But, it was nice to finally verbalize it.

Not a Boomer but mine was similar as Dave above, one day after dinner with my mom and I decided to say, but I just couldn't so started getting really anxious and she asked me what was wrong and I just said "I'm gay" and her response was "That's it?" pretty much a non starter.

My father was a lot more of an emotional thing, we hugged and it was all very dramatic, but equally accepting.

My coming out to my parents was really quite easy. I was lucky.

I wasn't so lucky. I struggled for years to convince myself that I wasn't attracted to men despite the available evidence. Being busy at school helped, but when I finally graduated law school, I had fewer excuses. I had been dating a lovely woman for five years, but I realized that I was in love with my male roommate. I could never have those feelings with women, so I broke up* and came out. My family was good about it, especially my dad. I've never looked back.

*The girlfriend was pissed and never spoke to me again.

I wasn't so lucky. I struggled for years to convince myself that I wasn't attracted to men despite the available evidence. Being busy at school helped, but when I finally graduated law school, I had fewer excuses. I had been dating a lovely woman for five years, but I realized that I was in love with my male roommate. I could never have those feelings with women, so I broke up* and came out. My family was good about it, especially my dad. I've never looked back.

Gen-X here, but similar story. There was a woman involved, but it was me never quite making the move to be romantic that finally made me say "dude, you're gay" at 30. I came out to others at 33. No one had an issue at all. One of my straight friends said something to the effect of "I hope you didn't feel like I'd reject you if you told me sooner." A few years later my dad mentioned that he wasn't surprised but was glad I was able to come out and stop hiding. This is the same dad who tried setting me up with one of his physicians. When I said I wasn't interested he asked me what kind of guys I like.

I'm a 22yo good Catholic boy who happens to LOVE BWC. Can some if y'all boomers share some cumming out stories!? Give me something to look forward to plsss....

If it is any consolation, Boomers and Gen X-ers aren't the only ones who have struggled with coming out. When I co-facilitated a men's coming out group about 20 - 40 percent of the members were college age to late 20's. and another 30 - 50 percent in their mid-30's to mid-40's.

To paraphrase Depeche Mode, people are people, so why would it be, that different age groups would experience differently?